Why do people say Hamachi is only for pirates

Off topic Discussion
Kill3r
Polygon
Polygon

Why do people say Hamachi is only for pirates

Post by Kill3r »

Because seriously, people here seem to say "Hamachi is for pirates that don't have the game" when this is completely false, me and my two buddies can't see eachothers servers so we have to use hamachi. So please, tell me why people say this... :roll:
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Because people are stupid and will follow other people for that same slice of cake on the internet.

There are 2 types of people, those who lead, and those who follow.

The leaders make a generalisation so they get a bigger e-peen, and then the followers will think: "OH WE'LL BE SO COOL IF WE DO WHAT THEY DO!!!" and then they follow en-suit.
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

Sure it's not your firewall blocking it? Because GMOD doesn't see my brother's server on LAN with the firewall active.
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

I use hamachi when I want to play lan with others cuz i cant open ports since my dad won't let me. I'm with you right there on this one, Kill3r.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Hamachi allows you to host LAN games over internet. Most games disable CD key and authentication checks when playing over LAN and therefore its widely used to play pirated games.

If you want to host an internet game with a legal copy, you best learn to do it the proper way by opening and forwarding your ports.
Kill3r
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Kill3r »

I just don't get why people can't seem to see that problems DO exist in port forwarding, and that the only thing to do is to retreat to Hamachi, it is also so much easier to get and use than open and forwarding ports..
Dr.Stinglock
Donator
Donator

Post by Dr.Stinglock »

Kill3r wrote:I just don't get why people can't seem to see that problems DO exist in port forwarding, and that the only thing to do is to retreat to Hamachi, it is also so much easier to get and use than open and forwarding ports..
Is that's why the majority of half life and half life 2 mod servers DONT run over hamatchi? They seem to have none of those problems that DO exist in port forwarding (I think it's just your modem/router).

In the end though, it's probably better off that some servers don't show up publicly and are restricted to Hamatchi only private networks.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I can understand why some people have port forwarding issues and just give up and maybe use hamachi (sounds like a pokemon to me).

Personally I've really struggled on both occasions I had to Port Forward the two routers that I've had.

But on the second time it was like 3 years since I'd previously done it, and I had forgotten everything.

Something I must say that is not very clear on most webpages regarding port forwarding is that some routers do not support simply adding ranges and you have to add each individually. See below:

UDP 1200 (Friends Network)
UDP 27000 to 27015 (Gameport)
UDP 27020
TCP 27030 to 27039
TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

Note: as some of the ports above are in ranges (27000-27015 for example), you should enter them individually (27000, 27001, etc) on the port forward table. There have been several issues with port ranges on some routers.

That piece of information was my saviour!

Taken from here, probably one of the best dedicated server guides I've found so far:

http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/View. ... d=4&game=3
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
The Drunk Demoman
Pixel

Post by The Drunk Demoman »

I used Hamachi before to play easily wwith my friends,but I don't use it that much now.