New player - few questions

Obsidian General.
Boooster
Pixel

New player - few questions

Post by Boooster »

Hi everyone,

I've been playing Half Life since the original and recently got myself a decent rig - naturally I wanted to visit a few of my favorite older games. In the process I found this mod and crapped my pants - my brother and I love playing co-op games but have a hard time finding something tht appeals to us both but Obsidian Conflict has had us both bouncing around with excitement - today we get to play finally :)

Anyway, I have a few questions that I was hoping could be answered:

1) My brother has a steam account with HL2, and I went out yesterday and opened a new account and bought the orange box. If he logs into my account on his comp and installs Ep1 and Ep2 can we then play that together via OC? If we need to purchase another copy we will, but if he can install it and mount it (since it will be installed on the computer) we'll do that. We plan to play LAN.

2) HL2 campaign - I read the wiki and a bunch of posts here; is there any way to edit global variables for our game? Meaning, if I want to have each of us have 1 life per map instead of constant respawning, or changing the difficulty so it will be like the Hard setting of SP - is this possible? If so where can I edit this?

3) Can we play other mods with this as well? Like Minerva, Nightmare House 2, etc.?

4) What is the difference between this and Synergy? If this is a major answer maybe just a few key differences.

Thanks to the devs for making such an awsome mod - I canot wait to get out of work and start playing!
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Re: New player - few questions

Post by Andrax17 »

1. not sure, but i think your account needs to own the game to access the .gcf's

2. i think the command to set lives is mp_livesmode (or something like that, never used it but ive heard about it few times)

3. technically yes, but it would be kinda buggy as those games are meant to be played alone and they are done with that in mind, they arent designed to be played in co-op, so some things might buggy and broken and you would need to make mapadds for all of the maps. (correct me if im wrong)

4. no idea since ive never played greenland
Boooster
Pixel

Post by Boooster »

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply!

I didn't write Greenland, but a differnet HL2 MP mod - must of had the text change. Doesn't really matter as I will be playing this; was just curious.

About 2) Is there a list of commands somewhere of things we can change? Hopefully difficulty as well.

Also, a few more questions:

1) I played Sven Co-op years ago and every map change you would spawn up with full ammo. Does OC "remember" your ammunition whenever you change maps or start at full?

2) When you die and respawn how much ammo do you start with? Can you change the default?
Andrax17
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Andrax17 »

Boooster wrote:Thanks for your quick and helpful reply!

I didn't write Greenland, but a differnet HL2 MP mod - must of had the text change. Doesn't really matter as I will be playing this; was just curious.

About 2) Is there a list of commands somewhere of things we can change? Hopefully difficulty as well.

Also, a few more questions:

1) I played Sven Co-op years ago and every map change you would spawn up with full ammo. Does OC "remember" your ammunition whenever you change maps or start at full?

2) When you die and respawn how much ammo do you start with? Can you change the default?
both of those depends on map and what the mapper has set for it, maps will remember your ammunation if the map has multiple parts with good level transition
im not sure if the default ammo can be changed, if you make server, there probably is commands to set default ammo.
but OC itself doesent save your ammo, it all depends on the maps.

when you make server, like with srcds, there should be a file that you can use to change the difficulty on your server, i dont know if you can use that on listen server or if it has a console command to change it.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Hi,

1).Yeah you can play HL2 ep2 together, though you both need EP1 & EP2 I suspect, unless you extract all the models, materials & sound from the GCF (Game Cache Files). But even then there's bound to be stuff missing that was misplaced, and all in all it'll just make a mess of your Obsidian folder.

So in short get yourself another copy of the Orange Box.

2). This is the best part of Obsidian Conflict, you can as the server operator use lots of CVARs use the mp_ sv_ & sk_ commands, typing find andthenaword in console will generate a list of commands connected to the word you search.

Also, these Cvars can be scripted into maps, to get an idea of this go to your obsidian\maps\cfg folder and inspect these files:

mapname_modify.txt (allows you to make physical changes to entities within a map) (Also spawn weapons and custom weapons on map start) plus a whole lot more.

mapname_cfg.txt (allows cvars to executed on map load)

mapname_mounts.txt (allows mounting of episodic content into a map)

mapname_soundscripts.txt (allows custom sounds to be load in a map)

So basically this mod allows you to do what ever you want.

Also the scripted weapons are worth looking at go to your obsidian\scripts\customweapons folder to see what that is all about.

3). Yes you can play other mods, but you'll need to learn how to modify maps in the fashion I've mentioned above to get them multiplayerable, and its not always executed perfectly, there are normally hinderances in the level design that make some things unsuitable for co-op. But if hl2 can be converted etc, then its do-able but time will have to be invested in editing.

