Why have a linux section in the wiki with no binaries...?

Server Help/Discussion.
rodneyreynolds2
Pixel

Why have a linux section in the wiki with no binaries...?

Post by rodneyreynolds2 »

This is kind of aggrivating, but why is the whole Linux section filled out, when there's no Linux binaries? I mean it's a big waste of time, you could have mentioned it before getting to the very end of the page to see "this section is not done yet".

Unless there are, and I am totally blind, in which you can just punch me in the face... I mean according to the bugtracker, it's been assigned to Neico for like ever now.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Re: Why have a linux section in the wiki with no binaries..

Post by Neico »

I don't feel like wasting time with fixing after many broken parts which actually are fixed on the newest source engine but not released for mods (THANKS VERY MUCH VALVE !!!)
so unless you somehow get valve's ass up so that they stop making useless things and actually start supporting the modding community part which actually made them popular again will there be probably no linux bins...

Also I wrote the linux part in there too because I actually have an Linux version running here and why not adding it when I was rewriting the entire article?
rodneyreynolds2
Pixel

Post by rodneyreynolds2 »

I see what you mean, but I just said that because it seems like the Linux version was working when I saw that article... I mean when you get to the last step you're like "Ah shit".

Oh well, I think I heard it works in Wine.

Though I'm confused how you have Linux version if you said it doesn't work? Is it that you can't distrobute it or something...? Or is it for like an older version?

Oh and one last thing, when was the latest source engine update? Is it when the Mac OSX version of steam came out?
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

the last update was back in 15.6.2009 but the oc code is based of an older version due to different reasons which i'm not going to explain.

And Yeah the Linux version works up to one point, but that's it it has many crashes and bugs that need to be fixed (and most of them seem to be fixed in the yet unreleased code)
IceTea
Vertex
Vertex

Post by IceTea »

Yeah, I purchased a Linux server box recently and was extremely hoping to get a server for Obsidian Conflict, now I'm pretty frustrated.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Good that you want an Obsidian server, bad you didn't check first hand if Obsidian supported Linux.

I think Linux is a bit of an old myth, it was a great alternative 10 years ago, but there are alot of windows programs that can emulate the things people were looking for from a linux server.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

wrong

Linux was and is the best solution for servers, where you can run only around 5 game servers on a windows one are you able to run around 20 on the identical hardware

the problem why there are no Linux bins yet is simple: the entire oc code never was made with Linux support in mind (yeah thanks hyper and skidz) so there MANY crashes and bugs there, and debugging on Linux is "a bit" harder as on windows (and if you try to make a debug bin build so that you can really debug that thing you're going to lose your mind thanks to that old code from valve which was never really designed for that build...)

I'd rather want to wait till valve releases their new engine code which actually has better support for that (Hey valve get your lazy asses of your seat)
or, the alternative, wait till I've got the entire oc code rewritten which then 1. should be more smoothly 2. would be easier to look at for me 3. has linux support in mind
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I guess you're right, I wouldn't really know. But what I do know is we have windows and it works!

Its just I don't know that many people who actually bother to run 20 server slots unless they are a gaming rental service.
Of course the plus side of this is more rental companies offering OC servers (but its also likely they won't support mounting 4-5 other game contents)

Meaning the majority of 'bedroom' servers will be run on windows, as it has always been. (Ok I'm sure there are one or two 'bedroom' Linux servers out there (but the number I'm sure will be smaller).

New engine update will probably = a few new bugs

I hate the thought of code rewites, its got to be better to keep uptodate as best as possible until you're forced by compatability reasons to
have to rewrite.

I guess I look for the diamonds to sparkle, I guess I'm not server operator friendly enough would rather see new features that attract players, get the players then get the server stuff sorted, at the moment, servers are plenty, players are 'consistent albiet low'.

I just dont think a code re-write at this satge is such a good idea with one coder. It means other things will suffer.

If you had a team of 3-4 coders and you were twiddling your thumbs with nothing to do I'd say sure do it.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

I'm doing that very code rewrite since a while now (keep getting busy with other stuff tough hence there isn't any good progress at it at all, and that waiting for the steam release makes it much worse I'm kinda losing interest of using it or doing anything at all..., if it's not going to happen soon then I'll just focus on that new code~)
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

So you're saying you would stop working on the current code we were going to use for the steamworks release and work on your code rewrite instead?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Pass, I couldn't quite work out which he means, though he did say to me the other day he was learning how to implement LUA stuff.

Neico, you're doing a grand job, but try not to get bogged down with too much work. Its like me I had too many mapping projects and was helping other people at same time and really, I just can't do it. Keep focused on those priorities W0rf0x delegates.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

well why bother with the current stuff if there is no progress at all... (I'm waiting for damn 3 months now that something happens from valve and NOTHING, even talking to them is like talking to a fraking wall, as long as that don't change am I not in the mood to do anything...)
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I can understand your frustrations but waiting on Valve for things could mean you've got a long wait.

So let me understand this right, you're relying on an engine update to do what exactly?

Fix some bugs?

Bring new features?

Make coding easier?

What else is there?

Currently you make it sound as if the mod is un-playable, un-improvable and un-workable.

And I honestly don't think that is the case.

The mod has survived through 4 years of Valve doing stuff to its engine, and in every update Obsidian has improved. Its not all about the code, models and maps make up a huge part of brining new features and catching players eyes.

Just do the best you can and everything will be ok, engine or no engine update.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

I was talking about the steamworks stuff, that the engine update probably never will come is already in my mind...
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Sorry I got confused...

So the Steamworks stuff? is ok? being worked on? is not held up by anything to do with Valve, right?

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database