Return to City 17

Release your amazing Map creations here!
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Thanks for the stellar feedback fug4life!! :D :D I always look forwards to hearing what you have say about my maps.

Of course, I always look forwards to hearing what anybody has to say about my maps, but that's not the point ;)
fug4life wrote:A) making more of whats already in, i.e more headcrabs, bullsquids, and others that are currently in, general increase the numbers for most encounters. I think the map is playable fps enough to do this, I think there is room even for a third gonarch in the final encounter.

B)Risky but maybe increasing their health a little bit more.
I agree - I think a few areas need to be tweaked -> adding more npcs, making their health a tiny bit more, etc. I'm certainly going to up the health on the Gonarch. (And adjust the cave - sometimes he gets stuck :?). I'd like to keep it to one Gonarch, but if it's really too easy I'll think of adding another.
fug4life wrote:C)And it all depends on what is planned for other maps (I sort of know whats in two of them) but adding new npc's like what others have suggested. But the only npc's I can think of that would suit the first three maps are maybe and I stress maybe the presence of Zombies, Fast Zombies, Poison Zombies (with a compliment of headcrabs), Poison Headcrabs, Boss Antguards (maybe), Snarks in a couple of confined areas, stuff like that.
Damnit!! I forgot about snarks! I'll certainly have to see about adding some of those in...

I agree, having some zombies might make it a little more challenging, but they would have to be pretty rare. This is wilderness, so you aren't going to be seeing many people (other than the population centers you go through).
fug4life wrote:D)Because the map has this exploring element I think finding medkits is cool although it does slow down the pace of co-op play (can be a good thing) , so I think removing the oc medkit (carried medkit) for the first two, even maybe the third map would be good, and have the oc medkit introduced later when your going to really need it more. Or reduce some of the medkits lying about, or find a balance between the two...
That's probably the very best suggestion I've heard all week. I'm going to go into those maps right now and take out the oc medkit. I knew there had to be something that could be done like that, to make it a lot harder and make the medkits more useful! It's perfect because in my development, the oc medkit was useless, as I was playing it alone, so I made sure to add hidden medkits all over the place, but with your teammates healing you constantly they weren't useful at all - nobody went searching for them 'cause nobody needed them!!

Best suggestion ever.
fug4life wrote:I won't mention the forklift It's fine as it is, but I'll take my hat off to a mapper who gives you a couple of forklifts where you gotta move some boxes from a to b, as a little side objective, maybe two can drive while others stack the pallets, but to even get the forklift drivable is one thing to make it lift stuff another and the pallets would need re-modelling altogether,.... In other words forget it!
Oooo.... that'd be a pretty nifty puzzle!! I'll have to see if I can work that in somewhere...
fug4life wrote:The boat, It should stay, oh yes boat, boat, boat!
I'd prefer to have it than not, even if this means adding pods for the passengers to strap them selves in aswell, I know it's not totally realistic, but its the fun factor that wins in this situation.
boat boat boat
fug4life wrote:Having played two of the other maps (only in beta so they may have changed since I last played) You really need to look at all the maps as part of a series, and I know thing's spice up as you go along, and I know that things become a lot more challenging and fun combat wise. You really have more to look forward to in terms of diverse gameplay, aswell as the high standard of geometry!
Yes indeed :D
fug4life wrote:The main heart ache with this series is that for now you have to make do with the story line in text and not using faceposer and lipsync'ing like he originally planned, I pray that both DaMaN and Hickadam get there wishes and Valve or whoever fixes this.
Me too. Even though it would have delayed the release of the maps, I still would have loved to get some faceposer in :'(
fug4life wrote:DaMaN btw if you want I'll let you know all the places I've managed to sneak into the sky box through climbing and serious off route exploring, Although none of them affect gameplay or are obvious, but if you wanted to crack down on allowing people to wonder. I'll let you know where some clipping is needed. And a couple of gfx glitches I spotted although barely noticeable...
Certainly, send me a pm!! I wanted the curious player to be able to climb around, explore around, etc, without actually making it into the skybox :?. My brother (MeDiEvAl~CoW) did a lot of climbing to try and break the level and he found a number of places I have already blocked off, but I guess I missed a few places :)
fug4life wrote:Having roughly seen 5 of the maps (which are all still to be tweaked to perfection) I can say that this series (as Fire_cube says) is...Truly Epic!

