Map competition, discussion.

Obsidian General.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Map competition, discussion.

Post by fug4life »

After chatting with W0rf0x last night, he mentioned something that I had also felt was lacking since the release of 1.35.
And because 1.36 is gonna be BIG, Prehaps now would be a good time to do this.

What is he waffling about? The lack of community made maps since 1.35, I think we were both hoping many more would come and make something. And yes lots of mappers show'd up and started lots of WIP maps but its been almost 6 months since the release of 1.35 and only a couple of maps made it into the release section (And I thank those authors with all my heart for atleast trying).

So how about a map competition? Yes, I know its difficult to pull off, but with plenty of advertising and good organisation. It can be done.

****So to the details****:

Well to start off we need prizes? right? The bigger the prizes the bigger the lure/pull to get quality mappers have ago at winning. Map competitions that offer the most get the most entries.
So, if any of you who are willing to donate the better the prizes will be, so please step forward.

My donation would be a prize of atleast £50 worth of something, or seeing as Portal 2 is co-op I'd buy as many as I can for around £50-60 (If Portal 2 is say like £30 each then I'd buy two copies).
It would be great if there were 1st, 2nd prizes or maybe a third, given how much we get donated.

If the devs agree and the winning map is upto standard I was hoping they'd consider adding the winning map to 1.36

Other stuff could be they get the same privilages as donators in game.

So the rules I'd work on and disscuss over the next week or two here in this thread, but probably the most important rule is that all submitted maps can be used by the devs at their discreation, and most likely must have the written consent of any 3rd party art assets used (non-valve/oc).

I think the trick is getting the competitions time frame correct 1 month is too short 6 months is way too long, I'd say 2-3 month competition time?

So what do you guys think?

I mean come-on I'm ready to donate, the more the merrier.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Re: Map competition, discussion.

Post by destiny »

so were having a competition now?
gues il say il be looking forward to the results.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Andrax17 »

I think its pretty neat idea, but i just hope that the words "competive" and "prizes" wont make players do the maps really quickly just to get it done fast for the competition.
edit: can you enter the competition with a map thats already WiP ? as in, you dont need to start again (not that anyone would notice whetever it was wip before or not)
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I'll write up and confirm the rules tonight, though I guess any maps that are un-released will probably be fair game.

Also I may be able to gift Half-Life2 and Half-Life2 Episode One (Will confirm tonight).
As well as that I'm considering adding even more to my original donation, I'll see how much the OrangeBox costs these days.

I'm off out for the day, will talk more.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

if there is one thing for certain in competitions its deadlines.
curious to wen this one is.
Image Image
MaestraFénix
Team Member
Team Member

Post by MaestraFénix »

1: There´s exist some maps in w.i.p. status (including my map). The problem is the time that is necesary to make it.

2: I don´t know how many people have enough time, but the most of the users only have a couple of hours, and probably they prefer play OC/TF2/another game, activity before making a map.

[/thread]
Click on my photo to add me into your friends in Steam
Steam photos | Steam videos

Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Maestro Fénix wrote: [/thread]
Quite some attitude we have there, huh?

No the thread isn't over because of your meager arguments.

Of course there's a lot of WIP maps but not just time is the problem, people also often lose interest and/or move on to other projects, just go to the WIP section and check how many of these aren't released yet and haven't shown any progress since forever.

And 2nd, That's why there should be some motivation to keep them working on the map and actually finish something for once, and also to draw some of the more dedicated mappers to make something for OC, those people who are known at sites like interlopers or other mapping-dedicated places for their quality work.

And about the actual thread, I'm all up for this, and really, every map that fits the criteria could be added officially to the mod when it goes steam, would probably attract even more people, but still keeping something special for the map we decide is best, or maybe best three maps.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Thanks for the support!

I can understand people not finishing their maps, I'm the biggest culprit.
But I'm aiming to achieve a couple of things by doing this. W0rf0x probably know hows these sort of things work, but I'll explain the aims to the rest of ya'll.

1). Inspire/motivate people to make maps for obsidian!!!
2). Try to attract some quality mappers and maps in the actual competetion.
3). Hopefully end of with a map or two that meet the dev team's criteria that they can use for release or w/e.

Now for the conerns about rushed maps to win prize or missed deadlines:

End of the day it all depends how bad you want the prizes. If you want it bad enough you'll meet the dealine and you'll want to make sure your map is a winning entry (i.e as polished as possible).

Now please note, the rules and how the prizes are given out need a bit of careful thought, so bare with me and help suggest the best possible way to get as many mappers as possible to meet the deadline with playable and hopefully reasonably well made maps.

Hopefully now you understand the aim of what I'm hoping to achieve, what I hope dosn't happen is we get one map submitted with an infoplayerstart 6 walls and a light. Thats why I'll suggest ideas here for you to discuss before starting the competition.

