A sideways map!

Discuss Certain Aspects of Mapping, Modeling, and Coding.
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

A sideways map!

Post by Svanrog »

Someone should make a map according to this consept! http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/10941

I think it would be great! I would do it myself, but since I already have one map in production I don't have time for another one. Play this map and get some inspiration!
HBK
Banned

Post by HBK »

No time to make a sideways map? Takes 30 seconds. Ripoff a map with VMEX, select the brushes and flip it with the rotation tool. :P

I know that was kinda impertinent, but that's one way too.
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

HBK wrote:No time to make a sideways map? Takes 30 seconds. Ripoff a map with VMEX, select the brushes and flip it with the rotation tool. :P

I know that was kinda impertinent, but that's one way too.
Yeah, but the thing is that the gameplay should be optimized for sideways gaming. If it's not you will only get a normal map that makes you dizzy. :)
Blackfinal
Polygon
Polygon

Post by Blackfinal »

Not when you Protect your map from Decompiling ;)
Let's say Your hour has come again...
Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Hickadam »

That's worth asking...

How DO you make your map decompile-proof?
Tofu
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Tofu »

Q. I'm a map author. How do I stop someone decompiling my map with VMEX?

A. There are several ways (in order of increasing security):
Add a property key "no_decomp" with value "1" to any entity. (You will need to turn off smart edit to do this).
Use a texture called "tools/locked" on any non-culled face in the map. (This is not a real texture, so you will have to make a custom one.) You may hide the texture in a sealed room, but it can't be on any culled face on the map (facing towards the void).
Use this small prefab: protector.zip. Add it anywhere in the map, but don't rotate or scale it. If you retexture it, make sure all faces and all brushes have the same texture. Don't use the texture "tools/toolsinvisible", but "tools/toolsnodraw" is fine.

If VMEX detects any or all of these present in a map, it will refuse to decompile it. Note that a sufficiently wiley user can fairly easily alter your .bsp file to remove the first two methods (and thus allow the map to be decompiled), but they would need extensive knowledge of the .bsp format to remove the third, so this is the most secure.
Power-Mad
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Power-Mad »

I've done maps like these, where you ened ot scale or twist a number of rooms while working on twilight zome. I find it best to just make the room, THEN rotate it. make it while it's already rotated adn it will give you headaches.
Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Hickadam »

Thanks!
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

id rather have the right-ways maps before going into these speical breed of maps :P
Chandler
npc_hunter
npc_hunter

Post by Chandler »

I'm pretty sure to remove those entities you just need a hex editor

OH NOES! I BROKES THE DECOMPING!
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Power-Mad wrote:I've done maps like these, where you ened ot scale or twist a number of rooms while working on twilight zome. I find it best to just make the room, THEN rotate it. make it while it's already rotated adn it will give you headaches.
I've attempted to make a sideways map where I build all the rooms sideways at once. It's a pain in the arse! :x
That's why I'm not going to make one! And because I don't have time. :?
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

This sound's like a job for.........

Vasili! *Batman Theme*
Dodgy
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Dodgy »

I always thought it would be cooler to make an upside down map, with all the props static on the cieling, as though you were actually walking on the ceiling.and everything wasn't moving below you. Never had the time to actually try and make it look believable though.
I make maps.
Askaris
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Askaris »

While this would be extremely hard, it would be really good if you could make a map where the orientation of gravity keeps changing. One minute you're walking along the floor, the next minute you've fallen headfirst into the ceiling.