[fug steps down from soap box and filters quietly back in to the crowd]
:D
fug4life wrote:EDIT: can't help myself just wanted to say, I also loved the skill puzzles (jumps etc) and I loved the looping areas of the maps, I think there is just the right amount of both in, Back to AI maybe some npcs like the houndeyes would benefit from having a couple of bullsquids present in the encounter.
:D
That might be a good idea - I've never tried getting them to work together but that might make a few areas of the map more challenging. I tried having an area where bullsquids would be fighting off headcrabs, and the players would come across it and be stuck in the middle of the melee, but it turned out to be way too easy to stay out of the way and kill off the survivors :? I guess I never thought of having bullsquids and houndeyes together...
fug4life wrote:and finally if you do get face poser working, If your after a voice actor for charles,.... can I apply? I have my middle name as charles? although I'm english not sure if my english voice is what your after , but who knows :)
Absolutely!! I'd love for you to do Charles' voice acting! (Well, depending on how well your voice-acting abilities are ;) :lol: ). If I ever get faceposer to work, I'll definately get you to do his voice. I didn't really have anything specific in mind for his voice, so I'm sure yours'll work. (The only person I had a specific voice in mind was Sergei ;)).
Xesum wrote:I played with fug last night, (he was afk most of the time) but anyway map 2 is the best, the most chance of getting killed.
the boat is dangerous, how about little speed boats??
So... having more chances to die = better map?? :lol:
Tono-Tako wrote:use some traps for those speed runners.
I agree. Second time playing through the maps with other people, we had a speed runner doing all the fighting and running off again before we could catch up. I'm certainly open to suggestions on how to delay speed runners...

Though the bullsquid spawn in the second chamber seemed to work well when I was playing... :D
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

I might be able to help you with the voice acting I am only 16 so I more than likely should be a minor role like the guy who tells you about the portal storms being bad in the house or something send me some sample text and I will be glad to try!I have always wanted to do this :D
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

Post a sample of your voice, so i can laugh at it.
Steve
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Steve »

Oh, I know. Alien Grunts. They are tough.

Controllers too, for the hell of it.
Steve: Yo tengo tu madre en mi pantalones, lolzo
Fire_cube: my mom is actually in MY pants
Fire_cube: youshithead
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

Fire_cube wrote:Post a sample of your voice, so i can laugh at it.
FINE why am I doing this >_>
http://files.filefront.com/sound+testzi ... einfo.html
oh ya I am BORED thats why.
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

You definitely sound dumber and more pathetic on the internet.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

gtaiiilc wrote:
Fire_cube wrote:Post a sample of your voice, so i can laugh at it.
FINE why am I doing this >_>
http://files.filefront.com/sound+testzi ... einfo.html
oh ya I am BORED thats why.
Not bad... speaking too fast and monotone, and the rebels aren't exactly military so I'm not sure where the "sir" comes in, but I think I could use you for voice acting. That is, if faceposer ever works... :?
Steve wrote:Oh, I know. Alien Grunts. They are tough.

Controllers too, for the hell of it.
I considered using both of those, but I decided against it. I'm trying to make these as realistic/cannon-istic as possible. IMO, most of the grunts and controllers would have been killed during/after the events of hl1. Also, alien grunts would seem to need some sort of leader to direct their motion, along with a fairly large industrial base behind them, and breeding grounds for their hornet shooters. (I mean, how many human grunts do you see in hl2?). Vortigaunts are fairly rare, and have been enslaved by the combine, so, yea, I just didn't think they'd be very common in the hl2 universe.
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

I said sir becuse I was trying to be nice and its better than saying gorden :P

as for npcs on the antlion beach you could add a tentacle in the sewers a hydra I know you cant kill them but the looks will be a nice change.

and for the boat since its a fishing boat add fishing seats for players to set in "steal" the airboat seat model from that gmod mod
Fenrir
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Fenrir »

As said, too fast, too monotone.

Keep working on it.
I will spit right in your fraking face.
How does it taste? After the lips are sealed below your waist,
You will never frak again.
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

thanks for the info here no more faked accent now I sound like a redneck :oops:
http://files.filefront.com/v2zip/;86026 ... einfo.html
Steve
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Steve »

haha....red states.

Anyway, I'd love to do some voice acting for you. I have a deep voice and can display EMOTION.

Also, you have the houndeyes and others teleporting in as a result of the portal storms, the same happened for Alien Grunts in the original HL. I'm assuming the portals indicate them coming from Xen, and for all we know Alien Grunts are still being manufactured there. They are really tough and fun to fight.
Steve: Yo tengo tu madre en mi pantalones, lolzo
Fire_cube: my mom is actually in MY pants
Fire_cube: youshithead
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Agreed, Agrunts are cool, I think their health should be raised a little bit.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Sorry it took me so long, I will have a play though and see what else I can find, for now of the top of my head:

Skybox areas... (all in map 02)

At spawn you can climb back up through hole, up the re-enforcing rods to sky box.
At first house you can go down to beach and swimm left to skybox.
At secrect bay/port on the far side you can go in a small canyon, and If you use a crate you can also get to sky box.

In tunnel at spawn there is a white glitch at the brush joins where the tunnel changes shape (mid way through).
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

I got the cristal put in the train then they left me!

Deathy
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by Deathy »

Really good map there DaMan, had the same thing as gtaiiilc...TheMoon got in and then it started.

The driveable boat is Uber. :twisted:
oc_28-seconds-later_b2 (90% - on halt)