Rebooting my OC Server after 2 Years

Server Help/Discussion.
Lucky9Two
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Rebooting my OC Server after 2 Years

Post by Lucky9Two »

So I've decided to go about re-booting my OC server for the first time since 2010 before I joined GS, except now there's been a hotfix, a de-list fix, and a campaign extractor.

Docs I'm using:
http://wiki.obsidianconflict.net/?title ... er_Setup_2
http://wiki.obsidianconflict.net/?title ... rver_Setup
De-List Fix
CVar Recommendations
Thread

Here's what I've done:

HLDSUpdateTool
-Updated Orangebox
-Updated CSS
-Updated Episode1

-Deleted srcds/orangebox/hl2
-Copied srcds/hl2 to srcds/orangebox/hl2

-Installed OC 1.35 w/ server setting on installer
-Installed 0.1.3.5 Server hotfix

-Updated my Batch File (Batch File)

-Downloaded the 32bit version of Campaign-extract.exe
-Downloaded the 32bit version of HLLib.dll
-Downloaded Campaign-extract.reg

Now I'm lost because it just gives this error every time I run:

Given that I can't find any instructions for the campaign extractor, how do I use it?

"For though I fly through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I will fear no evil, for I am at 70,000 feet and climbing"
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Re: Rebooting my OC Server after 2 Years

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Did you backup your orangebox/bin folder before updating CS:S (see here for an explanation)? If you did not, then the update tool would have replaced its contents with versions incompatible with OC (or any mods, for that matter).
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

I would make a shared folder where you update stuff like css etc. into and only run orangebox in the folder where you install the server at (I'm using Symbolic Links to add the contetn from the shared folder)
and using episode1 is ONLY for ep1 mods which we aren't
also forget about the hl2 folder, if you use the campaign extractor only use the hl2 folder that it produces

also: the campaign extractor does nothing more then find the gcf files trough the registry key (hence the registry file in case you don't have steam but the gcf's) and extract the content in the right order so that you can't screw up the hl2 folder for example (since may do that somehow)
Lucky9Two
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Lucky9Two »

I did that, and I even tried with a blank slate & just installing orangebox. Now I get this error:

I downloaded a set of Source2007 binaries you posted from This Thread & it didn't make a difference.

Still running this error after 12+ hours of Googling & trying different things.

If I don't replace the orangebox/hl2 directory, it opens and spouts a list of files it can't find. Replacing it makes the error appear.

Going to try the campaign extractor now. I installed(?)the registry key. I don't even know what the registry does or how it works but it's there so it must be important.

"For though I fly through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I will fear no evil, for I am at 70,000 feet and climbing"
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

open the registry file with a text editor, it's not that hard to understand (and stop only doing half of what I say...)
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Somehow, I have a gut feeling that Valve may have changed something to cause this... Will try to create a new server to see if there's something wrong with a default install.

Edit:
Yep, it does indeed appear on a fresh install. Replacing engine binaries and srcds.exe has no effect. Will investigate further.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
Lucky9Two
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Lucky9Two »

Neico wrote:it's not that hard to understand (and stop only doing half of what I say...)
I'm reading what's been told to me & I'm still not understanding. I have a comprehension disability so I can't fully understand things by reading them. If I knew anything about what I was doing I wouldn't ask for help because I have a better relationship with Google than actual people.

I have the .gcf files copied to my box, and running it gave an error:

I Googled that & found out it's a C++ redistributable so I installed it.

Ran again, got this:

It worked, however. Content was extracted.

Ran the server again, got this old thing:

I remember that from the last time I hosted, and fixed it.

Now to just fix the de-listing & debug and I should be good.
Last edited by Lucky9Two on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

there were always such errors, in the current SVN version there are like 6x as much as before since the new mounting system is not perfect yet

also SteamPath is the path where the app appends steamapps to get into the location of the gcf files (the registry file is supposed to provide people who don't have steam installed but have the required gcf's at a specifc location to set that registry key to that location)

the other key is just to pre-define the Output folder (which shouldn't give an error if that key isn't present)

For the redist: https://www.wuala.com/neico/Public/ I've always got a them stored there

PS: you might be interested in this one: http://www.obsidianconflict.net/forums/ ... =26&t=2977 (but please don't ask me how that shared folder setup stuff works I'd need to make a Video Tutorial for that D:)
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Apparently, the fix is really as simple as merging the two hl2 folders, instead of deleting the one inside orangebox.

In other words, copy the contents of hl2 to orangebox/hl2 to fix this issue. They're mutually exclusive, so there won't be any prompts to overwrite anything.

Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

That's basically what my campaign-extractor should do D:
Lucky9Two
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Lucky9Two »

I got the Junction installed, now I'm running the batch files. Took longer to get the junction working through DOS than it did to fix the batch files.

Server 2003, how does it work.

Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... llext.html

this one bascially makes it easier to use them (it also works for Symbolic Links)
one think to keep in mind is that if you delete a junktion you're deleting the Junktion + it's target which is not good, so always use the Shell Ext. to remove them

Basically what you do is letting the shared setup run and mark all the folders in srcds/orangebox except bin and reslist / reslists and add a Junktion in the game server orangebox folder, it'll look like this: http://puu.sh/Pk56 (here the platform folder is also not a Link, I'm honestly not sure if I should change that I'm still playing with that)

It's really hard to explain the next part as it's the most complicated with that setup, so I'll take my time and edit it in here in some minutes...

