Faceposer precache problem

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Faceposer precache problem

Post by Hickadam »

Hey, I was wondering if something had changed, and I just missed it, or if there was an issue with obsidian.

I make my sound files, I sync em up, make the .vcd, and go to try it in a map.

When the sequence starts, they go through the animations, but no sound or lip-syncing is present. The console says that the specified .wav files are not precached.

I tried it in plain old HL2, and it works fine.

Is there some new procedure to follow for obsidian?

And as a side note, it looks like the "bad movetype" error is fixed. Is this true?
[FTA]c0m4ndo45
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by [FTA]c0m4ndo45 »

bad movetype is fixed.

About sound i also have a bit of trouble with it: If i send the sound in a separate file of the map, it works and runs fine. But if i send the sound packed inside the map (With pakrat AND path fixed) it does not work.

I really want it packed inside the map because if someone dl the map trought server itll play without music, and my map without combat music is sucks.
<Proud to be a gamer>

Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Hickadam »

My problem is a different one, but thanks for the input anyways.

I'm just glad the bad_movetype is fixed.
Hyperjag3
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Hyperjag3 »

The not precached thing happens with lost coast sometimes too, I don't know why.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

It seems to be related to the newer code updates valve released. Episode 1 seems to do things a bit differently from what I have noticed.
Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Hickadam »

Well, I found out what the problem is, and developed a "workaround", although I don't know how much use it will be in the end...

Problem is that the game will only use and precache sounds intended for speech when they are in the game_sounds.txt file, or subsiduaries. My scenes work great, after I updated all the .vcd to point to oc_cannon.vort1 instead of oc_cannon/vort1.wav.

Problem with this is, I don't see any way to transfer the modified game_sounds.txt file (game_sounds_vortigaunts.txt to be specific) using bspzip, because I think those scripts are run on game startup, not a map to map basis. Correct me if I'm wrong here...

Anyways, I'll field this one to skidz and Hyper; do you guys have any plans to implement a fix for this? Or am I just missing something stupid like putting the entries with "CHAN_VOICE" into the map modify text files?

Any help would be appreciated...
Hyperjag3
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Hyperjag3 »

It probably does need a soundscript entry, but just use the map-specific soundscript files (mapname_soundscripts.txt in the maps/cfg directory). They act just like game_sounds.txt, but on a per-map basis and don't need to be added to the manifest.
Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Hickadam »

Bitchen.

That sir, is why you rock.