Idea for a more interesting OverWatch Elite.

Obsidian General.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Idea for a more interesting OverWatch Elite.

Post by Gary »

That's right, another one of my many ideas.

Okay, the reason for the idea I am about to explain:

Now, if you look at the regular combine soldier, then look at the "elite" combine soldier. Not much differences, slightly faster shooting, new skin, more health and a ability to shoot AR2 alt fire. Basically, a slightly modified regular soldier. I assume this is because of time constraints during Half-life2 development. So, it's up to us to make them an interesting enemy, not just simple edit of the regular soldier.

My main idea, that effects gameplay is a arm mounted gravity gun for the Elites. Basically, they use it for the same thing Gordon does: Throw back grenades and toss physics objects at their enemy.

Imagine, tossing a grenade into a room in attempt to take out some soldiers, just to get your grenade thrown right back at you. Or when throwing a barrel at one, they catch it and throw it back. They could also pick up objects that are close to them and throw them at their enemy.

They wouldn't go out of there way, just to throw a bottle at you, but if they are standing next to an explosive barrel, there're throw it at you. I would also thinking it would be a random chance they will miss the object thrown at them. So the physics gun isn't useless now, they also won't be able to catch stuff from the side or behind, only from the front and there is always a chance they might not grab it in time.

Also, if we do choose to do this, it won't require our coders to write every bit of this, as we have Dog, which has the ability to do all of this(besides grenades, but we should be able to fix that). Not saying it would be easy, but I thought it was a good idea. I am just asking here to see if you guys like the idea.
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

I can only imagine the difficult AI required to make this come true... Because when it comes right down to it. Dog is OP with his gravity gun. Which is why he uses it only once. (At the junk yard)
HFANTOM
Pixel

about the idea

Post by HFANTOM »

well i don't think is a bad idea but it does not fit the combine elites. i think is better to give this ability to a new unit like robotics or something else. and if the combine elites are going to use the gravity gun they should be holding it with they hands and just think how hard is it going to be. coding this. and yea dog

edit:and another idea what if the npc can change weapons like use another weapon in they inventory
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

I am sorry but I think this is a bad idea simply by the fact that if the combine had a weapon the size of the gravity gun that was strong as a combine orb and could pick up and throw things they would be using it, hell they were shocked by Gordon having the gravity gun and how strong it got when the weapon stripper infused it with dark energy.
I for one would like to see the old elite restored (look at the thumbnail. the Sven Co-op team recreated it for the ditched HL2 version of the mod)

But I doubt that will happen so I would like to see some major AI enhancements like trowing back grenades, finding cover better, better squad control, instead of covering his head when he sees a grenade he RUNS AWAY, ability to fire the RPG, able to alt fire with all weapons, support to use manhacks, and lastly able to use the Tau cannon :)
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Datastream wrote:I can only imagine the difficult AI required to make this come true... Because when it comes right down to it. Dog is OP with his gravity gun. Which is why he uses it only once. (At the junk yard)
Dog's fetching behavior works fine, I have even used it in GMOD before.

HFANTOM wrote: well i don't think is a bad idea but it does not fit the combine elites. i think is better to give this ability to a new unit like robotics or something else. and if the combine elites are going to use the gravity gun they should be holding it with they hands and just think how hard is it going to be. coding this. and yea dog

edit:and another idea what if the npc can change weapons like use another weapon in they inventory
It would be even harder to give NPCs inventory then giving them this ability. It makes things easier when you can look at something that has a similar feature, such as Dog.

gtaiiilc wrote:I am sorry but I think this is a bad idea simply by the fact that if the combine had a weapon the size of the gravity gun that was strong as a combine orb and could pick up and throw things they would be using it, hell they were shocked by Gordon having the gravity gun and how strong it got when the weapon stripper infused it with dark energy.
I for one would like to see the old elite restored (look at the thumbnail. the Sven Co-op team recreated it for the ditched HL2 version of the mod)

But I doubt that will happen so I would like to see some major AI enhancements like trowing back grenades, finding cover better, better squad control, instead of covering his head when he sees a grenade he RUNS AWAY, ability to fire the RPG, able to alt fire with all weapons, support to use manhacks, and lastly able to use the Tau cannon
You can fill logic loop holes by having combine use different tech for their gravity guns. They use different methods for teleportation.

