[Solved] Be very careful with the plans to use Steamworks...

Obsidian General.
Siam
Vertex
Vertex

[Solved] Be very careful with the plans to use Steamworks...

Post by Siam »

EDIT: Yes, I posted this before reading the full announcement. I only saw the steam group message and came here to express heart-felt consideration, but actively forgot to be smart about it. Don't bother posting about it, I already know that my topic has been considered long, long before the announcement already. :P

I love this mod more than anything else (not really, but it's an amazing mod :P), and I'd hate to see something bad happen to it. That's why I'm explicitly asking the devs to be careful with Steamworks. When Sinergy integrated into Steamworks, they had to remove all custom content included with the mod that wasn't made by ONLY the team that made Sinergy. No community maps, weapons, or other assets could be included in the base download. I understand that OC needs more players, and that Steamworks would definitely grant that - but, for the love of god, don't take a quality hit just to do it. Sinergy dropped horrendously in quality for me once it hit Steamworks, since it had so much integrated content that had to be removed. With Steamworks, OC won't be able to include the model packs. It can't use the awesome sniper rifle or any other custom weapons unless the OC team made them especially for the mod. If OC has to be stripped bare-bone like Sinergy, DO NOT GO TO STEAMWORKS, PLEASE. What makes this mod wonderful would be raped by the system, and I couldn't stand that.
Granted, if you're only losing one weapon or a map or two from the base lineup, then it doesn't matter (but I would so miss that sniper if it were removed). Sinergy thought it was a good idea to go through the trouble to be on Steamworks, but OC being independent is what caused me to stick with you guys - you are better than Sinergy because of it. This is a volatile concept for a mod that is mostly coding, unlike Age of Chivalry or Insurgency which had dedicated teams that made entirely new content. If Sinergy and OC become equal players on the mod scene (and by all means, even the functionality of OC is better, but let's be reasonable - the mass market doesn't care for particulars, they just care that both mods are coop mods), little would be of benefit for being on Steamworks with a competitor already established.
Take care devs, I'm only concerned for the mod in general. I'll stick with OC over Sinergy any day, but I believe that OC is better than the way Sinergy was stripped.

PS: Considering I'm not advertising Sinergy, nor am I doing anything but saying that it's worse, I'm sure it can be overlooked that I'm bypassing the forum filters for the game's name. Let's be honest, it may suck comparatively, but calling it "that other mod" hurts the syntax of my argument. Replacing it with "Greenland" or "stinky pile of poo" is hardly mature, and I prefer to have my opinion stated concisely whilst hoping to keep OC great.
Last edited by Siam on Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Re: Be very careful with the plans to use Steamworks...

Post by Neico »

and why would we care? (besides I doubt that you know what is really required to use steamworks)
the model-packs never were included into the cactual download and never will (maybe as optional content like let's say as DLC or so but that's about it)
all current mappers whose maps are included in the download also gave permission to use them (which is why they are in the download in the first place)
things like the sniper are being re-made so why do you even care (yay for not using the search)
also the censoring is to prevent people ranting about it too much (I don't really get the point of it either but oh well it's not up to me to change it)
Siam
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Siam »

Neico wrote:and why would we care?
the model-packs never were included into the cactual download and never will (maybe as optional content like let's say as DLC or so but that's about it)
That's what I mean - it is unlikely they could ever be integrated, even if the team wanted to. That's quite a restriction.
Neico wrote:all current mappers whose maps are included in the download also gave permission to use them (which is why they are in the download in the first place)
Of course, and that is fully reasonable. Then again, Sinergy would surely have been using content permissible by the authors of it, but that didn't stop them from having to remove it from the base download. There's a fine line residing with content made outside of the mod team, so I'm just asking that they should clarify what is allowed and what isn't before jumping too far into the decision.
Neico wrote:things like the sniper are being re-made so why do you even care (yay for not using the search)
Fair enough, but I was just using a simple example. I saw the steam group's announcement and instantly came here to try and be helpful. :) But hey, the fact that it's being remade is testament to my point, no?
Neico wrote:also the censoring is to prevent people ranting about it too much (I don't really get the point of it either but oh well it's not up to me to change it)
Thanks for mentioning that - it certainly didn't stop me from ranting, eh? :D
NinjaWilko
Pixel

Post by NinjaWilko »

Siam wrote:That's what I mean - it is unlikely they could ever be integrated, even if the team wanted to. That's quite a restriction.
Not everybody wants to download 500Mb of models just to play the game. Besides, community add-ons for the game are still allowed, see GMod for this. The OC team just can't package copyrighted content with the mod without getting permission first.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Wow, did you like, read the Title of the news and then went here ASAP to tell us about how "Steamworks ruins mods"? Because if you would have read the news then you would know that we have a talented team which is fully capable of re-creating everything we need on our own, there's even pictures of things we have already done.

Edit: Not being able to include the model packs isn't a restriction as we never planned to do that in the first place, they are optional models for those who want them, not everyone wants to see homer and co. running around killing combine.
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

yes our goal is to be exactly like synergy BECAUSE WE DO NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF LEARNING EXPERIENCES

and the fact the blog post said we're remaking all of our content specially so we don't have to get rid of any content doesn't seem to get through you
Siam
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Siam »

Yeah, I'll admit I read the steam announcement and immediately came here to rant. Sinergy's failure struck me hard and for a long time I've been toting around how OC is so much better than them since their conversion to Steamworks. As soon as I saw the title, I feared for the worst - not that I doubted your team ;)
Also, I have the forums bookmarked and not the main site, since it's nearly never updated. Can't blame me on preferring to lurk where the active discussion is! :P
So yah, I should have read the main article and you're most certainly right. If anything, I'm right too - just stating the obvious about what you're already ontop of. Can you blame me for being concerned about something I love? Maybe my convulsive action is something to be proud of, since the mod means that much to me? <3

EDIT: And as Keychain posted while I was typing - who's to say that you know the story of Sinergy's demise? After all, I wouldn't expect you to be playing it when you have your own masterpiece, eh? ;)
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

http://obsidianconflict.net/rss.php

this usually get's updated pretty fast (with the new website it'll be automated so you better get an RSS Feed catcher and bookmark this, the url might change someday but oh well)

Edit: updated rss
Siam
Vertex
Vertex

Re: [Solved] Be very careful with the plans to use Steamwork

Post by Siam »

I've never actually used RSS before. Seen it everywhere, but not quite too sure on how or what it does. That's part of my ignorance, since I use practically every other fancy thingy I come across! :P
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/361/

also maybe updating from FF 3.1 beta 3 to 3.6.12 would be a good idea
Siam
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Siam »

Actually, I'm using Chrome. Much faster and more sleek than Firefox, while that is also a great browser. Since Chrome has adblock and that's all I need, I'd prefer to stick with this. I'm sure Chrome has an RSS addon though, so I'll go look that up. Thanks!

Also, feel free to lock this thread if it's better off to be so. The discussion is pretty much invalid by now, unless you want to wait for a flamer or two to have their turn with me. :P

EDIT: Just remembered, I think I have a modified user-agent to appear as if I'm using Firefox. Needed it for something, but never set it back. If for some reason you know I'm using Firefox because of that, you're wrong. Otherwise, thanks for letting me remind myself to change it back! :D
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Friendly, its nice to see people getting all flustered over a mod they love!

Alas, you can relax its in good hands...
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

fug4life wrote:Alas, you can relax its in good hands...
that's a rare sight to see these days, I think I just need to mention Hell-Met and you should know what I mean... (or FP in general)