.dxf to .map or .vmf?

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
shadow-will
prop_physics
prop_physics

.dxf to .map or .vmf?

Post by shadow-will »

hello.

ive searched high and low on the net and cant seem to find a program/tool/plugin that will enable hammer to import the .dxf file (god knows why it cant , it can export them yet not read them) does anyone know of a way to do it or have some info on it? surely valve have conisdered doing this by now , it would make things alot easyer for complicated geometry in hammer.

thanks people
TheMoon
prop_static
prop_static

Post by TheMoon »

I doubt that.
And I doubt that it would be of any use to import some model file into hammer, cause your probably not gonna work with brush-like structures in your modeling program, so hammer would probably only make invalid solids out of them.
Why dont you just turn that piece of geometry into a model? Its nicer (in most cases), and its rendered faster.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

XSI can export to VMF.
shadow-will
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by shadow-will »

yea i know , id still only use hammer, but its kind of interesting if you know what i mean. id also heard some jargan about XSi but, i dont have it and i dont want to risk being...sneakey <_<
TheMoon
prop_static
prop_static

Post by TheMoon »

Theres a free version of XSI, Modtool 4.2. I use it and although it has less functions than the full version there are no things I'd like to do with it which i can't. The only thing is that you can only render up to 512², but that shouldnt matter if you only design gamemodels/geometry.

If that is what youre searching for.