4). Ammo depends on the map and the mapper really, modify scripts determine the 'spawnitems' though some maps are with merchant gameplay in mind, i.e you use points/cash and buy weapons from a merchant.

So really take a good look at the obsidian\maps\cfg folder, take the time to see how many of the custom maps are set up. read/open as many modify txts and cfg txts as you can and you'll get a good idea of the power of scripting within this mod.

And finally the difference between synergy and obsidian:

Obsidian has everything for me, as I play online alot and once I've played the campaigns a few times, I need more to satisfy my needs, this is where OC steps in, the custom maps are awesome, so many styles of gameplay you'll feel dizzy at first!
Really my advise to you and you bro is, forget HL2 and get stuck in to the custom maps (32 come with the mod) and there are alot more out there in the community!

Only thing I like about synergy is they have multi passenger vechiles, its the only thing I envy them for, the rest they can keep!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Boooster
Pixel

Post by Boooster »

Thanks for the detailed reply!

We are going to get into the custom campaigns - he sent me a video of the antlion defense map (name escapes me) with like a million exclamation marks, so we aren't looking to play only the HL2 campaign. That being said, we will most likely be playing it to start with since the gameplay is fantastic.

Since it isn't a custom map will ammunition stay from map to map? Just to clarify (following apply for HL2 Campiagn only):

1) Can I set difficulty?
2) Can I set amount of lives we have (idealy 1 respawn allowed per map, or none)
3) Can I set a save point? What happens when we both die - Restart level?
4) Is there a manual listing all the different commands I can edit for playing the campaign?
5) Not sure I understoof the CVars thing (will check when I get home), does that apply to HL2 Campaign?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know how to get everything set up the way I want:)
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Whatever you can do in a custom map via commands and scripts you can do in the hl2 campaign.

Bare in mind there are already scripts for the hl2 campaigns, but you can edit them to suit fo instance:

at the bottom of the d1_trainstation_01_modify.txt is this:

Code: Select all

SpawnItems
{
    "weapon_healer" "1"
}
}

By adding a few weapon commands

SpawnItems
{
    "weapon_healer" "1"
    "weapon_pistol" "1"
    "item_ammo_pistol" "3"
    "custom_spas12"
    "item_box_buckshot" "3"
}
}
So there I've added a default hl2 pistol + 3 clips
And a custom scripted weapon (spas12 shotgun) + 3 clips

The I create a d1_trainstation_01_cfg.txt (If there isn't already one) and add:

"d1_trainstation_01" 
{ 
mp_livesoverride "1" 
mp_numlives "1" 
}
So that'll turn that specific map into a lives map with 1 life, you'll be redirected back to oc_lobby if you both die (main map where you play everything from)

I think you can set skill settings in the console via Cvars, I think there are 3 levels

If not oc_kake_cfg looks like this, you could do something similar with the skill settings:

// ===========
//  NPCs
// ============
"sk_agrunt_dmg_punch" "25"
"sk_agrunt_health" "200"

"sk_antlion_air_attack_dmg" "45"
"sk_antlion_health" "150"
"sk_antlion_jump_damage" "15"
"sk_antlion_swipe_damage" "7"

"sk_antlionguard_dmg_charge" "20"
"sk_antlionguard_dmg_shove" "10"
"sk_antlionguard_health" "250"

"sk_antlion_worker_burst_damage" "50"//: How much damage is inflicted by an antlion worker's death explosion.
"sk_antlion_worker_burst_radius" "160"//: Effect radius of an antlion worker's death explosion.
"sk_antlion_worker_health" "120"//: Hitpoints of an antlion worker. If 0, will use base antlion hitpoints.
"sk_antlion_worker_spit_grenade_dmg" "20"//:Total damage done by an individual antlion worker loogie.
"sk_antlion_worker_spit_grenade_poison_ratio" "0"//Percentage of an antlion worker's spit damage done as poison (which regenerates)
"sk_antlion_worker_spit_grenade_radius" "40"//: Radius of effect for an antlion worker spit grenade.
"sk_antlion_worker_spit_speed" "600"//: Speed at which an antlion spit grenade travels.

"sk_barney_health" "110"

"sk_bullseye_health" "150"

"sk_bullsquid_dmg_bite" "30"
"sk_bullsquid_dmg_whip" "40"
"sk_bullsquid_health" "150"

"sk_citizen_health" "100"

"sk_combine_guard_health" "100"
"sk_combine_guard_kick" "15"
"sk_combine_s_health" "100"
"sk_combine_s_kick" "10"

"sk_hassassin_dmg" "5"
"sk_hassassin_health" "100"

"sk_headcrab_fast_health" "70"
"sk_headcrab_health" "70"
"sk_headcrab_melee_dmg" "5"
"sk_headcrab_poison_health" "50"

"sk_hgrunt_health" "90"
"sk_hgrunt_kick" "10"

"sk_houndeye_dmg_blast" "40"
"sk_houndeye_health" "120"

"sk_manhack_health" "80"
"sk_manhack_melee_dmg" "40"

"sk_metropolice_health" "100"

"sk_vortigaunt_armor_charge" "30"
"sk_vortigaunt_dmg_claw" "30"
"sk_vortigaunt_dmg_rake" "50"
"sk_vortigaunt_dmg_zap" "100"
"sk_vortigaunt_health" "60"

"sk_zombie_dmg_both_slash" "40"
"sk_zombie_dmg_one_slash" "20"
"sk_zombie_health" "150"

"sk_fastzombie_dmg_claw" "30" 
"sk_fastzombie_dmg_leap" "20"
"sk_fastzombie_health" "100"

"sk_zombie_poison_dmg_spit" "40"
"sk_zombie_poison_health" "175"

"sk_defender_health" "200" //temp value

"sk_scanner_health"	"30"
"sk_scanner_dmg_dive" "25"

"sk_stalker_aggressive" "1"
"sk_stalker_health"	"70"
"sk_stalker_melee_dmg"	"5"

// Mortar Synth
"sk_mortarsynth_health"	"220"
"sk_dmg_energy_grenade"	"80"
"sk_energy_grenade_radius" "300"
"sk_mortarsynth_beamdmg" "60"

"sk_hunter_buckshot_damage_scale"	   "0.5" //0.5
"sk_hunter_bullet_damage_scale"      "0.6" //0.6
"sk_hunter_charge_damage_scale"      "1"   //2
"sk_hunter_citizen_damage_scale"     "1" //0.3
"sk_hunter_dmg_charge"               "40"  //20
"sk_hunter_dmg_flechette"            "8"   //4
"sk_hunter_dmg_from_striderbuster"   "150" //150
"sk_hunter_dmg_one_slash"            "40"  //20
"sk_hunter_flechette_explode_dmg"    "24"  //12
"sk_hunter_flechette_explode_radius" "128" //128
"sk_hunter_health"                   "300" //210
"sk_hunter_vehicle_damage_scale"     "2"   //2

"sk_gargantua_dmg_fire" "3"
"sk_gargantua_dmg_slash" "30"
"sk_gargantua_dmg_stomp" "30"
"sk_gargantua_health" "800"

"sk_bigmomma_dmg_blast" "100"
"sk_bigmomma_dmg_slash" "50"
"sk_bigmomma_health" "400"
"sk_bigmomma_health_factor" "3"
"sk_bigmomma_radius_blast" "250"

// =================
//  NPC WEAPONS
// =================

"sk_npc_dmg_357" "120"
"sk_npc_dmg_ar2" "3"
"sk_npc_dmg_buckshot" "3"
"sk_npc_dmg_fraggrenade" "75"
"sk_npc_dmg_grenade" "50"
"sk_npc_dmg_pistol" "10"
"sk_npc_dmg_smg1" "3"
"sk_npc_dmg_smg1_grenade" "50"
"sk_npc_dmg_stunstick" "40"

// ========
// Weapons
// ========

"sk_plr_dmg_357" "30"
"sk_plr_dmg_ar2" "7"
"sk_plr_dmg_buckshot" "5"
"sk_plr_dmg_crowbar" "5"
"sk_plr_dmg_fraggrenade" "75"
"sk_plr_dmg_grenade" "75"
"sk_plr_dmg_pistol" "4"
"sk_plr_dmg_rpg_round" "75"
"sk_plr_dmg_smg1" "5"
"sk_plr_dmg_smg1_grenade" "50"
"sk_plr_dmg_stunstick" "20"

}	
Ive gtg bbl...
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Boooster
Pixel

Post by Boooster »

Thanks for information fug4life - I'll check out some of these scripts when I am in front of my computer at home.

Cheers!
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Be warned though that the hl2 campaigns might not run perfect every map, thanks to Valve updating them to the newer engine.

All of this (and proper lives mode in them) will be fixed in the next version, which will be released on Steam.
And that's one of the big differences between us and syn, development on their mod is dead so the hl2 campaigns (which is their only stong point) will probably never get fixed.
That and customization is pretty much non-existent in syn.