Porting bsp > vmf? Is it legit?

Show off work in progress maps.
JigglyWiggly
Banned

Porting bsp > vmf? Is it legit?

Post by JigglyWiggly »

So like, here is rp_csdesert, it works completely with obsidian conflict except there are no spawn points. Next is that I converted the bsp to a vmf file, and tried to run it, except well there are errors. I have no idea who the author of the map is either... So is this legit if I even got it working? Here's the log anyway

Code: Select all

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\master chief_357\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\master chief_357\half-life 2\hl2" "Z:\vpexv2\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Dec 11 2006)
4 threads
materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\master chief_357\half-life 2\hl2\materials
Loading Z:\vpexv2\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d.vmf
Brush 25109: MAX_MAP_BRUSHSIDES
Side 5
Texture: METAL/CITADEL_METALWALL101B

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\master chief_357\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\master chief_357\half-life 2\hl2" "Z:\vpexv2\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Nov  8 2007)
4 threads
reading z:\vpexv2\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d.bsp
Error opening z:\vpexv2\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\master chief_357\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters:  -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\master chief_357\half-life 2\hl2" "Z:\vpexv2\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Nov  8 2007)
----- Radiosity Simulator ----
4 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
[45 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading z:\vpexv2\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "Z:\vpexv2\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d.bsp" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\master chief_357\half-life 2\hl2\maps\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
  "The system cannot find the file specified."
Eh now I did it again with fixing the errors with alt +p and this is what I get now

Code: Select all

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\master chief_357\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vbsp.exe"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Dec 11 2006)
4 threads
materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\master chief_357\half-life 2\hl2\materials
Loading Z:\vpexv2\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d.vmf
Brush 11815: MAX_MAP_BRUSHSIDES
Side 5
Texture: TOOLS/TOOLSNODRAW

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\master chief_357\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vvis.exe"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Nov  8 2007)
4 threads
reading z:\vpexv2\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\master chief_357\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters:  -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\master chief_357\half-life 2\hl2" "Z:\vpexv2\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Nov  8 2007)
----- Radiosity Simulator ----
4 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
[45 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading z:\vpexv2\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "Z:\vpexv2\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d.bsp" "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\master chief_357\half-life 2\hl2\maps\rp_cscdesert_v2-1_d.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
  "The system cannot find the file specified."

Last edited by JigglyWiggly on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Hi, to keep things legal and if your really hell bent on having this map, though searching for the author's permission would be ideal.

However there is a way.

You need to 'decompile' the .bsp using a program such as 'vmex'
Then open the 'decompiled .vmf' in hammer save it twice with out editing anything buy renaming the file twice.

Then in hammer remove the single player spawns and add info_player_deathmatch's instead. (I'd advise you to replace these entites rather than just changing its properties to a new entity or you might encounter troubles). Finally save the .vmf (this will be the third save).

Download zteer's oc modify generator and run the first (not the the first 'decomplied') renamed/saved .vmf with your third renamed/saved .vmf

You should now have a name_modify.txt

add to your obsidian/maps/cfg folder and you should be good to go.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
General_Francisco_Franco
prop_static
prop_static

Post by General_Francisco_Franco »

as fug said the best way is ask the map author for permision to use his map in the obsidian and if he can give you the original .vmf.

if you have time you have a new option: redo the map from scratch (all made by you)
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Our mapadd system makes recompiling existing maps obsolete, unless you have to change the brushwork, do as fug said.
JerC
Donator
Donator

Post by JerC »

just create info_player_start 's
Please don't take my posts before 2013 too seriously. It will be better for both you and I :c
JigglyWiggly
Banned

Post by JigglyWiggly »

fug4life wrote:Hi, to keep things legal and if your really hell bent on having this map, though searching for the author's permission would be ideal.

However there is a way.

You need to 'decompile' the .bsp using a program such as 'vmex'
Then open the 'decompiled .vmf' in hammer save it twice with out editing anything buy renaming the file twice.

Then in hammer remove the single player spawns and add info_player_deathmatch's instead. (I'd advise you to replace these entites rather than just changing its properties to a new entity or you might encounter troubles). Finally save the .vmf (this will be the third save).

Download zteer's oc modify generator and run the first (not the the first 'decomplied') renamed/saved .vmf with your third renamed/saved .vmf

You should now have a name_modify.txt

add to your obsidian/maps/cfg folder and you should be good to go.
Well I actually used vpex, which is a modified version of vmex for protected maps. I'll try that out.
Last edited by JigglyWiggly on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

http://z-server.game.coocan.jp/etc/oc_m ... tor001.zip

^ The program you want.

Renaming how you did it would probably be ok though I normally add a number at the end i.e '_d1'

The program just does everything for you. Also once you have you saved mapname_modify.txt

You should make sure that the name is that of the original .bsp and not of the decompiled vmf's

mapname_modify.txt (and no need for the .bsp at the end).

Note: there is another way (without hammer) though it involves writing the modify.txt manually removing the info_player_start and adding the info_player_deathmatch and using the same origins as the info_player_start. Info for the origins are in the vmf you have.
But really this is slow and long and subject to human errors I advise you learn to use the generator prog.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
JigglyWiggly
Banned

Post by JigglyWiggly »

Ah ok I get it, now I haven't tested it just quite yet. So if I just have that configuration on my server, will the other people have to download it?

Like here it is, I use W0r0fox's http server for map downloads.
If I just played that config file on my server(not his) will it work for everyone? Or will they have to download that modified txt file?
JigglyWiggly
Banned

Post by JigglyWiggly »

Awesome it worked! But I haven't tried it on my server. So I'll see if I have to put the cfg on Worofox's server for them to get it.
JigglyWiggly
Banned

Post by JigglyWiggly »

Just a fyi, i don't need to put it on his server, it owrks perfectly! thanks a lot man
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Sorry for my late response, yeah _modify.txt's are o.k. no need for, though obviously you'll need the map in the DL url. And yeah W0rf0x is pretty generous with his Bandwidth etc (he's helped me out with url's and hosting in the past).

Also if you want to learn more about Obsidians capabilities you should check out the maps/config folder and look at these:

_cfg.txt
_mounts.txt
_briefing.txt

The above files I normally create a .res file for to make sure they are dl from the server.

Also

Scripts/merchants is a nice thing you can play with to spice up maps ;)
Scripts/customweapon aswell.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
JigglyWiggly
Banned

Post by JigglyWiggly »

fug4life wrote:Sorry for my late response, yeah _modify.txt's are o.k. no need for, though obviously you'll need the map in the DL url. And yeah W0rf0x is pretty generous with his Bandwidth etc (he's helped me out with url's and hosting in the past).

Also if you want to learn more about Obsidians capabilities you should check out the maps/config folder and look at these:

_cfg.txt
_mounts.txt
_briefing.txt

The above files I normally create a .res file for to make sure they are dl from the server.

Also

Scripts/merchants is a nice thing you can play with to spice up maps ;)
Scripts/customweapon aswell.
:shock: How would I add a merchant? I mean how would I apply the scripts in hammer from the merchants files?
EDIT: Self solved, I just added the obsidian config.
Last edited by JigglyWiggly on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Add in hammer an npc_merchant set its object properties how you wish.
And make sure you give a script name in the properties as well.
Then just make sure the script corresponds with the name you specified.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database