Watch this space...(well check back tomorrow and I'll give my ideas)

Edit: as for the hl2 and ep1 I need to retrieve my brothers steam password and make sure they are giftable and yes I give two copies of Portal2 to the prize fund or the winner can choose the cash of that Value, I work out the other prizes places depending on the prize fund I can build up and decide more on how is distrubted once I clear a few ideas up.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Worfox is right about loosing interest and moving on to different projects. Happens to me constantly, it's really bad with O.C. as I can't even play online...

I am not a bad mapper, if you see my relatively recent work, your see I am quite good at it. But after a while of working on it, I slowly lose interest and every unsolvable problem that causes me to start over or re do a large chunk is very devastating.
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Andrax17 »

main problems for me in mapping are usually ideas, sometimes i suddenly dont have any ideas of what to do...sometimes i get ideas for whole new map instead of the one im working on, sometimes i have an idea but dont know how to do it, sometimes i know what i want to do, but i dont know how i want to do it.

those mainly slow me down on mapping :P
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Here's a rough draft... Please discuss, as you can see some things still need to be added including a general intro to the mod and contact details.

Objective:

To be confirmed (Specifics type of map i.e co-op rather than teamplay?!? Can be with puzzles and skill?)
What you guys think? Thought on the sort of maps you want to attract.

Judging:

To be confirmed (I'm hoping the Dev team would do the honors and be the judges:) I can help with all the organising etc, but I thought it best you guys pick the winners.

Rules:

1. The map or maps must be original and must not have been released publicly before and cannot be released publicly prior to judging (private beta testing is allowed).

2. More than one entry is allowed by individual mappers or mapping teams, but iterations of the same map are not allowed.

3. If you are working in a team it is up to you to split any prize or prizes you may win, for some prizes (though not all) cash alternatives of the same value may be available.

4. By entering the competition you grant the Obsidian Conflict Development Team the right to include your map and any art assets into the mod this applies even if you do not win a prize.

5. There is no guarantee winning the competition will mean that your map will be included, it has to meet their criteria, and their decision is final in this matter.

6. No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2 LostCoast, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed, content mounting will need to be used.

7. No assets from previously released maps or mods are allowed without written permission from their originals authors, which MUST be included in your submission, No Exceptions!

8. The Judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.

Start Date:

To be confirmed.

Closing Date:

To be confirmed.

Prize Fund:

To be confirmed.

To Enter:

To be confirmed. (Map contest forum thread? privately via a PM?)

Tips:

If you are not familiar with the mod's gameplay and its features I suggest you get in game and play the Official maps, you can download the latest version of Obsidian Conflict here:

http://www.obsidianconflict.net/?page=downloads

More general map tips such as suggested players gameplay styles use of obsidians features

Link to the Obsidian Conflict Wiki where you can set-up the Source 2007 Software Development Kit (SDK) to use with Obsidian Conflict, as well as find additional information about Obsidian Conflict's gameplay and features.

http://wiki.obsidianconflict.net/?title ... n_Conflict

Link to Obsidian Conflict feature and entity specific map tutorials and prefabs:

http://www.obsidianconflict.net/forums/ ... f=6&t=3409
Last edited by fug4life on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Andrax17 wrote:main problems for me in mapping are usually ideas, sometimes i suddenly dont have any ideas of what to do...sometimes i get ideas for whole new map instead of the one im working on, sometimes i have an idea but dont know how to do it, sometimes i know what i want to do, but i dont know how i want to do it.

those mainly slow me down on mapping :P
We all have that problem! You've got to focus and disipline yourself or in my case atleast try...

Also I dont want to force people who've already started maps to abandon their map projects because they think they wont make w/e deadlines because their of whatever reasons, end of the day guys this competition is in good spirit and hopefully for the benefit of the mod and all of us as players of the mod, The prizes aren't life changing winnings, just a couple of games or w/e. You have to be a good judge of what you think you can realisticly do.

This isn't meant to tread on the toes who have already started maps, if your passionate about obsidian you will hopefully strive to release your maps even if your not the winner or dont make the deadline. I sincerely hope.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

i take it maps released for the competition are also playable for gamers beside the judges.
Image Image
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

No maps should not be released, only after the competition and after the Dev team have decided if they will use any of the maps.

Then after that maybe I or the dev team will add the best of the rest to a 'competition mappack'. Or give back to authors, if the author wants the map back to work further on or something, I'll think more about this.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Oh snap, this seems like a good idea. Even if I kinda suck at mapping I'd still give it a shot. Money/games is a good motivator for mappers to get off their butts and start mapping lol.

If time is a problem, I'd suggest starting when people have a break in their life (aka Christmas!) because I have a Thanksgiving and Christmas break coming up so
that frees up time for me, not sure for other people but I'm pretty sure people would have a break around winter time :D