ks_universe

Show off work in progress maps.

Which would you rather see:

A second ship (and possibly ship to ship combat)
30%
A good story (Maybe voice acted NPC's?)
15%
A bunch of planets (unique planets)
45%
Upgrades for the Raptor (Health, speed, etc...)
10%

Total votes: 20

Feline XVII
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Feline XVII »

Chandler wrote: if the map is as large as you say it is sounds like this sucker is gonna be huge for servers to load, and the way the BSP algorithm works (from what I"VE heard) the smaller a map is (so it can partition the areas) the better. sounds like bad lagzors to me.
Yes, I realize this and have been working on keeping the map "Vis Friendly" Vis is the program which seperates the map into draw areas, the more of these, the less gets drawn in each area. So I'm doing my best to keep things open while preventing them from getting to large to run. Space stations will be the least laggy, due to the fact there is no sky to fly up into, other levels will include caves and other vis tricks (the U for example), to save CPU and Memory.

The biggest problem I'm worrying about is the NPC's, and the whole Large number vs AI intelegence. The more NPC's the less time for AI, thus I've got a bit of enemy management to work on.

Thanks for the comments, and I'll do my best to keep lag down, because we all hate it.
Watch your health, and by health I mean ammo, they're basically one in the same.
GIGAR
Polygon
Polygon

Post by GIGAR »

Mm looks neeeat gimmeh!!!
DarkMasterOz
Vertex
Vertex

Post by DarkMasterOz »

I've been wanting to do this idea for a while, but i couldn't
see how it could be done without using more than 1 level.

My idea was to make a map like Firefly, a little ship to walk
about on while somebody flys it, then when you go through
a planet gate (like in Freelancer) it teleports you to that planet
and you have to talk to people to get missions which involve
collecting cargo and delivering it to another planet.

If you manage to do it, you'll be my hero for a week.
Feline XVII
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Feline XVII »

DarkMasterOz wrote:If you manage to do it, you'll be my hero for a week.
Consider me your hero... though it'll be a while before I get a good enough Beta of the map for people to even waste their time playtesting. But as for the planetary movement, it's already done and working. Missions are working, although there are only assassinations and retreaval missions thus far. I've got to work in a stealth mission type, and some other types maybe.

I expect I'll have a beta ready for play testing with in the month depending on how many hours I have to put into work and school.

Release should include three working planets with 6-8 missions per planet, more "personalized" ship rooms, and two factions.
So far:
One working planet, two planet skeletons.
Four Missions on one planet.
One partially working faction.

I've got my work layed out for me.

Edit:
Just a confirmation, yes it is like Firefly if you're talking about the NWN conversion. Although that's brough up problems with exiting the ship, namely when it rotates... something I'm trying to get around.

Also new pic's have been uploaded, and are viewable on my first post.
Watch your health, and by health I mean ammo, they're basically one in the same.
Power-Mad
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Power-Mad »

make a cylinder of half life black texture to place inside the dam's tubes.