Creating a truck

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
Highlord
Pixel

Creating a truck

Post by Highlord »

I'm making a RPG style (Or, well, in the same style like harvest and paysan) map, where you should be able to move large crates. To do this, my only good idea so far has been a truck.

How would this be possible?
The only idea I can think of would be a horrible set of brushes grouped together, but I'd much rather go for a jeep with a custom model.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

You can go the Co-op way and make large crates only movable by 2 or more people.

Or you can use a magnetic crane as seen in Half Life 2's first coast map.

You can also use the jeep to push the crate around, however you'll need to find a way to pull it also.

Another possibility is to use the forklift model from either CSS or EP2 and use some clever Hammer skills to make it player driven and controllable. P.M. DaMaN and also check out his playercontrol prefabs. They should get you on the right track.

You can also find a drivable truck model on gmod.org and then have 2 or more players pick up the crate and place it on the truck and drive it away.
Highlord
Pixel

Post by Highlord »

Wow, thanks a lot on the fast reply!

Yeah, that has given me some good ideas, and the playercontrol prefabs sparked an interest >_<

also, so I don't have to create a new thread, is there any way I can make sure two enteties are at one of several positions before a phys_constraint can be turned on?

or, to try to make it simpler,
is there any way I can make location a criteria before I can make it possible for a phys_constraint to be turned on?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Just like to relpy to first.

Yes the crane is a good idea. (Also in the episodes there is a model of a crane like what you see at a large boat yard for moving containers the type that move along on rail tracks carrying from a to b, something like that would be cool).

As for models and jeeps, yes if you found a truck model/or jeep/jalopy skin replacement it is possible to add your own vechile script that would need packing to a .res file as well as your map. Additionally you can also add customsoundscripts, all in all you should be able to convincingly replace the default models.

As for waiting for two entities to be in place, your best bet is to use triggers that specify a filter_activator_name.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
sven666
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by sven666 »

Use a trigger area, and use the OnStartTouch/OnEndTouch output to add/substract 1 point to a math_counter.
If you need 2 object in 2 different place, set the maximum value of the math_counter to 2.
Then add to the output of the math_counter : OnHitMax --- constrain --- enable.
You can use one or several trigger. If you want to apply the trigger for a particular object, use a filter_activator_name and add its name ine the filter field of the trigger.