Ambient Generics Suck

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Ambient Generics Suck

Post by shiftey »

Ambient generics play too soft and the falloff distance is like 3 feet. I need a sound to come from a loudspeaker but I don't want it to play everywhere. I already bumped the volume of it up to 10 and the file itself is pretty much as loud is it can get at 0 db.

I need some help because it's really pissing me off how the gunshot noises blow my speakers out and the ambient generics sound like somebody whispering.
TheMoon
prop_static
prop_static

Post by TheMoon »

You can adjust their radius by typing in a value or using the handle in the 2d views (helpers must be toggled on).

You can't turn the volume louder than 10 though. Only thing you could do is extract the sound file, boost the volume within the file itself using some sound tool, and then include it in your map once youre done.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I set the avergae RMS level at -6 db using sony soundforge, which now plays louder than the raw wav hl2 gunshot sounds. But when I put it in my map with an ambient generic, it makes it sound really weak. I tried messing with soundscripts but they don't appear in hammer. I added my soundscript entry to "maps/oc_undersiege_level_sounds.txt" like they say on the valve sdk site.
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

shiftey wrote:I added my soundscript entry to "maps/oc_undersiege_level_sounds.txt" like they say on the valve sdk site.
Thats not how it works in oc, we use our own way,
put it in maps/cfg and call it mapname_soundscripts.txt, if that doesnt work (hyper said it does, but i never used it so im not sure), use that way, it works 100%, as i used it plenty times already.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Nice. Yeah the first thing you said worked, putting it in the cfg folder. Can you put scripts and sounds into a bsp like you can with models and materials?
Axel_m3sh
npc_combine_elite
npc_combine_elite

Post by Axel_m3sh »

shiftey wrote:Can you put scripts and sounds into a bsp like you can with models and materials?
I'd also like to know this as well
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

The reason OC uses the cfg folder is because we had custom sound scripts far before Valve implemented them and we used the cfg folder. It still works this way today because everyone was already using the cfg folder.
Deathy
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by Deathy »

skidz wrote:The reason OC uses the cfg folder is because we had custom sound scripts far before Valve implemented them and we used the cfg folder. It still works this way today because everyone was already using the cfg folder.
The only problem is that if you include it in your map (Pakrat) it doesn't get recognized by Source and you have no soundscapes in your map.
The way to solve this would be writing your scriptfile into the soundscapes_manifest.txt and then include both into your map.
Don't forget to change the soundscapes_manifest.txt to default again since you'll get awkward sounds in the hl2 campaigns. ;)
oc_28-seconds-later_b2 (90% - on halt)