Setting up an oc Server

Server Help/Discussion.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

still, it isn't meant to be used for anything else then syn

btw. the wiki is back now since a while, how about updating it a bit?
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

And no ones going to install steam on a dedicated box to run steams vgui dedicated server tool, which is a waste of resources.
JigglyWiggly
Banned

Post by JigglyWiggly »

Spoon God wrote:I know this is an old thread, but this might be simpler for some people.
I find it much easier to use the syn dedicated serv tool from the tools tab in steam. It hosts for OC (change to it in the drop-down menu) and it works perfectly - i didn't even have to set anything up.
Problem with that, wouldn't I need to own 2 sets of half life 2 along with the orange box and such? Because I was confused on how that would work on a server with no previous game installations except Synergy Dedicated Server... Well it doesn't, when I run it it says I must own a source engine game to run mods. Makes sense, but what if I just bought another copy of Half life 2 deathmatch, and just took all the gcf files form my desktop to my server, would that work? I doubt it, and this is starting to be unpractical D: Only seems to be nice if you have 2 sets of the orange box... Which I must say is quite cheap at only 30 dollars, but this isn't guaranteed to work forever. What would really be nice is just a dedicated obsidian conflict server tool, makes life easier... And yeah, it probably would spring up a lot more dedicated servers, not that the gcf way is hard or anything, it just takes a few minutes.
W0rf0x wrote:And no ones going to install steam on a dedicated box to run steams vgui dedicated server tool, which is a waste of resources.
On the launch commands you could just do -console and I doubt it really uses anything, though I never use the GUI, it's pointless really lol.
laserrobotics
Polygon
Polygon

Post by laserrobotics »

EDIT: Since my Steam install is on the F drive, and windows defaults to C, would that cause problems with just running a bat file? Because the updater only worked when I manually navigated to it through the cmd window, and then typed in the line of commands.

EDIT AGAIN: What I did specifically was this:
cd "C:\Program Files\Valve\HLServer"
hldsupdatetool -command update -game "tf" -dir "F:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\audiosurfyes\source dedicated server"

and then it started downloading. It would not work unless I used cd to change the directory first.
laserrobotics
Polygon
Polygon

Post by laserrobotics »

Is there anyone who would be willing to spend a portion of a day with me over steam trying to get my server working? I've done everything said here, I've forwarded ports 27005-27020 to the right ip address, and both firewalls have those ports and all the steam things as exceptions, but nobody but me can connect to the server. It shows up in the server list for OC, but refuses to let people in.
JigglyWiggly
Banned

Post by JigglyWiggly »

For me I had to do -ip mylanip for it to show up on the server list. So this is how I start mine up -console -game obsidian +map oc_lobby +maxplayers 20 +fps_max 1000 -ip 192.168.1.118 +r_hunkalloclightmaps 0

Also tbh, I have no idea what you were talking about in your preivous post. My SRCDS is on my F:\ drive. All I had to do with install srcds to it F:\SRCDS, then go to cmd
F:
cd srcds
hldsupdatetool -command blablah blah -dir F:\srcds
laserrobotics
Polygon
Polygon

Post by laserrobotics »

I got it all working and everything now with the help of Beboo, but what do I do to make it be Classic Co-op and not Teamplay? I can't find any configuration settings or anything about that.

EDIT: Never mind that, the problem was that, when I used this guide, the preset config file was for Counterstrike and I hadn't completely commented out all the teamplay-specific variables. It's fine now(called The Mysterious Circle Cave).
terry0423
Vertex
Vertex

Post by terry0423 »

thanks for the guide, done all the step and work perfectly

thanks a lot!
Terry the "Mint"
Hong Kong Coop player

nice to meet you all

Alfie
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Alfie »

I get this error when trying to launch my server D:

Mr2D
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Mr2D »

I have the same problem... :(
themoldyone
Polygon
Polygon

I found a problem with your guid.

Post by themoldyone »

There is no quotes around your installation directory like

C:\***srcds folder***

Needs "C:\(Where every it is)"

Remember the quotes or it wont work.
LeoKilo
Pixel

Post by LeoKilo »

Im going to start a dedicated server since only about a few servers are on. What do you mean by tf" -dir C:\***srcds folder*** Exactly whats the ***srcds*** mean? is that where the game is or i just leave it like that

:?: :?: :?:
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

try to look at http://wiki.obsidianconflict.net/?title ... indows_%29 as this might have a more user friendly description (if not, someone could go ahead and clean that up...)
LeoKilo
Pixel

Post by LeoKilo »

what is srcds directory
STEAM: LeoKilo
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

The folder you want to install hldsupdatetool in.