prefab request

Request prop/weapon models, mapping prefabs, map textures or texture replacements here.
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

The so-called night in oc_harvest is an env_fade set to black, though some colorcorrection might really improve the effect. For the dawn, tysn has an env_fade with the flag 'fade from' checked, the color is some yellowish white i think.

For 'buying stuff' neico's wiki might be helpful (though i don't really know), but there should also be some other mappers around here who know how it works
Image Image Image

Excuse me for being rude. I'm usually drunk while posting.
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

I put the map protection stuff in for a reason. It took me over a year to come up with and make all of the entity work in harvest and I did not want someone coming along and copying all of my work into their map. The fact that you as well as other people on this forum are so nonchalant about decompiling and and circumventing decompiling protections is disturbing.

Like blues said its not hard for a mapper to just look at something in another map and see what entities are made up of it. No, making this map wasn't rocket science, but keep in mind I was going on absolutely nothing when I made this stuff. Do you think the parts of gameplay that people find fun is something I just stumbled on to? Every gameplay system went through multiple forms before I arrived on something decent before passing this map to the beta testers during development, and this took a very long time. Stuff like filling a bucket with water when it enters water and having plants soil get wet when said bucket is waved over it is easy to make if you know thats exactly what you want to do, but coming up with entity systems that offer fun gameplay is NOT easy.

So no, I don't give out the vmf for remakes of this map nor do I like cloned versions of it because the amount of work that goes into those things is a hell of a lot less than what actually went into oc_harvest. Heck oc_paysan copies all of the styles of harvest down to the info posters, not to mention the giant slab of decompiled city 17 used for its town shows just how much less work went into it.

The point behind levels in the funmap genre like oc_harvest, oc_umizuri, and oc_kake is that that they offer something completely different from standard combat/puzzle maps. We don't need another somewhat altered harvest like we don't need another somewhat altered umizuri or kake. We need maps that either offer something completely new which is the point of funmaps, or maps that continue the effective gameplay of combat and puzzle maps which are native to hl2. A clone of a funmap is not going to add anything to the mod and your better off coming up with a completely new fun gameplay concept or making a combat or puzzle map.
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

:garryblow:

Tysn just said it.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Tysn wrote:No, making this map wasn't rocket science, but keep in mind I was going on absolutely nothing when I made this stuff. Do you think the parts of gameplay that people find fun is something I just stumbled on to? Every gameplay system went through multiple forms before I arrived on something decent before passing this map to the beta testers during development, and this took a very long time. Stuff like filling a bucket with water when it enters water and having plants soil get wet when said bucket is waved over it is easy to make if you know thats exactly what you want to do, but coming up with entity systems that offer fun gameplay is NOT easy.
I apologize if you misunderstood what i was saying. I know how hard it is to make an original map from scratch. I was just encouraging him to create it on his own, seeing how mapping is very straight forward and easy to figure out without help or guides/tutorials.

It's clear that you put lots of work into all of your maps. I recall spending more than 2 weeks on one crazy puzzle in my map and I can tell anybody that such simple things in a map takes a lot of time and creativity to make if you are trying to be original.

So I apologize if you were offended, I didn't mean to put down your work at all.
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

First: Like shiftey, I didn't want to put down your work in any way, Tysn. As you said, my point is that once somebody has thought up something, it's normally not that hard to copy with just a little knowledge of hammer and an idea of what you're doing.
But, Nagash, like many said before, I don't think another harvest style map is very necessary, sorry, but I don't even play Tysn's very much anymore, because at a certain point it became boring to me (after hours and days of beta testing without a break :lmao: ) compared to diverting coop maps where there is often more space, a longer way to go and (what is very important to me) more things to kill. :P
Anyways, it will always be a reason for joinig a server if there's at least somebody I know there, because it is still fun and I like the map.
It even convinced me to make a banana tree model that is still somewhere to be found on my HDD but it is unfinished, because I didn't ever find any good reference pictures of the leaves and trunk on the internet... (...making the creation of a decent texture impossible)

Second: I like your dancing hat, Tysn :D
Image Image Image

Nagash
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Nagash »

like i said before, i'm not making a harvest clone or anything like that, i just want to use a few bits from it, and since this is a prefab request section of the forums, i took a chance and asked for something that could help me out... if nothing is available, then i accept that and will get on with stuff myself.

In regards to prefabs, i've never actually used one inside a map of mine apart from ones i've made myself for my own mod's community (Dragonball Source). I merely use prefabs to see how things work, i find it an easier and more fun learning tool than just reading a wiki.

I also respect the work you have done on the original map tysn, only reason i tried to decompile was because it was recormended to me by this community as though i was stupid for not doing it in the first place, then i used crafty as an offline map preview tool which lets you explore the map without loading up the mod, i noticed the export tool and it let me save entities so i can see whats happening. If this was wrong of me to do this and you didn't want me to do it, i apologise for what i did and would never have done it if i had known you didn't want me to.

anyway, now i'm going through the motions of making the layout of my map and i know exactly what kind of coop experience i want to create now, and it's not going to resemble a harvest clone, though it will use a few gameplay elements that i have enjoyed in playing harvest, which are being used merely because you inspired me to make it. the end result of the map probably will end up something completely new.... love it or hate it, it'll be my end result. I make this map purely so my clan can have some fun playing it, and if they do, i'll release it here.

