Obsidian Conflict Map Database.

Obsidian General.
cartman-2000
Polygon
Polygon

Obsidian Conflict Map Database.

Post by cartman-2000 »

If any of you have played Sven Co-op may know they have a map db for there mod, I was thinking about creating something similar to that for Obsidian Conflict.

Here's what I have so far:
http://ocmapdb.cartman-2000.net/

There's not a whole lot on there yet as I've only been screwing around with it over the past day or 2, there's still a bit to do to get it upto what the scmapdb has in features and content.

It'll be easier to find maps on my map db then the forums as the maps lists are alphabetically sorted, it's also possible to have a dynamically generated list of maps that belong to each mapper(from third party mediawiki extensions.)

The db also supports directly hosting of peoples maps, if they are compressed in 7z and are small enough(<7mb compressed.) to upload in the wiki.

Any mappers reading this post can register to it and add your maps to it, just follow the guide linked on the main page to get the basic format for map pages, haven't gotten a basic format for a mapper page yet, a mapper could help me with that, setting up there mapper page.

So what do you guys think of it?
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Sorry you went through all the trouble...

But we already have a wiki, so you can just work with us on it.
http://wiki.obsidianconflict.net/
cartman-2000
Polygon
Polygon

Post by cartman-2000 »

To do what I was trying to do on my wiki, on the OC wiki, it would need at least 4-5 extra extensions and several custom namespaces. The extensions I'm currently utilizing DynamicPageList, Semantic MediaWiki, ToggleDisplay, Variables and ArticleComments. I'm not sure they would want to do all of that.

Semantic MediaWiki is probably one of the most useful extensions I've come across when it comes to listing maps dynamically by tag or genre, without needing to use categories for everything.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

it works with categegories, so why using something else...
cartman-2000
Polygon
Polygon

Post by cartman-2000 »

Well yes, but it doesn't work very well if you want to get a list of maps a mapper has dynamically in a mapper page outside of the categories namespace, You could transclude the category page in to the mapper page but you wouldn't really be able to control the format of the list a whole lot, for greater control over the dynamic list of a category in a non-category page, you'd need the categorytree extension.

I picked SMW mainly for it's ability to create dynamic lists and also the ability to set properties in normal internal links which I don't need any redundant links for the mapper, or other links. Using categories, I need one link to the mapper page and another to for the category,... if you want a link to a page displayed in a part of the page other then the bottom you need two links, you can't have a category displayed like a normal link and have it set the category at the same time unlike with SMW properties. Also with SMW properties you create a list from a non category page pretty easily by typing for instance "{{#ask: [[Genre::Genre:Linear]]}}" in a page, which in my wiki would render a list of all maps of the Genre Linear.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

can be done with templates too, which the oc wiki uses in fact...
Dominic
Donator
Donator

Re: Obsidian Conflict Map Database.

Post by Dominic »

I like the idea, but the sven coop database looks like this http://scmapdb.com/, I mean good idea nonetheless, in fact right before i entered this thread i was thinking about this!

Edit: frak SHIT did i really just bump a thread from april...

my bad please don't hurt me..

Edit: I need to stop posting, lurk more post less
cartman-2000
Polygon
Polygon

Re: Obsidian Conflict Map Database.

Post by cartman-2000 »

Dominichax wrote:I like the idea, but the sven coop database looks like this http://scmapdb.com/, I mean good idea nonetheless, in fact right before i entered this thread i was thinking about this!

Edit: frak SHIT did i really just bump a thread from april...

my bad please don't hurt me..

Edit: I need to stop posting, lurk more post less
Yes, that's where I got the idea from to do a map DB, but it would take a bit of work in a community effort to get it to the point where scmapdb is at. As no one really took interest in it, it pretty much died.