[SOLVED] Areaportals Are Messed Up

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Ok so I fixed everything and I get a steady average of 200 fps everywhere except the warehouse (lots of crates=bad fps).

What I did was close all visgroups except for "World Brushes". I ran the map, loaded the pointfile, and fixed any leaks that appeared until I had no more leaks.

Then I began making my areaportals. After each portal made I went in-game to see if it worked. You can check by typing "mat_wireframe 1" into the console. If you know how Open areaportals work you will recognize if it is working or not. If it didn't work, I'd fix it. If it did, I made the next one. Then I started opening up more vigroups, checking in-game after each visgroup I opened. I started with World Brushes, then Lights, Triggers, Brush entities, Func details, then last was props and point entities.

Some tips:
- Zoom out and see if any purple boxes pop out of your world brushes. If it does, this is an entity that is touching the void through the brush. Simply extend the brush to cover it.
- Areaportals automerge if they are aligned in the same axis. If this affects you, simply cut back the width of the areaportal by 1 unit. (The point of this is you don't want the center of ne areaportal to line up with another)
- It's also a good idea to make all your portals Open at first and then once they work you can customize them.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

cool, 200fps is more than exceptable.

If your warehouse is really a problem you considered mixing the crates betweern physics with some brush made one tied to func_detail? certainly one on ground level in the back ground or something?

I turnt all my old phys crates in brushes in the end, but I was struggling a lot more with fps than you are. when a nade goes off next to a lot of crates it can really hit fps.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database