Acouple big mod releases.

Off topic Discussion
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Acouple big mod releases.

Post by skidz »

IronGrip and Eternal Silence were released.
Ive played them both and found IronGrip to be much better.
Unfortunatly it suffers from horrible lag and bugs, but its only a first release.
I found playing it with 5 players max was best. It would have been nice if the Oppression units didnt get rushed from the start. I hadnt seen the Oppression win a single round durring my test.
But as for Eternal Silence, it looked pretty nice and all, but damn was it ever borring. And the vehicles werent very impressive.
So IronGrip won this round as far as I can tell.
Kinhoshi
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by Kinhoshi »

Haven't played IronGrip, but I thought Eternal Silence was awesome.
destu
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by destu »

Haven't played IronGrip, looked like shit on the videos I've seen. But I guess I'm going to try it someday.

And, ES is awesome for first release. Though it needs balancing.
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

Iron Grip looks like shit because its another rts/fps mod and needs to keep it low polygin so it would be less laggy.

Downloading iron grip now(stupid timezone, was released while i was sleeping) but Eternal silence seriously sucked. I know its a beta and all but the gameplay wasnt all that great.

Also i recommend HL2 mod Empires and HL1 mod Natural-selection. Both rts/fps
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

I hated Enpires personally, I thought it was going to be great but the feel turned me right off. I would rather play battlefield 2 anyday for that type of gameplay.
Natural Selection on the other hand was amazing when it was first released. I played that for months. The later versions of NS tho I found got somewhat less fun. Maybe I'm wrong. Its been a long time since I played it last.

Iron Grip is really laggy, best results with a 5 man server. Works just fine and its more balanced. I hope they get it fixed up, because I really started to enjoy it. The graphics arnt great but one day people will stop judging a game and mod by its appearance and start judging it by its gameplay. You can tell which gamers are newbs when they care more about the graphics.
But that ES mod was just crap, I'm surprised they even released that :lol:

Just to show that I care little about graphics, today I played this for 4 hours straight.
Cant get enough of the classics. :lol:
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

well i love older games to with less graphics. Mainly because i can consider myself semi-old in the gaming world. Games like UFO: enemy unkown and UFO: Terror from the deep, Dungeon Keeper, Turok, Red Alert are the best imo. But thanks to me owning a HDR capable rig i would like to see some eye candy for a HL2 mod. Also Empires made there maps amazingly pretty and is less laggy, i hope later patches do the same for Iron Grips.
Mustang
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Mustang »

Scrap wrote:Games like UFO: enemy unkown and UFO: Terror from the deep,
I love you.
www.projectxenocide.com
Hyperjag3 wrote:God damnit, I can't take anymore of that fag's shit, banned.
skidz wrote:Your account and IP are banned for life, goodbye.
Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Hickadam »

I haven't tried Iron Grip yet, but I sorta got a kick out of Eternal Silence.

Eternal Silence like skidz said got pretty boring.

I am SUPER impressed by the technology they use in it though. When the ships leave the hanger, the go though some kind of vis portal or something, so the pilot doesn't "see" everything going on aboard the ships or space stations, but players can still see the ships flying around! I found it quite impressive, although from a mapping perspective a little confusing. Long have I waited for a game which combines a space exploration/flight/combat sim with first person shooter. A game called Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter for the Xbox was incredibly awsome. Nothing is cooler than flying your ship towards a space station, taking out the defences, landing in the cargo bay, clearning the gaurds with your on-board minigun, then walking away from the controls and out your ship's airlock to continue the mission on foot. ES is the only game that has come even CLOSE to that genre in a long time, and for that it has my attention.

Although they seriously need some other objectives, such as fixing shield generators, power conduits, power core meltdowns, and all that fantastic sci-fi spaceship stuff that we all wish we could do more of in video games.

At any rate, I was already hard at work on my next project before ES was released. I'm not saying too much about it yet, as it needs a whole lot of work, but once I've got the basic mechanics done and some lighting, i'll make a trailer. For the interim, think "Giant space gun" vs "giant alien ship."

Sounds kinda cheezy right now, but trust me, it should be a hoot.

Hopefully it'll scratch the itch that eternal silence doesn't, or at least not right now.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Scrap wrote:well i love older games to with less graphics. Mainly because i can consider myself semi-old in the gaming world. Games like UFO: enemy unkown and UFO: Terror from the deep, Dungeon Keeper, Turok, Red Alert are the best imo. But thanks to me owning a HDR capable rig i would like to see some eye candy for a HL2 mod. Also Empires made there maps amazingly pretty and is less laggy, i hope later patches do the same for Iron Grips.
I had actually never played the UFO series, but had the others.
My favorites have always been the Lucas SCUMM games such as Maniac Mansion for the C64. Graphic Adventures.
As for HL2, I havnt considered it a graphics powerhouse for about a year now. And since the mod experience in HL1 was better than HL2, I get somewhat nostalgic and wish to see things like they were back then from time to time. Realism in gameplay for one, I dont tend to enjoy with mods. Love the more Science Fiction type gameplay.
Kinhoshi
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by Kinhoshi »

skidz wrote: Love the more Science Fiction type gameplay.
YES. Sci-Fi >>> Realism Well, that's my opinion anyways.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Hickadam, have you ever played Battlefront 2?
Space battles work like this mod but better with way less lag.
The fox
Respected Member
Respected Member

Post by The fox »

Dont even get me started on how bad IronGrip is. Its full of bugs, lags, stupid bots if thats what you can call it, TKers and tons of other things. Eternal Silence on the other hand im loving to death. Mainly because of the new classes such as the flamethrower and the fact that its mainly based around space battling with aircrafts. Really gives an unique experience.
destu
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by destu »

The fox wrote:Dont even get me started on how bad IronGrip is. Its full of bugs, lags, stupid bots if thats what you can call it, TKers and tons of other things. Eternal Silence on the other hand im loving to death. Mainly because of the new classes such as the flamethrower and the fact that its mainly based around space battling with aircrafts. Really gives an unique experience.
Hey I saw you playing on the weekend!
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

destu wrote:
The fox wrote:Dont even get me started on how bad IronGrip is. Its full of bugs, lags, stupid bots if thats what you can call it, TKers and tons of other things. Eternal Silence on the other hand im loving to death. Mainly because of the new classes such as the flamethrower and the fact that its mainly based around space battling with aircrafts. Really gives an unique experience.
Hey I saw you playing on the weekend!
i saw him too.
And on a server where i was he was the first to start teamkilling so its kinda ironic that he mentioned the tk-ing part here.
destu
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by destu »

Interesting,I didnt notice any teamkilling.. expect I accidentally killed one team mate when I didnt know that FF is on.