Faceoff

Show off work in progress maps.
Rufus
Polygon
Polygon

Faceoff

Post by Rufus »

Okay, so we've all seen this.
Now, I'm posting a full thread, 'cause I can say for a fact that there's at least a beta release.

So, I'm going to open up with another screenshot. The previous one was on my first full test, this is from the second full test (which is on the [DC] server as I type this).

There are still some major changes scheduled, such as moving the lighting again so it's not so obstructive, and perhaps even removing the sniper rifle. (That gun isn't really designed for PvP combat.)

So, understandably at this point you're probably a bit confused.. And (probably not helpfully), I'm going to finish on explaining my concept of the map.
In my mad rush to learn more about hammer, and hopefully create something worth while, I started making a few maps with the prefix rvb_. This maps never came to anything, though one of my rvb_ maps may later make a reappearance if I make it look a bit better.
Each rvb_ map I made was themed. The first was a crowbar fight, the other was an uneven, yet not unbalanced map which had both teams fighting each other in different styles.
For some reason, I then got the urge to make this.
It's basic, symmetrical combat staged within two well armored bases. The idea is to cross high speed close quarter shotgun combat with zombie survival.

So, okay, it's a shotgun fest and nothing more. I am new to hammer.. Or at least, I've not really managed to advance far - yet.
I'm hoping that some feedback will help me to be able to make this map better, along with active testing and development. Who knows, I might even get it to a point that it's even acceptable enough to be included with the standard OC install. :lol:
Gary
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Gary »

I suggest making it not like a box, make a 3D skybox, makes those walls fences and support the observation room with structs.

If you want, you can send me the VMF and I'll do a simple version of what I mean for you.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Its hard to suggest much as not much is shown, easier to suggest when you get the beta out there...

* Mix up your zombies, you could have some fast, poison & zombine added in there. (zombine are not mount required).

* Don't forget to add the scripted weapon spas12 shotgun, two guns are better than one.

* If its a teamplay map, would be fun to have an end, simplist way would be to give players something like 10-15 lives. So when one team runs out of lives the other is delared the winner (A sort of team-last man standing senario).

* If its a deathmatch map even easier to add the lives LMS senario.

Good luck, and happy hammering!

If you need help on how to implement any of the above just ask.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Rufus
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Rufus »

fug4life wrote:Its hard to suggest much as not much is shown, easier to suggest when you get the beta out there...
Well, it's up on my server.
fug4life wrote:* Mix up your zombies, you could have some fast, poison & zombine added in there. (zombine are not mount required).
Well, the Zombies are more there for a distraction.. Adding fast zombies may make the combat zone unfair, as you'd get swamped by both zombies and players. A rare Zombine now and then might work though.
fug4life wrote:* Don't forget to add the scripted weapon spas12 shotgun, two guns are better than one.
Well, there's more than just the shotgun... But as far as I can tell, the Spas12 only has one barrel and takes longer to fire, and would be like adding a half shotgun along with the full one.
The map includes some AR2s for both sides, which is good because the map is rather bit and it's better that you don't have to run great distances to engage someone.
fug4life wrote:* If its a teamplay map, would be fun to have an end, simplist way would be to give players something like 10-15 lives. So when one team runs out of lives the other is delared the winner (A sort of team-last man standing senario).

* If its a deathmatch map even easier to add the lives LMS senario.
This seems like a good idea. I'd like to explore some other ways of finishing the map, but I quite agree that an end would improve it.
Gary wrote:I suggest making it not like a box, make a 3D skybox, makes those walls fences and support the observation room with structs.
I agree that the walls are a little bit bland, but I don't think many sky-boxes would fit it. The idea of the map is that it's quite claustrophobic even in the open areas.. The only other way I could achieve that, is with a city-scape... And that's going to take quite a bit of reworking!
Hmm, but it does need some spicing up.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I did see you testing the map yesterday on the server. I would join but I'm so busy with my own work right now, perhaps at the weekend I'll be about to have a game.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Rufus
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Rufus »

fug4life wrote:I did see you testing the map yesterday on the server. I would join but I'm so busy with my own work right now, perhaps at the weekend I'll be about to have a game.
That sounds good. I'm hoping to have the third version up by then too. It should be less of a camp-fest.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Hi, well I managed to spend five minutes running around. It's actually not bad if your fairly new to mapping.

Only real problem I think is you have two planes of water on different levels in the same vis_leaf. Basically as you come out of the base into the water there is a plane before you go up the steps and the again for the main water, in total you possibly have 5 planes of water in that main arena. Quote me if I'm wrong but I'd say they are all in the same visleaf (which is bad).
check out sdk_hints map for more info if you dont know about hint brushes and visleaves.

Is there some sort of trigger_push that kicks you out of the base makes it difficult to get back up the stairs? I struggled. Also doors seemed a bit jerky and close to quick. This could be the server and my ping.

Apart from that its a good start, the box main room especially the sides and ceiling could do with some love some func_detailed colums and what not, plus more combine theme texure wise to suit the inside of the bases.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Rufus
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Rufus »

I wish I could post some good news, unfortunately, my new computer died last week, I'm now awaiting a replacement part and won't be able to work on the map till it turns up.
Will post again once I get another version out, but that'll be some time yet.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

:occrash:

Darn, hope your back up and hammering soon!

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

I find your comment ironic, fug. You see a guy hammering his pc, thus breaking his pc.

Rufus' pc is broken and now he can't hammer anymore.
I think that is funny.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I see where your coming from.

:lol:

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Rufus
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Rufus »

Aurrgh! I went to open hammer, and.. Well, I just can't update it to work with OC 1.35.
I'm thinking of throwing the towel in on this one, seeing as it seems like it's going to be more trouble than it's worth right now.
If anyone wants the possibly corrupt VMF that's half way to b4, just let me know.

EDIT: Okay, seriously looking for some help here: I decompiled my older versions, from the WIP B4 version till the finished B3 version that's on my server, all my other maps work fine, but Faceoff won't load.
The VMF file for Faceoff_B3 is
Here.
It'd be nice to know if anyone can get this to load.

EDIT 2: Heh, what a long strange trip it's been~!
I've manually reconfigured my OC settings once more in the SDK, and I'm finally seeing some results.
I'll leave the VMF up for awhile though, seeing as I'm still not sure if I'll manage to finish this. This however, does mean that I can get my B4 in the works again!