Oc_Haventquitethoughtofanameyet

Show off work in progress maps.
The one free-man
Vertex
Vertex

Oc_Haventquitethoughtofanameyet

Post by The one free-man »

I haven't come across this sort of map before, and im quite surprised, because this appears to be quite a nice concept.
When i saw the map name "oc_castledefense" i got a very different impression to what it actually was, and was quite dissapointed, so i give to you, the concept for a castle-defense map!
Although i haven't got very far with this as yet (at all) and im still making the enemy system, here are some images to both give an idea of how this works if anyone hasn't played a castle defense game before, (games such as plants vs zombies is a rough type, the best defense game i've played is vr-defender y2k, which you can find via google) and as a sort of placeholder that this could be made eventually. :)
This one shows an exceptionally simple layout. "This map is not a representation of mah skillz" etc. The enemies spawn in that hole in the wall, before following the track and ending up at the wall, where a "life" will be taken away.
http://img527.imageshack.us/i/image1zz.png/
heres another image, this time from the enemy spawn (i dont think i had anti-aliasing on for some reason)
http://img527.imageshack.us/i/image2hl.png/
Once all lives are gone, instead of the game just ending, things such as the wall collapsing to reveal a group of enemies, or the "castle" falling apart eventually.
The defense system works by once an enemy is dead, points are given to all players (to help remove competition, and so boost cooperation) which can be spent of purchasing units. Units will be stationary npc's, that attack the passing bad guys. Money can also be spent on upgrading the units with better weapons.
There are still some problems that question the plausability of this concept, but im sure it'll all work out eventually (after many compromises).
Please give ideas that could help or hinder this, so i know whether or not to pursue this idea. :D
I also need a map name somewhat, i was thinking of something random and not really related, like oc_umizuri is, or oc_kake. those are good names.
Last edited by The one free-man on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I takes 42 muscles to frown
but only 3 to pull the trigger of a decent sniper rifle
and im a lazy man!

fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Sounds good.

Though upgrading weapons on the npc would need to be done on a new spawn of the npc, exsisting *cant* be upgraded methinks. Though I've seen a vid from Flat Zeus that has npc backpacks.

edited can to cant :S
Last edited by fug4life on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
The one free-man
Vertex
Vertex

alrighty then, ill take a look at that.
Until then ill try and get some better images, possibly of a better layout, from a better point of view, in a better kind of way.
and im a lazy man!

Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

This is more of a towerdefense map then. I called mine castledefense for the pure fact it's in a castle and you have to defend it from incoming enemies and prevent them from destroying the 4 element stones.
It also was a kind of simple and quick map i threw together, inspired by a singleplayer castledefense map that i had on my oc server. That one wasn't too much of a challenge so i decided to make my own suited for oc.
The one free-man
Vertex
Vertex

Oh, my mistake, yeah that was the one.
I still found it a good map though, i just didn't know what to expect.

in other news Im begining to work on the actual castle theme, to break away from the dev textures. Pics will be posted soon. (probably)
and im a lazy man!

Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

Looking good so far, keep it up, I'd like to see the finished product :)

I think i had a vmf of this sorta gameplay somewhere on my hd, it was where enemies spawn in waves and you had no guns and so you can only buy/upgrade/sell TOWERSOMFG. The towers actually worked and had their own stats and everything. Sad to say I didn't finish it due to complexity, although I might pick it up again (not during this year lol).
The one free-man
Vertex
Vertex

I can see what you mean by overly complex, this is getting crazy! :shock:
Sounds interesting though, im sure that if you still had the vmf it would be good to get a working beta of this sorta gameplay! :)
Ill possibly get some screenies on here at the weekend, of the new castle.
and im a lazy man!