Displacement Entities

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Displacement Entities

Post by shiftey »

So I have looked around and it appears that displacements can in no way be tied to an entity.

Maybe somebody has an alternate solution to my problem.

In HL2, many headcrab canisters appeared throughout the game in giant ditches created with displacements. I'm trying to recreate these craters but make it so they don't appear until after a canister crashes. However, due to the fact that displacements can't be turned on/off or created/destroyed, I'm not able to accomplish this.

Does anybody have a viable solution besides cutting a func_brush up into a million little cubes?
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

Making it a model maybe.
Mr. Someguy
npc_hunter
npc_hunter

Post by Mr. Someguy »

Can't you just make the displacement always there, then have a breakable brush over it, then have that brush break when the canister lands?
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Model would be best.

Or (the func_brush idea dosen't have to be a million pieces), make your crater, bring up a flat square brush like you'd have water on displacements, pehaps with a bit of vertex editing for a simple bump or two. And have it as a func_breakable (not func_brush)and choose some appropriate gibs. concrete is normally good for rubble.

Its the best solution if you dont want to make a model. you can rotate your bumped brush around so it dosen't always look the same and make 2-3 variants.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Mr. Someguy
npc_hunter
npc_hunter

Post by Mr. Someguy »

fug4life wrote:Or (the func_brush idea dosen't have to be a million pieces), make your crater, bring up a flat square brush like you'd have water on displacements, pehaps with a bit of vertex editing for a simple bump or two. And have it as a func_breakable (not func_brush)and choose some appropriate gibs. concrete is normally good for rubble.
Exactly what I said, just worded better.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

I guess making a model is the best option, although it's a bit of extra work. At least texturing it will be simple, being how that is always the hardest part of making a model.
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

There is a point entity that can transform displacements. i don't remember the name though.

so you could just put a displacement under the ground displacement, set the entity to pull it up and activate it when the canister crashes.
Image Image Image

Excuse me for being rude. I'm usually drunk while posting.
KON_Air
prop_static
prop_static

Post by KON_Air »

fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Well, I never....

Something new I've learn't today. :o
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

The entity's called env_terrainmorph. It seems to be bugged though and doesn't affect the physics of the displacement it's exerting its force on.
So you could just turn that displacement non-solid from the beginning, to use a little less collision data in your map.

Edit: oh, lol, hadn't noticed your post before, KON_Air
Image Image Image

Excuse me for being rude. I'm usually drunk while posting.
KON_Air
prop_static
prop_static

Post by KON_Air »

Actually the hull update is irrevelant, player wouldn't be able to notice that and crabs already hop out of the canister plus canister has its own collision.