Obsidian General.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Map competition, discussion.

Post by fug4life »

Thats the spirit!

I'd like to get this underway asap,

Btw, please add suggestions to anything I may have written or said.

Also, I'm begging any of you who have un wanted giftable games or anything to donate! I'll consider most gifts.

Also, I'd just like to state Im sort of ideas guy if the dev team would rather do something more official then Im fine with that, if not I'll go ahead.

Also, advertising ideas, would the dev team be prepared to make annoucements in their usual places, and I'd put it out there to as many other websites where I think it would attract attention.

watching film talk l8a...
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

I like the idea. Thing is, there needs to be a lot of motivation for mappers to...well map. Atleast for OC. Since most of us have all or most of Valve's games, it's not a big motivator. Perhaps consider a due date, and then see if any new games are coming out around that time, like Bioshock Infinite whenever it comes out. Or shed some more light on the misconception that their map has a high chance of appearing as an official in 1.36. Now, I personally get motivated after I play a few decent maps, but then its drowned down by either going out or hat hunting in TF2. I'd suggest doing some advertizing in CS:S servers (that's how I found OC), get a few more people that are fresh into OC to hopefully make a map or two.

Also, an excellent OC map that has unique features and is polished might take some time. And considering people will want to make lenghy maps, so there's more content, will take even more time. I'd say this is more of a contest over the Summer, when the littles aren't in school.

I really like this idea, but you need to really carefully plan out this thing. Like, I doubt anyone will do anything over Christmas, because they'll be on vacation. And then there's spring break which is like...3 or 5 months away. If it was up to me, I'd advertize first, give people some time to think of a few ideas, and make the deadline 4-5 months, considering all of the holidays and studies that are coming up. Also make maps submittable at any time, unless I missed where you said that.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Episode 3 will come out.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Hi, Thanks for your input.

I agree motivation is a hard factor to overcome, Most good competitions offer amazing prizes like new dx11 top of the range gfx card or something, realistically that ain't going to happen here. I agree offering them something like OrangeBox isn't such a good idea, thats why I suggested Portal2 (I'm hoping Valve will allow similar bulk buying like they did with l4D). It all depends on how Portal costs come pre-order time, I don't mind stretching to £75 to get my hands on 3 copies, one for each place, then I'd try and bump up first place prize with a couple of 'extras'.

Anyone remember how much l4D and l4D2 cost during pre-order?

As for time scale, I don't think the competition should be much more than 4 months other wise mappers may loose motivation over such a period of time. Pluse I don't want to get in the way of the mods development process, i.e I dont want them hanging around waiting for comp results to release new version of the mod.

Prehaps if we gave an idea of how big the map should be, i.e 30 minutes -1 hour play time or something.
Personally I'd be happy if a mapper came along with something in terms of size as oc_courier or oc_breakout (Maybe prehaps smaller that might be a bit much for a 4 month build time), I mean the map can be smaller if its good enough, it depends how exerienced a mapper you are I guess.
A description as to what we hope the mapper to achieve will be given out, and some advice on build time.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Portal2 is released 10th Feb, that's less than 3 months. I wouldn't mind having the competition co-incide with release day, so people can get their hands on Portal 2 upon release. Though I liked the idea of a 4 month competition time (lol dilema).

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
destiny
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by destiny »

so the idea for the deadline is going to be around 4 months thats alot of time.
anime watcher and manga reader and doesnt care what others think of it.
Image Image
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

fug4life wrote:Portal2 is released 10th Feb, that's less than 3 months. I wouldn't mind having the competition co-incide with release day, so people can get their hands on Portal 2 upon release. Though I liked the idea of a 4 month competition time (lol dilema).
Then pick a game that's not Portal 2. Hell, why even pick a game at all? Just give away a gift certificate...card..thing..whatever the hell Steam calls them, with like $100 on it.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

fair point.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

It's a great idea but I think a lot of people have great ideas but just quit on them half way or so. Like me. XD Except I quit when Hammer doesn't work the way I want it too. Like with a tool glitching out...

I might continue on some though.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Idea is not lost, Ive just been a little busy, even the map took a bit of a back seat this week.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

Oh and Portal 2 got delayed till half way april. So yea...
Spiffy
Pixel

Post by Spiffy »

Don't forget that simply adding someone's map to the 1.36 release would be a pretty epic prize...
NinjaWilko
Pixel

Post by NinjaWilko »

I've worked on a few maps, but never actually gone too far with them. But a mapping competition certainly would get everybody having a go. Include some prizes and there you go.

Example Prizes:
1st Place: Map Included in OC Steam Release, $30 Steam Prize, Hosted on the Keyfox server
2nd Place: Map Included in OC Steam Release, $15 Steam Prize, Hosted on the Keyfox server
3rd Place: Map Included in OC Steam Release, $5 Steam Prize, Hosted on the Keyfox server
Runners-Up: Map Included in OC Official Map-pack, Hosted on the Keyfox server

Thats just a general idea, and we'd have to have people to donate the prizes, W0rf0x's permission for the map inclusion, map hosting, etc.
DisConnected
npc_hovering_assassin
npc_hovering_assassin

Post by DisConnected »

Not to sound like a greedy little bastard, but I doubt anything decent is worth $5 on Steam. Looking at other mod's contests, I'd say $15 is the lowest to go. Although I do like the fact that all winners get included in the official release, makes it seem like there's more maps from one download. Hosting it on a server is meh. I'd bet that MGO Dissent server would have it, and it's just as popular as Keyfox. There should be something else included to winners though. Something small that really doesn't change anything, but people still want, like a custom skin just for you (whenever Fox gets restriction code in). Or a hat.

*Turns to Archimedes*

No it won't.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

If the only entry and subsequently the winning entry was below the devs required standard, then it probably wont get inclusion, that needs to be understood.

$5 isn't much of a prize, but hopefully that won't be an issue.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
NinjaWilko
Pixel

Post by NinjaWilko »

NinjaWilko wrote:Example Prizes: