oc_rebel_hq

Show off work in progress maps.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

oc_rebel_hq

Post by shiftey »

Here's some information I posted about this map in the Beta Forums:
So I dreamed up a little idea a while back and have been thinking about it some more recently. Now, I know I haven't been as active over the past few months and I won't be for a while, maybe not until around April. But when I am back I really want to try something out.

Most of you probably forgot about the thread where JigglyWiggly asked OC to be merged with Follow Freeman. Well I pointed out a feature of that mod that I thought was pretty cool:
In game economy system:
Players earn money from kills and co-operation and can then spend it in Vorti-Guns.

Vorti-Guns:
Between missions players can use the in game shop (in the ready-room) to buy and sell a selection of 35 unique weapons including the counterstrike weapons, and stock up on ammo and equipment for the next mission. The shop can be opened and closed in-game in the admin control area so Half Life 2 purists can still play with the original weapons only.
Well I have thought about it and here is what I plan on doing:

- Making a map that features the train station entrance from the HL2 campaign (post HL2), filled with Rebels, Merchants, and a shooting gallery.
- There will be portals to/from all of my maps. (As I make them)
- Points/weapons/items acquired in any of my maps will be saved (most likely on a per server basis)
- In this map, players can buy/sell weapons and items, and cash in points for other cool things for use in my maps.
- If you load up any of my maps from a lobby map, your saved item/weapons will still load, but you can only access merchants and such from the oc_rebel_hq.

I stress "my maps," not because I am a self-indulged cocky asshole, but because in the name of gameplay balance, the maps that use this system must be designed for it. Which brings me to another point. If it turns out successful, this map system I'm planning, I would like to have other mappers join in on it.

But before anything begins (which it won't until at least April), I would like to get some feedback on this idea.

EDIT: Oh, and I put this in the Beta Testing Forums because I want to keep it on the down-low.
Well I started making the map and have finished the initial merges of d1_trainstation_01, d1_trainstation_02, and d3_c17_03. I am now working on the real substance of the map and its features, but I'd like some input from OC players. Hopefully by getting input I can make a really enjoyable map.

So give me any ideas that you think would make this type of map more enoyable for you. I have a lot of surprises in store so if you mention something I already thought of I'll simply ask you to be more specific.

I'll have some pictures up soon.

UPDATE: I just finished up the "Vigilante" system. Basically, if a player kills another player or a citizen, or breaks into the armory, the whole populace hunts you down. Once you die, you are no longer a fugitive. You lose all your weapons and items when you die. The player has the same amount of health as any other citizen, and the armory guards wear body armor, making it wise to follow the rules.
Last edited by shiftey on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Ok then, how about a strider, that to defeat, you need to set up a rope/wire to trip it over.

No-body has ever done that.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I mean something that has to do with this map. There won't be any giant battles because its more of a lobby-type map. Only it branches off into relevant maps. Like taking the train to Nova Prospekt will take you to a map set in Nova Prospekt. Walking through the combine gate in front of the trainstation will take you to a map where the goal is to reach the citadel or something.

I'll admit, I'm planning on having a timer set to like 24 hours that starts a hidden map. after 24 hours, Dr. Kliener appears on the jumbotron thing giving his speech from ep1. Then a map opens up in the trainstation that is an escape from city 17 (oc_escape_c17) . All the while, the combine are attacking the trainstation from all directions blah blah blah.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

shiftey wrote:All the while, the combine are attacking the trainstation from all directions blah blah blah.
Yes!

Have the square outside the trainstaition be patrolled by striders, and you can trip the striders over that way.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I'm scrapping the whole train station idea. Source engine restrictions are preventing it from being exactly how I want it to be.

Any cool ideas for a rebel HQ?
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

Make it a big underground fall-out shelter in the desert (remains from the Cold War) where the rebels have installed teleporting devices to get to the different locations (of the missions)
Image Image Image

Excuse me for being rude. I'm usually drunk while posting.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Yeah. Was thinking that or a space colony with teleports. Anything with teleports makes the most sense, since you aren't limited in directions for sub-maps to go.

My problem is I'm thinking more epic than the source engine can handle. I want to make giant cities, when most HL2 maps are not more than a block or two. :/
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Sounds good shiftey!

I hope this see's the light of day :wink:
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

btw way some of the role play maps I've seen may be of help to you, maps with level transitions etc would be cool of teleport from outside into inside. Will think more when I get back.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database