oc_sklastdefensea1

Show off work in progress maps.
skyewing
Vertex
Vertex

oc_sklastdefensea1

Post by skyewing »

This is a Idea I had this morning and this is what i accomplished so far.
1. Button spawns a wave of antlions(Having problems getting other npcs to have the same linear motion as the antlion npc maker(specifically fight toward target) which is what i want to do for a tower defense type of effect.
2. 7 spawns of antlions, 7 spawns of antlion workers, different rendering effects, because again still cant figure out how to change model or use the other npc entitys to fight towards the endzone.
3. A chances counter...Another glitch that i had to kinda compensate for. I cant figure out how to trigger events upon a individual death of a npc makers child. When it happens it kills the wave, though hardly noticable later on. In fact, it kinda helps when there are more of them.
4. A endzone, where the npcs will rush at. Kill them before they get there.

TODOs-
Add a game over affect better than just wtf howd we lose. Maybe kill all players and ask to restart the game or changemaps.

Make weapons, and turrets buyable. I want to acheive a tower defense like map but not only do you buy turrets but you help kill the creeps also.

Add a You Win affect. All this stuff I have to learn how to do, so hopefully the nice people here will help me figure it out. Like how the maker of oc harvest made the turrets buyable.

KNOWN PROBLEMS-
Crappy using the same models every level, hard to distinguish waves.

People can spam the button to spawn creeps, may be useful for some but surely others will screw their team over doing it.

As all in all this is a work in progress, all constructive criticism is welcome.
More importantly I need a server to beta test the map on, so any admins or people with ftp access willing to copy the map to their server please pm me.

Screenshots arent much to look at. But here.

And a actual link to the map i have so far.
http://www.savefile.com/files/1957363
oc_skyepconcepttda1 or something like that is the name.
sorry about the free hosting sites, but i dont have a website or anything. if anyone knows of a good free file hosting site please let me know.

If people think the idea is good, I will keep working on it, otherwise I might not be motivated to want to complete it.
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Keep on going, I wanna see how this turns out.

As for your questions, I don't have time at the moment to answer :S
someone will probably come and do so though....
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Hi, good to see your mapping for OC.

Ok some entities you should get familiar with:

Where possible use an npc_template_maker not an npc_maker.
I'd say use antlion_makers for the antlions (a % for both types worker/normal can be specified on one maker entity). If you want seperate waves add another maker with a different name with 100% of one type.

When using a npc_template_maker first add the model from the list of enities i.e a npc_bullsquid will go well in your map its object properties name it and under the flags tab check the box
'Template entity only will not spawn into world'.

Then add your npc_template_maker and in its properties under 'npc or template to spawn' (can't remeber which it says) give the name of your npc_bullsquid entity.

If that makes sense.

Also info_nodes should get the npc to go where you want roughly, but better still learn how to use ai_scripted schedules in conjunction with hint_nodes.

I'll try find some examples later this evening for you, I think there is a good tutorial on snarkpit for npc_template_maker and ai_scripted_schedule.

Keep it up.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

sounds like your gauntlet map fug
:nyoron:
skyewing
Vertex
Vertex

Post by skyewing »

Yeah I saw the post today of the gauntlet, which looks fun also.
My map will hopefully have its own feel though once i get it to the level im thinking of. There are still some things im unsure if i can do.

And yeah i tried using the npc template maker, and ive been using the source docs to figure that stuff out. But the antlion npc maker was the only one i could find that used the "Fight toward target" flag . This way when a player tries to block or kill the antlion it just dodges around and tries to run towars the target. Im still unsure how I want this to really work. It would be nice for mobs to randomly want to kill somebody.

Also see the more curious thing is, I kinda want to recreate a wc3 green td or mafa td map style. And i wonder if its possible to make a model do damage to a area like a tower defense. I imagine its possible with something like hammer , just have to mess around with it.
But the first few levels people can take different spawns and take care of the creeps but later on people will have to buy weapons, as well as the turrets, and hopefully towers.

Thanks for the input guys much appreciated.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I think a bullseye_target (info_bullseye???) or npc_bullseye is what you need if you want npcs to attack breakable objects i.e models or tied brushes.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
skyewing
Vertex
Vertex

Post by skyewing »

Lol thanks fug, but i didnt ask any questions <3

There is one question that is bugging me.

Whats the best way of creating a weapons vendor.
Like the one in oc_harvest, where you can go to the pawn shop to buy weapons.
Do i need to use a vgui entitity to pop up a screen?

Here is a updated a screen, starting to add multiple spawns
, made the layout a little more like green td.

Also would it be ok to post in the oc_harvest thread to ask? Or do I have permission to decompile the map?(The weapons vendor)

Thanks!
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

You need to add a npc_merchant then add weapons and items to the script you create.

See obsidian/scripts/merchants for examples.

As for the merchant pick what mdl you want to represent the merchant.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

merchant scripts are really easy, so you should'nt have any problem
skyewing
Vertex
Vertex

Post by skyewing »

Thanks very much, I will try adding it to my map today.
skyewing
Vertex
Vertex

Post by skyewing »

Well your right adding the npc merchant was super easy, and so are the scripts.

But i feel like my layout may be a little to linear.

Maybe a big circle like green td would look better.
But it is starting to look more tower defensish.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Looking good, keep it up.
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

You might need to path multiple routes for the antlions so that they dont all go the same route making it easy for players and turrets
skyewing
Vertex
Vertex

Post by skyewing »

Yeah, i was wondering how I could do that. Maybe make diff hint groups and have every other one or something like that use a diff hint node path. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I havent really done much except for using npc template maker, and the ai scripted schedule. Now they run straight for the goal and people who are trying to block them or glitch them is usually ignored. But some of the npcs act differently with the schedule. And some npcs go extremely slow... like the classic zombies.

Thought of using the combine dropship as the main delivery of the creeps. WIll look nicer than magically appearing from underground or something else.

Thanks to peoples input I want to try and make the hunters, the turrets, and some other npcs buyable. For defense. The tower thing just does not really fit in anywhere.

Anyway some ss's not much new.

Picture of the npcs that spawn. 15 npcs and 15 ai scripted schedule. some of them dont work and of course im just experimenting now with what the waves should be.

Main chokepoint.

Thanks!
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

Try to show in-game screenshots so that you don't reveal the secrets of your map to potential players! ;)