Shared Folder Structure

Code: Select all

campaign
- <content from campaign-extract, hl2, ep2 etc.>
<additional content like killingfloor>
mods
- mods like obsidian, human error etc.
hlds
- <goldsource game content (hl1)>
srcds
- hl2
- orangebox
-- ep2, episodic, hl1, hl1mp, hl2, lostcoast, portal, zeno_clash -> shared/campaign/<...>
OC Game Server structure

- hl2 -> shared/srcds/hl2
- orangebox
-- bin -> created by -command update -game orangebox
-- <mods like human_error> -> shared/mods/<...>
-- obsidian -> actual server folder
-- <rest> -> shared/srcds/orangebox/<rest> (those folder might actually be links to folders outside srcds or so)
PS: this is a highly advanced and simplified structure I've build, I don't expect anyone to understand it, but if you do you're able to save not only disk space but also maintenance time for updating the content (making the whole hldsupdatetool progress extremly fast, I personally run the shared content update script via scheduled task every night at 1:00 AM), and it's extremly easy to add new content and game servers to the overall structure.
Lucky9Two
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Lucky9Two »

Ok, I got it up now. Can anyone tell me if they can see and/or join it @

108.38.120.147:27015

It works! I had about a dozen people in it at one point. Thanks for your help!

I'm also looking for a plugin that blacklists certain player models, like Gordon Freeman.
Would this be what I'm looking for?

This is all I need for SourceMod now that I have it up.

Lucky9Two
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Lucky9Two »

Bumping so you see this.

Campaign extractor didn't do any extracting. None of the HL2/EP1/EP2/CSS maps work. People were reporting missing textures when I put the CSS maps into the OC directory. I tried copying the maps from EP1/2 into the OC folder but that just screwed up the whole thing. Going to wipe & restart.

I honestly don't have a clue anymore at this point. The extractor runs, but stays at 0.0% for <5 seconds before closing.

So I'm going to delete the OC folder, update orangebox, re-install, put hotfix on, and then go from there because this is WAY more complicated than it was a few years ago.

Here's how my server tree is:

D:/srcds/orangebox/obsidian

I only know what Google & other people tell me. If I'm not supposed to do it like that then, please by all means instruct me on how to do it right. I'm running more on finding what works than anything else. I do what half-assed docs/webpages tell me, then when it doesn't work I sling things around until it does because I don't know any other way to do things. Asking people doesn't really help either because I can't understand what people tell me because of my disability, so I end up reading things the wrong way & fraking them up even more. It's a really great experience.

I honestly don't know how the system works, how the server itself works, or how anything works. I just know what I can read & halfway understand since I have no one IRL or on the net who knows anything about computers. The people I do know are elitists from hell so they just mock me for not knowing while not giving advice on how to learn.

At this point, I've thrown my phone at the wall because it was ringing, downed 6 bottles of water in 1 hour, and am about fed up with this since I can't fraking follow simple instruction because I'm a fraking retarded moron.

God. fraking. Damn.

I'm really sorry, but that needed to come out.

Every other person who runs a server knows what they're doing because they're able to understand things easily. Granted I'm intelligent, but intelligence doesn't do anything at all without basic comprehension skills.

I apologize in advance for the trouble/frustrations I know I'm giving people.

Please don't hold it against me for being like I am. I know I'm a bit ignorant or hard to understand at times, and I'm really sorry about it. I try my best not to get under people's skin.

I'm just going to go to bed now. I've been going at this for >20 hours straight with <=3 hours of sleep only to have it blow up in my face at 0130 in the morning.

TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Calm down, setting up and maintaining a server isn't quite as straightforward or fun as one would initially expect (especially for mods, it sure seems that Valve doesn't like to make things any easier for us).

Now with regard to extracting campaign content, the content should be retained in their respective folders within the orangebox folder and not merged into the obsidian folder (e.g. orangebox/episodic for HL2:EP1, and orangebox/cstrike for CS:S). This might seem counterintuitive at first glance, but it is designed as such to facilitate dynamic content mounts and overrides (since certain GCF files actually override older versions present in others).

Since you're still relatively unfamiliar with the procedure, might I suggest making a duplicate of the entire server folder as soon as it is stable? That way, if you screw something up by accident, you can start over again in significantly less time.
JVanover92 wrote:I'm also looking for a plugin that blacklists certain player models, like Gordon Freeman.
Would this be what I'm looking for?
Nope, that's no longer needed with the release of 0.1.3.5 Hotfix 3 (thanks for reminding me, I'd forgotten to mark it as deprecated). Instead, this plugin could help you achieve the same effect by simply reserving the model you wish to blacklist using an invalid Steam ID.

sm_reservemodelid INVALIDSTEAMID models/player/gordon.mdl
To reverse this and allow players to use it again, simply use the command

sm_unreservemodel gordon.mdl
Both commands are to be used in the server console, or through rcon.