No
21%

Total votes: 52

Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Re: Lua Implementation

Post by Keychain »

The fact you didn't know something like this is so unbelievable that I'm not even going to take your word on it. W0rf0x says he's pretty sure you knew about it the whole time too.

I don't get how you couldn't have known about an NPC in the game being broken ever since the release of 1.35. You've played the mod several times since then, most likely experiencing a map that involved the Assassins countless times. You're not going to sit here and tell me you haven't seen this happening. You have to get told directly that an NPC is broken in order to know about it, yet I'm 99% sure you've witnessed this NPC being broken already as it is.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

nope, when I play I'm 90% of the time away, not to mention that most maps that involve a assassin are known to me which means AFK time till the map is over...
So no I didn't see that happen, and as I said, I knew of the original bug with the walls not that it does it random on the floor too, else the code wouldn't be in there no?
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

So you avoided Assassins in OC for precisely one whole year since 1.35 was released.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Keychain wrote:So you avoided Assassins in OC for precisely one whole year since 1.35 was released.
Or so he thought. Little did he know they were watching him the whole time, hiding in the shadows. Probably hovering in their fall animation but nevertheless still watching...
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

You've earned yourself a member title for that.
JerC
Donator
Donator

Post by JerC »

It should be monster not npc
Please don't take my posts before 2013 too seriously. It will be better for both you and I :c
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

who cares
HinaKagiyama
Donator
Donator

Post by HinaKagiyama »

not meaning to necro but..the thread kinda derailed to Neico's mistake on the Assassin's AI, which I admit is pretty big.
but yeah, I'm for LUA implementation, maybe for better HUD customization, and the other mentioned things.
TESLA-X4
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by TESLA-X4 »

Lua would be nice, but only if it's implemented server-side; client-side, it quickly becomes a potent exploit tool. No matter how hard you try, it's still going to be exploitable in some unexpected way, and that's why I'm voting for server-side-only Lua. Just my two cents.

Edit:
Also wanted to note the common misconception that implementing scripting languages results in crashes. While it's true to an extent (a shoddy integration of the language will naturally lead to instability), IMO it's usually the way it's used that is actually responsible for the stability issues. You just can't blame the language (or its implementation) if you're doing something that pushes the game/engine's limit (heavily simplified example: an infinite loop script that spawns entities until the engine dies. What's at fault here: the language and/or implementation, or the code?).
Apparently, Valve can't make games beyond the number 2.
I think the only time we'll get a Source SDK code update is when it starts having purchasable hats integrated, i.e. hatconomy.

Please do not make assumptions you are not knowledgeable enough to make - that just backfires on yourself.
Tick me off, and I'll be sure to give you the golden treatment. Haven't you heard? Silence is golden.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

TESLA-X4 wrote:Lua would be nice, but only if it's implemented server-side; client-side, it quickly becomes a potent exploit tool. No matter how hard you try, it's still going to be exploitable in some unexpected way, and that's why I'm voting for server-side-only Lua. Just my two cents.

Edit:
Also wanted to note the common misconception that implementing scripting languages results in crashes. While it's true to an extent (a shoddy integration of the language will naturally lead to instability), IMO it's usually the way it's used that is actually responsible for the stability issues. You just can't blame the language (or its implementation) if you're doing something that pushes the game/engine's limit (heavily simplified example: an infinite loop script that spawns entities until the engine dies. What's at fault here: the language and/or implementation, or the code?).
I don't know much about lua except that it's a coding doohickey, but I'd rather the OC team make some big changes first, and then ship it out to server owners. Because we all know that a bunch of server owners would just have to flood OC with stupid mods (I'm looking at you MGO, with your damn credits thingamajig). Hopefully with lua, we can change some AI around and aim of weapons fired, so it's a bit more realistic, and to have those fun long-range battles with a few teams of soldiers.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
RocketRunner
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by RocketRunner »

I recall reading an article in a magazine about some piece of technology being put in Mercedes-Benz cars that would track trajectories of stuff or something or other, which boiled down to improved driver safety. An employee at the company was quoted as saying something like this:

"What matters is the efficiency of the programming."

In other words, LUA could do a lot, but you'd need to make sure that you can implement it as flawlessly as possible. I'd definitely like to see that happen, but from the looks of that old debate there, there's quite a bit of doubt as to whether we'll see it in the near future.
I usually run from rockets.
Pretty straightforward.