Screen Message like in the Bunker map

Need Help? The Day isnt going so well on the Mapping front?
DarkMasterOz
Vertex
Vertex

Screen Message like in the Bunker map

Post by DarkMasterOz »

How do you make them screen messages like in the Bunker map, for example the message "Stay low to avoid security cameras".

I cant seem to find out how to do that, any help would be great.
tundra_cool
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by tundra_cool »

game_text
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

game_text_quick is a more simple ent. All you need to input is a msg to it and it shows it.
DarkMasterOz
Vertex
Vertex

Post by DarkMasterOz »

Thanks, i've got it working now, It should help me make it so people can find their way around my map.
nefarious
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by nefarious »

Do you have any screenshots of your map?
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Yeah, if you have, you should post them in the WIP mapping forum. :)
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

I got an additional question: How do I make the text smaller and how do I change line? I want ot have messages more like those in metastasis.
Hyperjag3
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Hyperjag3 »

I don't know how to make it smaller off the top of my head, but to change lines the newline character '\n' should work. Don't use the quotation marks when using it, and you can just drop it right in the middle of the line without spaces.
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Hyperjag3 wrote:I don't know how to make it smaller off the top of my head, but to change lines the newline character '\n' should work. Don't use the quotation marks when using it, and you can just drop it right in the middle of the line without spaces.
Nope, doesn't work. I've tried it before, but hammer automatically changes it into /n. :x
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

I made two seperate ents for freezingpoing...
But the newline idea sounds good, havnt tried it myself.
DarkMasterOz
Vertex
Vertex

Post by DarkMasterOz »

I can post a few pictures, but i'll need to change a few textures first because at the moment its just for personal use until its finished. So i've used 2 textures from Sin Episodes or is it alright to post pictures of it using them textures?
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Pictures are fine, releasing is another story.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

IGNORE THIS, NO LONGER NEEDED!

Oniyuri wrote:
Hyperjag3 wrote:I don't know how to make it smaller off the top of my head, but to change lines the newline character '\n' should work. Don't use the quotation marks when using it, and you can just drop it right in the middle of the line without spaces.
Nope, doesn't work. I've tried it before, but hammer automatically changes it into /n. :x
Sorry to bump such an old thread, Ok I'm using game_text all works fine apart from the /n part ( for a new line) and I'm using it with out quotes or spaces i.e
help me/nplease

I read somewhere that the maximum per line is 60 characters and the maximum per message is 127 characters! Iwill check this tonight. Anyone else got/come across this problem? and did reducing the amount of characters work?

regards fug
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

ok, I've posted here in case others come here and read this...
I found this on the synergy forums and decided to take a look.
If you want to add new lines to text and find that /n dosen't work, try opening the sdk_hints map and look at the message written in the text entity.
you'll notice where they want the lines break they have used a small square symbol (similar to this [] but actually one character). I can't paste it here as I have no idea how to recreate this symbol from my keyboard.
The good news is it's possible to copy the symbol in hammer and paste into your map's text entities in hammer! so no more multiple entities! for a group of sentances!
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

fug4life wrote:ok, I've posted here in case others come here and read this...
I found this on the synergy forums and decided to take a look.
If you want to add new lines to text and find that /n dosen't work, try opening the sdk_hints map and look at the message written in the text entity.
you'll notice where they want the lines break they have used a small square symbol (similar to this [] but actually one character). I can't paste it here as I have no idea how to recreate this symbol from my keyboard.
The good news is it's possible to copy the symbol in hammer and paste into your map's text entities in hammer! so no more multiple entities! for a group of sentances!
It must be a key that represents an <Enter> key in some way. haven't seen this before.