Cubemaping

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Cubemaping

Post by Scrap »

Firstly sorry for yet another help topic.
Secondly are there any common nonos to place cubemaps or tips for it where to place em because it seems i cant get them to work(i cant get most of the stuff to work realy)
What i do is just place em near the ground in all corners and place them out in a pattern. Then i compile the map , run the command buildcubemaps, restart my map and there not there. It seems that the skybox "cubemap" is working but none of the other arent. Its seems so simple but still i cant get it to work :cry:

also is there a way to brighten up your outdoor areas in some way? my light enviroment still leaves it quite dark.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Once you build cubemaps you need to restart the mod entirely.
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

skidz wrote:Once you build cubemaps you need to restart the mod entirely.
you mean quit the game? well tryed it, still wont show up strangely.
Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Hickadam »

Skybox cubemap...

What the....

I think you have the wrong idea about them son...

Cubemaps should be placed 64 units above the flooring for players guns and things to reflect their surroundings properly, and you really only need one per room, maybe a few for larger rooms. Their purpose is to give a reasonable reflection of the surrounding area. And if your map doesn't have a bunch of shiny floors, windows or shiny props, then you may, and I repeat MAY not need them for it to look alright.

You may have to play around with them a bit, but I have NEVER heard of putting one in a 3d skybox... I mean, I don't think that would do anything at all... unless the player physically walked into the skybox.

One thing that helped me is try not to have the cubemaps "see" each other too much. I used too many once and fixed it up by removing a lot and not letting them see each other through the hallways and doorframes.
Plus you can instruct a cubemap to ONLY do one surface if you want...
Pampers
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Pampers »

A 3dskybox needs a cubemap if it contains for example skyskrapers that has windows that reflects and suchs.
Look ma' no hands!
tundra_cool
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by tundra_cool »

Actually, environment maps default to the skybox texture. Scrap, open your map's .bsp file with WinZip or WinRar and see if you can find them manually.
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

i get the weapons reflection but the wall dosent have the shiny effect, could it be because of the texture(metalwall13d) i use?

is there a way to test cubemaps like placing a prop inside the room and seeing if it reflects?
tundra_cool
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by tundra_cool »

give weapon_cubemap
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

tundra_cool wrote:give weapon_cubemap
Doesn't 'impulse 82' work as well? (I think it's 82) :)
tundra_cool
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by tundra_cool »

Yeah. It's an impulse, too.
[JSC][GU]PREDATOR
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by [JSC][GU]PREDATOR »

tundra_cool wrote:Yeah. It's an impulse, too.
An impulse command?
Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Hickadam »

There is an impulse command, but 82 and 83 spawn a jeep and airboat respectively.

The cubemap tool is actually pretty cool.
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Hickadam wrote:There is an impulse command, but 82 and 83 spawn a jeep and airboat respectively.

The cubemap tool is actually pretty cool.
I never learn those impulses. But last time I tried I'm quite sure that impulse 82 gave me cubemap tool. :?
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

Scrap wrote:i get the weapons reflection but the wall dosent have the shiny effect, could it be because of the texture(metalwall13d) i use?
hehe qouteing myself, how low can i go eh?
It was the bloody texture, it wasnt supposed to reflect.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Bump for the sake of not creating another similar thread.

I was wondering...I know that you place cubemaps at 64 units and in the center of a room. But if you have reflective surfaces in that room, should you also put cubemaps near light sources?

If you don't, then the reflections on the floor for example seem to appear as if there is a light through the wall you are facing (if you are very close to it).

EDIT: I just remembered seeing Valve put cubemaps in front of reflective surfaces. Maybe this is the correct solution.

Any experienced discussion is welcome. It would be very helpful.