Thank you for the help, it has made it so i'm not going into this thing blind
sven666
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by sven666 »

Tysn wrote:not to mention the giant slab of decompiled city 17 used for its town shows just how much less work went into it
Not saying anything. If I took c17 as an example is that the player have a different view of this piece of city already met in half-life. It helped me to focus more on the scripts. And it has not taken only 2 days!
I am currently in the process of replacing all your models for the B03.
I have never belittled and I admire your work, see mine as a compliment of yours.
Tysn
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Tysn »

Regardless of whatever you think your map does, fact is it still detracts from harvest. I told you why I didn't want you to use my models from harvest in your map because I made them specifically for harvest to give the map a unique feel. Well the same goes for gameplay. With harvest I worked to bring a completely new kind of gameplay that hasn't been seen in hl2 mods which would really impress people who played it. But now if say someone were to play paysan before harvest, they would load up harvest and think "Oh, another farming map." Your map's existence cheapens the effort I put into making harvest's gameplay unique, so its not very hard to understand why I wouldn't see your map as a complement.
Nagash
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Nagash »

only my personal opinion, but seems odd to me why you would put so much effort into making a good game mode for a source based map, and then not want people to make something based upon it. not saying your view is right or wrong or anything, i am merely saying that i've not come across that kind of opinion before in the mapping world :D. Anyway, maybe he could put something in his map saying it's inspired by your map and a sign saying "if you enjoy this map, be sure to check out oc_harvest".

Just a thought anyway, cos surely there's a way for him to continue and be on your good side ;). Maybe something like you get final approval over his map before he releases it publically?

Though the thread has diverted a bit from my original request, i'd just like to add that in no way will people get confused between the gameplay in my map and harvest, i merely gave harvest as an example as to something i enjoy about this mod. People may see things in my map that remind them of harvest, sure, but the objectives of the map won't be similar.

Finally, i'd just like to say that my request is over, if i post more about it, i'll make a WIP Map thread, so i'm happy for this thread to get locked by a moderator before it's truely hijacked about the differences between those other two maps ;)

Oh and one more thing to add, i'll be sure not to add the models you intend to be unique to harvest within my map, unless of course i have your direct permission to use them, though atm i don't see me having a need for them.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Ok I havent read this whole thread, but oc_harvest/oc_paysan clones are fine in my honest opinion as long as you add your own twist of originality.basically at the end of the day they are rpg/rts style gameplay.

So have some stuff going on like grand theft auto missions etc.
I'd like to see more urban stuff.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Ok I had a bit of time to read the posts above mine.

End of the day I wholey sympathise with Tysn. I think the farming aspect of it is what makes harvest, harvest.

Resource gathering is a concept. So I think it should be utilised by others.

However...

Though I have to agree the shroom picking and plant growing was a bit too much for paysan. As it is paysan slightly undermines harvest becuase its not the main focus of the map interms of resources. there fore it becomes a 'sideline' to farm. I think if you'd ploughed your ideas into the tree cutting, mines and streets, you might of had a bit more respect from Tysn.

Well 2 late now...

I thought about this a while ago, I love harvest and I love paysan, the ideas in both I'd like to use as some 'form' of inspiration.

Here was my idea...

Resource gathering whilst fighting battles for weapons and stuff! Oh we had that the day we got merchants... you can see where I'm going
Skidz really took the whole rts/rpg style to hl2 coop.

My idea though on a serious note was inspired by both harvest and paysan, but I was going to have players accept missions to achieve stuff in a terminator (after judgement day style destroyed city) thing. FIGHTING the combine with gorrilla tactics 'hit and run stuff where you build up your squad with items and weapons before you can take on the final tougher missions'. Hence the GTA style stuff I mentioned above.

End of the day its Role Playing and its Real Time Stratergy!

Sorry if my posts are a bit hard to read, internet here isn't very stable.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
JerC
Donator
Donator

Post by JerC »

fug4life wrote:Ok I had a bit of time to read the posts above mine.

End of the day I wholey sympathise with Tysn. I think the farming aspect of it is what makes harvest, harvest.

Resource gathering is a concept. So I think it should be utilised by others.

However...

Though I have to agree the shroom picking and plant growing was a bit too much for paysan. As it is paysan slightly undermines harvest becuase its not the main focus of the map interms of resources. there fore it becomes a 'sideline' to farm. I think if you'd ploughed your ideas into the tree cutting, mines and streets, you might of had a bit more respect from Tysn.

Well 2 late now...

I thought about this a while ago, I love harvest and I love paysan, the ideas in both I'd like to use as some 'form' of inspiration.

Here was my idea...

Resource gathering whilst fighting battles for weapons and stuff! Oh we had that the day we got merchants... you can see where I'm going
Skidz really took the whole rts/rpg style to hl2 coop.

My idea though on a serious note was inspired by both harvest and paysan, but I was going to have players accept missions to achieve stuff in a terminator (after judgement day style destroyed city) thing. FIGHTING the combine with gorrilla tactics 'hit and run stuff where you build up your squad with items and weapons before you can take on the final tougher missions'. Hence the GTA style stuff I mentioned above.

End of the day its Role Playing and its Real Time Stratergy!

Sorry if my posts are a bit hard to read, internet here isn't very stable.
Nice.I was thin,king about a map where you work as a police officer,you arrest criminals,stop bank robberys,etc. And buy ranks for have better weps,better squad.
Please don't take my posts before 2013 too seriously. It will be better for both you and I :c
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

fug4life wrote:gorilla tactics
Image Image Image

JerC
Donator
Donator

Post by JerC »

Blues wrote:
:lolcry:
Please don't take my posts before 2013 too seriously. It will be better for both you and I :c
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

-=jerC=- wrote:
Blues wrote: