Return to City 17 (previously named coastmap)

Show off work in progress maps.
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

remember if you need help you still have testers
And to you, gtaiiilc, W0rf0x, Gandorques Hikla, fug4life and Fenrir!, get testing! I'm expecting feedback.
and I still play the maps one idea put a alyx gun in one of the houses before the heli attack you said it on page 2 so I figured i could say it here) if this is not done before 1.3 we wont see it but it will be use full after the release(I play it in both beta's looking for things that should b added and changed 1 word ickys!)
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Fire_cube wrote:If you were someone else, I'd surely say "WOW NICE HL2 COPYPASTE"

But then I remember how you are THEMAN!
Damn straight! :)
Fire_cube wrote:So yeah, looking awesome. Except the fact that my 5200FX does a better job than whatever you have :?
Very true. My Radeon 9800 is no match for your 5200FX.
fug4life wrote:Nice work, as always looking very polished :)
Thankyaveramuch
gtaiiilc wrote:remember if you need help you still have testers
And to you, gtaiiilc, W0rf0x, Gandorques Hikla, fug4life and Fenrir!, get testing! I'm expecting feedback.
and I still play the maps one idea put a alyx gun in one of the houses before the heli attack you said it on page 2 so I figured i could say it here) if this is not done before 1.3 we wont see it but it will be use full after the release(I play it in both beta's looking for things that should b added and changed 1 word ickys!)

zomg I have so many plans for ickys...

But yea, I'm glad about the beta testers, especially seeing as how I've started map #3 in the series. The first two maps aren't very action-y so I figure that before I get some testing I should finish up #3 and release the first three map betas at the same time, otherwise a lot of feedback will likely be "zomg, dis mapz r t3h boringz!". (Take, for example, if you had only played the first two maps of Half life, or HL2. By themselves they are fairly dull, but help set up for the next few maps.)

Anyways, speaking of the third map... Screenshots!! Yea, the making of this map kinda started off with a bang - something clicked and I managed to set down a good 1/8th of the map in one go. So yea... screenshots...

That's all for now. I'm going rock climbing outdoors tomorrow, and have a dragonboat competition this weekend, so that'll be all for the updates for a while. I'm really hoping that I can get the third map into beta by September, but we'll see how it goes.
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

I can't see why you're intentionally lowering your graphics to complete shit though.

What's with the xen plant :shock: ?
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

Fire_cube wrote:I can't see why you're intentionally lowering your graphics to complete shit though.

What's with the xen plant :shock: ?
we are getting farther away from the combines anti xen control so im guessing its a xen lamp? and its light should be more orange not as White as a light bulb since it is still going thow flesh(and for a creepy after effect)
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Fire_cube wrote:I can't see why you're intentionally lowering your graphics to complete shit though.
Ehh... no particular reason. Mainly to get the game going faster.

IMO faster/less laggy game > graphics.

Plus it takes long enough to compile the maps without having to wait around for the graphics to render. But meh...
gtaiiilc wrote:
Fire_cube wrote:What's with the xen plant :shock: ?
we are getting farther away from the combines anti xen control so im guessing its a xen lamp?
Yep...
and its light should be more orange not as White as a light bulb since it is still going thow flesh(and for a creepy after effect)
I was kinda playing around to see what other monsters worked well ingame. I'm not impressed with the xen light, something seems to be wrong with it. When I go up close to it it doesn't withdraw into itself, and there's no little hud popup with health (I guess that's not really a problem, I could probably do it all with a prop_dynamic, a light, and a sprite...). But yea, I agree, the light needs to be more orange.
Lark
npc_advisor
npc_advisor

Post by Lark »

gtaiiilc wrote:
Fire_cube wrote:What's with the xen plant :shock: ?
we are getting farther away from the combines anti xen control so im guessing its a xen lamp?
Yep...
and the grunts they weren't THAT dumb am sure there still alive and the controllers did they all die with the niaillith and off topic

...Image
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

BM: Source xen levels better be the most-exciting source experience I've ever had.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

Fire_cube wrote:BM: Source xen levels better be the most-exciting source experience I've ever had.
Its going to be crazy awesome I'm sure. Half-Life 1, the greatest game ever, made way better. Xen levels wont disappoint.
Steve
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Steve »

I can't imagine trying to recreate those levels from scratch in the source engine. God bless these men.
Steve: Yo tengo tu madre en mi pantalones, lolzo
Fire_cube: my mom is actually in MY pants
Fire_cube: youshithead
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

I hope they don't frak up the awesome xen ambience wind sounds, and that relaxing regeneration pool noise.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

skidz wrote:
Fire_cube wrote:BM: Source xen levels better be the most-exciting source experience I've ever had.
Its going to be crazy awesome I'm sure. Half-Life 1, the greatest game ever, made way better. Xen levels wont disappoint.
Steve wrote:I can't imagine trying to recreate those levels from scratch in the source engine. God bless these men.
I would give my left testicle to have a go at recreating the xen levels for BMS...

-------

Well, I'm back, and just when you thought I was back, I'm leaving again! Yea, more vacation, but I'll be back in a week. (The dragonboat festival last weekend went well, my team came 24th out of 90 boats).

But before I go I'll throw some screens down: (I'm not entirely slacking off...)

Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

last shot looks more like a earth cave than a xen cave, is that intentional?
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Fire_cube wrote:last shot looks more like a earth cave than a xen cave, is that intentional?
Yes. I'm intending for the players to be "Earth-bound", and won't be traveling to xen (like HL2). However, due to the ongoing portal storms, large amounts of xen wildlife have been transported to Earth. Here they have established their own ecological niches, forcing civilians to flee to the cities, which are under combine control.

So, yea, while there is a lot of xenian stuff, it's all in one of the many Earth wastelands now inhabited with xen wildlife.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

The dragonboat festival < tell me more?

BTW, sexeh cave!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote:The dragonboat festival < tell me more?
My team competed in the Victoria Dragonboat Competition. The team I was on is comprised entirely of cantcer survivors (myself included - the name is The Strength Within - you can read the team bios on the website). We made it to the Silver A Finals, placing 24th out of 90 boats! We got a couple great races - fastest time was 2mins 26sec (for a 500 meter course).

But yea, it was a really fun festival with a lot of good races. :D
fug4life wrote:BTW, sexeh cave!
Hehe, thanks!

Yea, so I'm back from my vacationz! Still need to do a lot before college starts up, but I'll see about some new screenshots soon...