Map of the Half Life 2 Universe

Talk about Valve games and mods.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Map of the Half Life 2 Universe

Post by shiftey »

I've been looking around/googling and haven't been able to find any maps of all the places from Half Life 2. So far all I can find is the coast.

Anybody know of a map, or can piece one together in paint or something? I'm curious as to where all the major places are in comparison to each other over HL2, Ep1, Ep2, and the Lost Coast.

EDIT: Seems like one doesn't exist of everything plotted out. Let's try collectively piecing one together. I'll start:

This is the map of the coast:
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Heres a complete overview of black mesa:
http://w0rf0x.de/screens/Black_Mesa_Res ... HL_Map.jpg
(only linked because its very huge)

and i have one for the old hl2 story too, cant find it atm.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Ok these are the only two real maps I could find in the gcfs:

-=Canal Map=-

-=Coast Map=-

Any insight as to how they fit together? And where is the citadel and also train station in comparison to these two maps?
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

There are a few maps in the "Raising the bar" books for the HL2 universe. I have it and the maps shown also have the original path for the intended ship Borealis

To be honest the best way of doing this is to noclip overhead shot all the maps like the one f0x posted. It will make a pretty big picture of what you want. I'm think of doing this now that you have got me interested. I'll try tomorrow.

Also are there any commands to show relative map co-ordinates of the player on the screen?
:nyoron:
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Ny wrote: Also are there any commands to show relative map co-ordinates of the player on the screen?
Typing status on your own listenserver should do that.
Mr. Someguy
npc_hunter
npc_hunter

Post by Mr. Someguy »

I think we need someone to make a program that puts all the maps together in one giant 3d space for viewing.

Similar to the Black Mesa map W0rf0x posted, but in 3d space.
sgae
FUCK ALL

Post by sgae »

Mr. Someguy wrote:I think we need someone to make a program that puts all the maps together in one giant 3d space for viewing.

That program it's called VHE

decompile all maps, remove all ents (except func_detail and displacements) and then copy/paste entire map in 1 vmf.

the problem is max hammer size will be unable to handle all maps in one.
Mr. Someguy
npc_hunter
npc_hunter

Post by Mr. Someguy »

sgae wrote:
Mr. Someguy wrote:I think we need someone to make a program that puts all the maps together in one giant 3d space for viewing.

decompile all maps, remove all ents (except func_detail and displacements) and then copy/paste entire map in 1 vmf.

Then how did they get that Black Mesa map?
SkyNinja
Polygon
Polygon

Post by SkyNinja »

How did they get the Portal: Flash Version Map Pack map as well?
Fenrir
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Fenrir »

Mr. Someguy wrote:
sgae wrote:

Then how did they get that Black Mesa map?
It was probably stitched together
I will spit right in your fraking face.
How does it taste? After the lips are sealed below your waist,
You will never frak again.
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

Picture editing the same way i plan to do it. Scaled screen shots of the entire map at a certain height and then "stitch" together using photoshop or any other program.

I'm working on this next weekend
sgae
FUCK ALL

Post by sgae »

i tryed before to put whole lambda core chapter of HL:S in 1 map for obsidian but i failed...

the fps were fine but at the putting of 2 or 3 copy/paste i've started having ent problems and gfx issues...

i think if i put the maps without ents and then put ents from scratch i will be able to make that working for oc...
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Ny wrote:I'm working on this next weekend
Awesome! That'd be really handy when I start mapping again.
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

Sorry but I'm going to have to put this one on hold for a while. I have been bigged down with java and c assignemnts so anything game related is on hold.

Hopefully I should have this done by the end of next month, unless someone else wants to take it up?

Edit: I had a little go at this and it is a terrible job, the way that the maps are made are purely for loading efficency so the tops of houses and etc have gaping holes in them and scenary is also included over black voids.

Takes a lot of photoshop work or the long process or decompiling the vmfs and removing the roofs to show the actual player paths

Here is what i mean:

http://wecantshoot.co.uk/downloads/pictures/test1.png

That shot was taken at exactly 4000 units above the z origin (It has to be that close because when it is stiched together it will be a higher quality).

Maybe when I come back to it I will figure something out any suggestions will also help a lot
Makrontt le nécron
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by Makrontt le nécron »

For this black mesa map, I don't think the guy noclipped and take a screenshot, I guess he only used dev_overview: the game create an overview picture and you just have to take a screenshot (it was used to create the overviews in cs spectator mode).
I tested in HL2, there is something called overview_mode, not sure how to use it, it didn't do anything for me (even with cheats and developer mode activated).
I'm back baby!