And it would be nice to enhance their AIs for that stuff as well. But I was trying to think of an entire new feature for them.
warbrand2
Polygon
Polygon

Post by warbrand2 »

how about in not being a human or synth solder the combine have cameras every where they could just copy dogs design. give it armor, mount A pulse turret to the top of one arm, and add a low end grave gun to the other and there you have it a combine unit with a grav gun. seeing as the combine take and modify the tech of every thing they find it would not be surprising for them to do something like this.
I think that's all I do and some times/a lot of the time that gets me into trouble.
RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

Gary, you forget that these are Elites.
They're supposed to be more kick-ass than the regular Overwatch.
Frankly, I think the idea sounds good...but it sounds like a different enemy. The uniqueness of the Elites is that they are most likely modified to the point where over half their body is mechanical, and they are authorized to carry energy orbs.
Here's my idea: Give them a more powerful Pulse Rifle, and have them explode on death (if they aren't killed by the Supercharged Gravity Gun, that is).
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

I think i saw this before in syn, but can elites fire the alt fire grenade for the smg? I find it pretty devastating in tight corridors. I'd be cool to implant in OC
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

I have only played synergy for a few minutes, just to see the multi-seat cars.

By the way, why do we have the stupid name replacement thing?
Synergy = Synergy = Syn

I know they had the same kinda thing on their forums, but why did we have to be just as immature and do the same? When a baby cries, you don't cry in response.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

A cry for a cry makes the whole world deaf.
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

RocketRunner wrote:Gary, you forget that these are Elites.
Frankly, I think the idea sounds good...but it sounds like a different enemy. The uniqueness of the Elites is that they are most likely modified to the point where over half their body is mechanical, and they are authorized to carry energy orbs.
5 Points for you! Yes these are the best solider human morphs the combine have. I was thinking if you have ever noticed the elites only have one big eye(if you haven't noticed how dumb are you?) one would think that means something! Here is an addendum to my other ideas, that eye must be quite an advancement over the human eyes so one would think they could be able to fire from farther away, be more accurate, and have quicker reaction time. I also think they would have a side arm as well maybe a pistol, or they could use the sniper rifle as well.

Edit: another idea like that one level in HL2 were the sheild scanner was showing the strider were you were maybe that could work with the elites, they could use scanners like we use hunting dogs. (they sure would get the jump on players then)
RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

gtaiiilc wrote:
RocketRunner wrote:Gary, you forget that these are Elites.
5 Points for you! Yes these are the best solider human morphs the combine have. I was thinking if you have ever noticed the elites only have one big eye(if you haven't noticed how dumb are you?) one would think that means something! Here is an addendum to my other ideas, that eye must be quite an advancement over the human eyes so one would think they could be able to fire from farther away, be more accurate, and have quicker reaction time. I also think they would have a side arm as well maybe a pistol, or they could use the sniper rifle as well.

Edit: another idea like that one level in HL2 were the sheild scanner was showing the strider were you were maybe that could work with the elites, they could use scanners like we use hunting dogs. (they sure would get the jump on players then)
Well, I was gonna mention the point about their modifications, but you can just read the Combine Overwiki.
Also, the scanner idea is probably not good, considering the Metrocops use them for surveillance already.
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

true the metrocops do use them but not very effectively that and it's not hard to dispatch a metrocop they are almost always poorly armed.Besides if metrocops use them then it only makes scence that a ELITE would :P
Mr. Someguy
npc_hunter
npc_hunter

Post by Mr. Someguy »

I think Elite's should have extremely good accuracy and durability. They shouldn't leave a red decal when shot or blood, because that shows weakness. And maybe have them sprint around instead of normal running, with this add the ability to 'sweep' away grenades (a swift forward scoop with the hand) to send them back at you.