On the subject of an "Objective Box"

Obsidian General.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

On the subject of an "Objective Box"

Post by Vasili »

Wouldn't it be nice to have a little objective box on your screen whilst playing OC? Something to tell you what to do incase you weren't paying attention to the rest of the team and just wanted to rush ahead and hear Breen as a Boss shout "No!" repeatedly?

Now, myself personally thinks that it should be down there in the bottom of the screen along with the Health, Armour and Ammo stuff, as it would fit best down there. As my Diagram explains:

(Please don't mock me for my MSpaint Skills, it was done in 2 minutes)

I know some people would argue it to be in a top corner or something, but this is the point of the thread, to Discuss it.

Now, the mapper will have to set entities down to add things to this log. The log could also perhaps Tick/Line off objectives that are completed. This would take up about 5 minutes of the mappers time to do, but at the end of the day, it helps this mod be more unique and better than other mods. It could also perhaps have a map of the level incase the player gets lost even more, though the map could show areas where the player has been and places they could go.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I have a feeling this would be done similar to the merchant scripts. logic_objective_relay which determines a objective_script or something.

Personally, I think fitting it in with the OC UI would make the hud look like a Wii game.

I'm more for the idea of the text version as seen in Minerva:

I like the style/placement but of course the content would be different.

##Objectives##
1. Find Breen
2. Be told you NEED him.
3. Show Breen you don't need him.
4. Watch Breen cry.
5. Kill Breen.
The one free-man
Vertex
Vertex

Post by The one free-man »

I think this idea's great! :D
It would be far better than backtracking through layers of dead things to realise you just needed to push the secret button underneath the corpse of that dead giant octopus.
Although this might mean some mappers might make the objectives:
1.) YU SPAWN
2.) R SHOT AT COMBINES
3.) U WIN
4.) DEVOUR A PLATE OF <insert inedible obscenity)
yet again, there could be an option to toggle the objectives, to give a challenge in maps like oc_manor.
I like the position you suggested too, certainly fills a gap in a usefull way! :wink:
I takes 42 muscles to frown
but only 3 to pull the trigger of a decent sniper rifle
and im a lazy man!

MOXron
Polygon
Polygon

Post by MOXron »

This is a good idea, and i fully agree with it. but it would need to be more flexible for the people that play OC, in lower resolutions as the Lower the Res the bigger the HUD, and there would be no screen left if someone were playing in 800X600 with the objectives box in place of a gap,that is probably meant to provide more flexibility for lower resolutions. So Positioning is a factor. BTW Minerva:Metastasis was a GOOD Mod!! and the text system as shiftey said would also be awesome for certain Maps.
I prefer Dogs over cookies, But i couldn't eat a whole one.
Azure Edge
Donator
Donator

Post by Azure Edge »

A small scrolling bar on the bottom of the screen in between the hp and ammo indicators?
Image <- Push!
Curious?

JerC
Donator
Donator

Post by JerC »

Make it match the custom color too.

Hell,it could be awesome,im sure W0rf0x will have a look on this..
Please don't take my posts before 2013 too seriously. It will be better for both you and I :c
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

MOXron wrote:This is a good idea, and i fully agree with it. but it would need to be more flexible for the people that play OC, in lower resolutions as the Lower the Res the bigger the HUD, and there would be no screen left if someone were playing in 800X600 with the objectives box in place of a gap,that is probably meant to provide more flexibility for lower resolutions. So Positioning is a factor. BTW Minerva:Metastasis was a GOOD Mod!! and the text system as shiftey said would also be awesome for certain Maps.
Anyone that still has a resolution of 800X600 seriously needs a better monitor.

If your monitor isn't bigger than 17" these days then you're pretty out of date. Unless you're on a laptop.
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

Vasili wrote:
MOXron wrote:This is a good idea, and i fully agree with it. but it would need to be more flexible for the people that play OC, in lower resolutions as the Lower the Res the bigger the HUD, and there would be no screen left if someone were playing in 800X600 with the objectives box in place of a gap,that is probably meant to provide more flexibility for lower resolutions. So Positioning is a factor. BTW Minerva:Metastasis was a GOOD Mod!! and the text system as shiftey said would also be awesome for certain Maps.
Anyone that still has a resolution of 800X600 seriously needs a better monitor.

If your monitor isn't bigger than 17" these days then you're pretty out of date. Unless you're on a laptop.
Even laptops dont use 800x600 as a standard resolution anymore, my current broken laptop uses a 1366x768 res; 15" screen standard (Netbooks are a different thing and not considered Laptops).

Now back on topic; I prefer Shiftey's idea as the best option available to this part of OC's HUD. It looks simple and the most user friendly to do. My gripe with the current system was that the text never scaled with the resolution of your screen, so long sentences could never be read as they will go past your screen limits.
:nyoron:
MOXron
Polygon
Polygon

Post by MOXron »

Yeah, exactly. and i know this sounds sad. but i know a lot of people, (including myself) have played OC on lower-end PC's and for that to work, it will occasionally require a down scaling of the resolution to get a playable frame rate. Even with my 24" Monitor while i had my old rig, which shoulda been at 1280X1024, i couldn't, so the size of the monitor is not a factor, as such, its the performance issue, and don't say they should get a new PC, because sometimes that isn't an option. BTW i have a new PC now :wink:
I prefer Dogs over cookies, But i couldn't eat a whole one.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Hmm, maybe the Hud should scale properly with the size of the screen.
veteran_gamer
Polygon
Polygon

Post by veteran_gamer »

I believe this is a great idea, the placement could go about 1 or 2 centimeters under the score display, in readable but a bit smaller text, with a transparent backround

perhaps the current objective could have a subtle "pulsing" glow, and could be triggered/tied into an already existing toggled hud indicator...

pretty cool
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

I currently play on something like 1152x8xx. So as Moxron said. Scaling is important because my hud is pretty big right now and another big box in it would make it a mess.

Though the idea is great we'll need a solution for the lower end resolutions.