MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Re: Re:

Post by MaestraFénix »

Plasma HeadCrabD wrote:
sgae wrote:i prefer new maps, new npc's and new weapons before "lua"
i agree sgae say
lua is good things to make new maps new weapons.you know i'm talking about.
also,it has more creative for mappers.
Necroposting, Plasma, necroposting.

One thing more just before lock this thread: It was rejected, or maybe "one day"?
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

JerC
Donator
Donator

Re: Lua Implementation

Post by JerC »

Necroposting? Uhm..
Please don't take my posts before 2013 too seriously. It will be better for both you and I :c
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Well, seeing as this thread just got necromancer'd to the equivalent of bringing George Washington back from the dead, we might as well continue with it.

I vote yes. Because we need smarter NPC's, who do not have worse aim than Storm Troopers.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

Where does it say that it got rejected? it's still on my ToDo list O.o
You need to remember that the team has undergone some changes since this thread started~
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

I'm all for a Lua implementation, I don't find the argument: "But it will make OC more unstable" very valid. Lua is not what makes things unstable, it's the implementation and that can be true with any feature. As long as Lua is properly implemented, we shouldn't have many problems.
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Gary wrote:As long as Lua is properly implemented, we shouldn't have many problems.
Well that isn't a job for Neico then because he's the reason why shooting Garg gibs crashes the game. Why ragdolls no longer work. And why Assassin AI is now useless.

All in which he never got around to fixing because he claimed it was unfixable or just never wanted to do it. Our new coder Mmav, who is 14 years old, has to fix all of these things himself. (And is succeeding so far.) Proving that Neico either lacks some knowledge in his own work, in which he should dedicate himself to learning and improving more within it; or he is just lazy and not safe to rely on.

He is the only coder on the team who is so concerned about adding lua, so its safe to say he wants to do the lua coding himself. Do you think he'd be up for it without screwing things up? Do you think he'll be anymore reliable than he is now? I'm just saying, that if Neico still codes the way he does now when lua coding is added, than the lua coding will probably end up being more of a problem than a fun addition.

If lua coding is such a priority, than you guys should really go talk to Nican from GMod Tower. I hear he is god tier at lua scripting and may just be willing to help, maybe..
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Keychain wrote:
Gary wrote:As long as Lua is properly implemented, we shouldn't have many problems.
Well that isn't a job for Neico then because he's the reason why shooting Garg gibs crashes the game. Why ragdolls no longer work. And why Assassin AI is now useless.

All in which he never got around to fixing because he claimed it was unfixable or just never wanted to do it. Our new coder Mmav, who is 14 years old, has to fix all of these things himself. (And is succeeding so far.) Proving that Neico either lacks some knowledge in his own work, in which he should dedicate himself to learning and improving more within it; or he is just lazy and not safe to rely on.

He is the only coder on the team who is so concerned about adding lua, so its safe to say he wants to do the lua coding himself. Do you think he'd be up for it without screwing things up? Do you think he'll be anymore reliable than he is now? I'm just saying, that if Neico still codes the way he does now when lua coding is added, than the lua coding will probably end up being more of a problem than a fun addition.

If lua coding is such a priority, than you guys should really go talk to Nican from GMod Tower. I hear he is god tier at lua scripting and may just be willing to help, maybe..
Keychain, there are priorities. LUA will be come after fix all these problems. Also, is better have one coder than none.

Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Maestro Fénix wrote: Keychain, there are priorities. LUA will be come after fix all these problems. Also, is better have one coder than none.
Ok, first off, what are you talking about? When did I say we should get rid of Neico? I never said anything like that, I said he should improve in what he does before he moves onto something else. That way he shows to be more reliable than he currently is and is less likely to break something else that is important. Also, we have 2 coders, not 1, or 0. Where are you getting your argument from? lol

And most of these problems are already fixed or are in the progress of being fixed, by Mmav. Not Neico. Because Neico said these problems were unfixable/didn't want to fix them. But when Mmav is able to fix them easily, it just goes to show that Neico wasn't giving it his all. If Neico isn't the one fixing his own mistakes, than how reliable does that make him?
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

A 14 year old is fixing problems that an older coder couldn't fix. We need more 14 year olds, ASAP. Then my dream of a battle axe melee that is also throwable would have a +33% chance of coming true.

But I don't care much for new features as much as improving ones that we already have. ie. Merchant menu, NPC's aim, NPC's constantly stepping out of cover/rushing too much to make them an easy kill, etc...
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

Keychain wrote:When did I say we should get rid of Neico?
You didn't but you make it sound like you do...

I won't react to that other crap, just waste of time...
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

I'm giving you criticism here, Neico. The only thing I have against you are your lazy, selfish ways of working on this mod. You take little to no suggestions on your work and you are extremely stubborn. Otherwise you seem like a really nice person (though this is bringing unnecessary personal manners in.)

Why don't you try fixing something you broke in 1.35? Like the ragdolls or something. Even if Mmav already fixed it, I could regain hope in you if you manage to fix one of these errors that you called "unfixable." I'm absolutely positive that W0rf0x and Tysn can agree with me on this matter.

It's nothing personal, Neico! You're like the best friend of my boyfriend so I don't want to have a bad relationship with you! I'm trying to help you realize your errors and help you dedicate yourself to fixing it and improving.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

I can't remember to have said that they are unfixable, rather that they make no sense (and some of those might have happened because I imported parts of the newer sdk code where some parts might have been needed to completely work, this will change as I'm already at it to completely update to the newer sdk code, this has different reasons that W0rf0x should already know, if he didn't forget them...)

And my lack of time due to school and around that makes this all not a bit easier...

but that's something I've said a couple of times and doesn't really belong to this thread anyways...

but to say something more or less related: I'm a person who you could call semi-perfectionist, if you didn't notice, I release pretty rarely new dll's and so on the SVN. Why? Because I don't upload a DLL which isn't working as I expect it (or a feature). This however is sometimes not easy to maintain if there is something urgent to fix, like an option that W0rf0x needs for his maps

Don't think that I like to leave something half-finished laying around but some parts were needed for like the muzzleflash and assassin thing...
And I don't really get what you mean with the assassins being useless? what's wrong with them?
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

Neico wrote:And I don't really get what you mean with the assassins being useless? what's wrong with them?
Neico, in the moment that she makes a jump, there is a 70% of probability that she get gliched, sliding and firing in one direction, or getting crouched.

I thought that you knew this in the bugtracker.

Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Neico wrote:And I don't really get what you mean with the assassins being useless? what's wrong with them?
Dude.. when was the last time you played OC? lol

Assassins have a like 90% chance of becoming glitched. They'll do their usual leap into the air, then land on the ground, but they are still in their falling animation when they land. And they'll slowly begin to hover in a random direction. They still shoot, but not very effectively and they're practically sitting ducks for anything that wants to kill it.

Go launch a map that has them and you'll see for yourself (not in the SVN, idk if Mmav has fixed it yet or not.)

I was told this was due to a coding error made by yourself that you never fixed.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

wrong, it was in an attempt to fix the bug that she started with that animation stucking on walls like oc_kake had, and the way you described it never happened back there~
and no one ever reported it to me or the bugtracker either.
All I can say is that I hate this HL1 AI but will look into that when I get the time...
PS: http://bugs.obsidianconflict.net/view.php?id=6 this is all I have, very informative if you ask me~