oc_archhall

Show off work in progress maps.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

unconnected wrote:Infinitely better than Vasili - awesome, another mapper with some ability has joined us :)

Looking good so far, keep drip feeding us pictures please!
Hey I could do that, just my map's don't have a theme like that.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Add some volumetric light from those windows. Would look awsome. :D
nefarious
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by nefarious »

Lighting is the best detail you can give a map and detail can make any map good.
unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

Dark_Mage2 wrote:I could do that yes. Btw I cant make npcs spawn from an npc spawner for some reason soo I need help..
I smell a distinct Egyptian theme here...with that in mind:

With the textures as they are, some volumetric lighting would set it off a treat. Whether it be from Hollywood blockbusters or documentaries on tv, you always expect huge shafts of light in old Egyptian temples. Add some of your own and the map's quality will improve immeasurably. A liberal sprinkling of func_dustmotes and you're on to a winner!

Anyway on to your problem, from the screenshots it appears that you're not a complete newbie when it comes to mapping, but to be sure I'll link to a few very good tutorials on the subject of spawning npcs:

Basic npc_maker tutorial: http://www.snarkpit.net/editing.php?pag ... HL2&id=164

An npc_template_maker is slightly more complex, but only slightly. One of the keyvalues is "TemplateName", here you should specify the name of the npc that you wish to clone. i.e. you've setup a combine with certain weapons etc. Make sure the named npc has the "Template NPC" flag ticked.

Of course you probably know all that in which case you might want to explain the issue in a little more detail.
Dark_Mage2
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Dark_Mage2 »

Usualy things like the dustmotes dont work for me, rain and fog didnt work for me... oh well here have an "interactive screenshot". :D

http://rapidshare.de/files/36386657/oc_ ... 1.bsp.html

Its only the spawn room and room1 with 31 combines that clutter around the npc entrance.. but please dl, play and suggest what I could improve on. I shall add another room tomorow.

(If rapidshare disagrees with you give me the link to another upload site of your choice.)

Also I just realised what I did wrong with the template npc spawner, I forgot to tick the template box for the combine..
unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

Dark_Mage2 wrote:Usualy things like the dustmotes dont work for me, rain and fog didnt work for me... oh well here have an "interactive screenshot". :D

http://rapidshare.de/files/36386657/oc_ ... 1.bsp.html

Its only the spawn room and room1 with 31 combines that clutter around the npc entrance.. but please dl, play and suggest what I could improve on. I shall add another room tomorow.

(If rapidshare disagrees with you give me the link to another upload site of your choice.)

Also I just realised what I did wrong with the template npc spawner, I forgot to tick the template box for the combine..
I like the idea of giving someone an "interactive screenshot" it's good to see a map before it gets released and it's also nice knowing a mapper is open to feedback early on too.

Ok had a looky and here is some feedback.

Entities first:

I see you've got a weapon_strip on spawn (by the way I loved the chutes!), and that the players land directly on the pickups and are ready to go. However I just wanted to know why? Are you stripping weapons just to remove the health kit? Either way you could equip the players with their weapons via a game_player_equip entity, that way you could just have ammunition spawn in the start room or the barrels (as it is now) just outside the start. Alternatively you could stick all that ammo on some shelves in the start room, which would look great.

I had a quick look at the map using the ai_show_connect command, I reckon a few info_node_hints wouldn't be amiss.

Of concern is the number of info_player_deathmatches available on the map. I appreciate space is tight however - maybe make those chutes a little taller and add a second set of them?

Textures next:

And yes, I appreciate this is the first look at a brand new map.

I see there is the beginnings of a displacement at the combine force field, hopefully you're thinking about extending this over the entire floor area? Displacements are great, they really turn a blocky level into a more organic looking level. Also the start area textures, would a slightly more sandy look go better in there? The cinder block walls clash with the next area at the moment.

Lighting last:

So far it looks good, but it could look great. As discussed before some volumetric lighting and func_dustmotes would be the icing on the cake. I found a basic tutorial for the volumetric aspect:

http://www.editlife.net/tutorial.php?tutid=64

and one for the dustmotes:

http://forum.interlopers.net/viewtopic.php?t=1784

Well thats it, so far it all looks brilliant. I had a look at the .VMF and the brushwork is good too.

I'm off on a business trip later today, but when I get back in a few days I'll be looking forward to seeing more!

Once again, nice work.
unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

tomgreen wrote:Here is my advice for the next or one of the rooms (yes its done in fricken paint chill im not using my photoshop and wasting time you get the idea.) Image You could of course arch everything and have giant arches coming down in the center ofver the pits. It would be cool if someone did more elevations in the map with the walkways or at least the center one go up. They could slant up in an arch characteristic lol.
Seriously, I don't understand why everyone is so excited about the Hydra model - yeah its looks cool, but at the moment it's buggy as f*ck; jerky, no proper way to kill it and it only targets one player. It probably looks shit and/or canes the FPS on a <dx9 machine too. If I had to have a long thin monster coming out of a pit I'd rather use a monster_tentacle right now.
unconnected
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by unconnected »

Vasili wrote:
unconnected wrote:Infinitely better than Vasili - awesome, another mapper with some ability has joined us :)

Looking good so far, keep drip feeding us pictures please!
Hey I could do that
No, you couldn't.
Dark_Mage2
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Dark_Mage2 »

Thanks for the feedback. Il improve the first room in several ways you suggested but others il add in future maps. I used the weapon stripper to remove the medkit and pistol and il use the player_equip in future.

Btw im having trouble making the combine soldiers move into hall1 without using pushers/conveyors. I want it so when they spawn they run into the hall rather than glide mysteriously in.

Edit: Nvm! I got the combine soldiers working. :D
Dark_Mage2
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Dark_Mage2 »

Update!

Tweeked

Tweeked again
tomgreen
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by tomgreen »

When using tentacles since they are boss based from hlf1 and moded a bit you have to measure the high from where they are lets say in a pit like mine just right so they can actualy hit you insted of missing so that takes a bit of guessing.
Kinhoshi
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by Kinhoshi »

The Hydra is pretty cool, but nothing to obsess over, in my opinion. Also, yay more maps!
fragged131
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by fragged131 »

looks damn good :3
Dark_Mage2
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Dark_Mage2 »

Im afraid I wont be able to work on the map during the weekend so to make it up to you all I provide many screenshots.

Run away!

No return

Tiny room

Tiny room again

A peak into the 2nd arch hall

2nd arch hall

2nd arch hall again

Frohman ftw

Suggestions for when I return please :D
Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Hickadam »

Looking great!

Only suggestion I can give would be to use dramatic lighting effects, such as wall sconces, spotlight sprites, maybe a couple of dynamic lights hanging on a rope in key areas, but not too many. Source hates dynamic lights.

Plain lights that are compiled with vrad have virtually no impact on framerate, and make all the difference between "wow" and "meh."

Keep up the great work!