Source Engine License

Obsidian General.
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Re: Source Engine License

Post by Datastream »

Yea I remember somewhere in the beta them getting added but I turned it off. I think it was somewhere in the cfg folder involving something like valve.rc or something crazy. I'll try it when I get back home.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

W0rf0x wrote:Background maps are fully possible in 1.35 if i remember correctly.
Alright installed my old pyramid background map, this time with its own particle manifest, thanks for the broken escape example!

So I can confirm background maps work as fully as they can...

What you have to remember is that even in HL2, EP1, EP2 if you disconnect from a map you only ever get the background image never the map, why because normally you quit the game completely when playing those games (after playing a map), So you have to physically disconnect through console to simulate how Obsidian works!
So with that in mind it serves its purpose it'll mount correctly for ati users but you'll only ever see the map once and then the image then after for the duration of using the mod until a restart.

Also;

*No hud
*No crosshair
*No viewmodel
*No nothing just how its supposed to be

I used an oc_background_pyramid_cfg.txt like this:

Code: Select all

"oc_background_pyramid" 
{ 
impulse 200
cl_drawhud "0"
crosshair "0"
r_drawviewmodel "0"
}
(thanks Tysn, I forgot about the crosshair and didn't know about r_drawviewmodel, didnt test without impulse 200 I suspect its not needed edit: yeah impulse 200 isnt needed)

And yes my map can still act as mount solution, I jumped straight onto an ep2 map fine.

So for example:

ATI users would need this:

Scripts ChapterBackgrounds.txt

"chapters"
{
	1	"oc_background_pyramid"
}
And if there are Nvidia users who want my map background to load randomly with the mods two original backgrounds you can have this:

Scripts ChapterBackgrounds.txt

"chapters"
{
	1	"oc_background01"
	2	"oc_background02"
	3	"oc_background_pyramid"
}
Seeng as my old link is down, I'm going to repack this with all the given new info and reupload.

The only thing with mine is I loaded a song in the map, but if you wanted the mods original start up music, I left the ambient generic in the modify file so people can pick the startup music or anysound they want.

Happy days.

Oh yeah the only down side is, with my new super computer, obsidian has been loading faster than ever like in a blink of an eye, but with a background (even one as simple as mine) it still takes considerably longer to load the mod, but no longer than having to load lobby, so its still a good solution

Edit: Really de-railed this topic, Sorry.

EditEdit: Tried in add-ons and it didn't really work, I think scripts dont work in the add-ons folder, I know for a fact weapon scripts must be in the mod original customweapons folder (I thought it would be nice to package as an add-on, but not to worry).
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

I knew that would work! :D Thanks for trying, fug!
xenoaisam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by xenoaisam »

sorry for bump old thread...
i was thinking, why valve didn't do like Unreal Engine does.... use fullest of their engine with full source code for educational use, then when about to commercial it, they need to pay for the license....

http://udk.com/licensing.html

and how much exactly the price of source engine?
ImageImageImageImage
~My Beauty and The Beast~
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

no idea, probably 1000$+
ViralHatred
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by ViralHatred »

I would, but only if it would result in a better community environment.

If you get a licence and everyone pays and we have a fuckton of idiots then no thanks.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I'm still against the idea, get a player base in the 1000's and then I say yeah you could start to take this idea seriously, though even then I'd still have my doubts as to whether anything liek this is possible, given its 75% Valve's own content, like I previously posted.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
xenoaisam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by xenoaisam »

yeah i agree~
getting own license if you have almost 90% original content and support from community
ImageImageImageImage
~My Beauty and The Beast~