oc_rising_dead (oc_waking_dead_2)

Show off work in progress maps.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

oc_rising_dead (oc_waking_dead_2)

Post by DaMaN »

First of all, I'm open to suggestions for titles ;)

ImageHalloween Special!Image

You were rescued by the military and taken to their impromptu HQ. They're a little short on soldiers, so can always use a helping hand, preferably holding a machine gun.

Unfortunately, the zombie infestation is not as contained as they originally thought...

oc_rising_dead

This is the sequel to your classic shoot-em-up escape-the-city zombie map. 'nuff said.

I'm taking a quick break from Return to City 17, (because it's October and oc_waking_dead was such a success) to work on another special Halloween map. I'm really hoping to get this released (even beta version) by Halloween, but I won't be surprised if it gets pushed back into November.

Currently, I've completed 40% of the geometry, and 10% of the entity-work. However, I've got most of the layout this time on paper and a bunch of prefabs left over from the last map, so (hopefully) it'll proceed rapidly. (You'll notice from the screenshots I'm using some stuff directly from HL2 - it was just too awesome to pass up.)

Ideally I'd like to get some voice acting. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll PM you the lines and context. (Mainly I'm looking for a few short 10 second clips to advance the storyline a little.)

But enough about the map, let's see some screenshots!

"We could sure use a hand around here..."

"Hold your positions!"

"There's more!"

"Over here too!"

"Better start shooting..."

"Hey, we're just on guard duty here."

This map will also be featuring a new zombie! So you won't get quite as bored shooting only two types of npcs! Now there's three! Take that Hell-met!

Stuff I'd like:
- I NEED AN HGRUNT ZOMBIE MODEL/SKIN PLEASE!!
- Also, if you have any other models/textures/map-sections/etc you think would look good in this map, let me know (Anyone got a good pumpkin model?).
- Just along with the model thing, I'd also like a sandbag model.
- I also might have a few voice-acting jobs for this map - depends on how much I get done.
- Any other suggestions for how to improve upon oc_waking_dead are also welcome, though I've got some ideas of my own, and I think this map will be slightly different anyways. ;)

Try not to eat too many brains...

DaMaN
Da_HL_MaN@yahoo.ca
Last edited by DaMaN on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

20 days for you to do it.
Looks good though.
sgae
FUCK ALL

Post by sgae »

interesting...

i'll keep my eye on it
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Yes! I love the original waking_dead, can't wait to give this a go.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I lol'd, I knew you couldn't resist, what with L4D getting closer and closer.

Only suggestion for waking_dead. Is more fast zombies through out map.
I thinking of making a mapadd zombie style and I wanted Fast Zombies to be main npc. Reason, I actually like fighting them. The Best example of a Fast Zombie encounter that I find a joy everytime I get there is the last tunnel in W0rf0x's broken escape 01. I'm not very adventerous and normally do the same thing which is. Sit there picking of the fazt zombies that are over whelming my team mates who cant kill them quick enough.

And your going to hate me but final defense I would like more intense for a longer period of time before the end. waking_dead is a bit like AA the action really heats up just how I like it as some transporter comes to pick me up take me out of the fight! no damit the fight was just gettting interesting! I'd definately would like to see the intenseness for atleast last five minutes, I like it when we are starting to get overwhlmed. Basically same thing I said about antlion_attack.

So on to this one yes looks great, not sure about the floor tile texture (bigger tiles, it looks a bit interior than street).
Go watch Predator 2 for some nice fastzombie scenes. I really like curve'y subway bends with crash tube train and lots of pulsating lights from lit to darkness! freezing meatfactory!

Infact I think Preadtor 2 is a great film for looking for nice set piece action!

Erm there is a map oc_paysan (Harvest like map) made by sven666 he has pumpkins in his map I think, I'm sure of it.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Ignore what I said about tile texture, i changed my mind on a second look
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Ny
Phone Donator
Phone Donator

Post by Ny »

Waking dead must have a missing wall somewhere because you finish the map in 10 minutes max
:nyoron:
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

NyHoK wrote:Waking dead must have a missing wall somewhere because you finish the map in 10 minutes max
If someone is being a retarded rusher/exploiter, yes.
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

Great map. I can't wait for the sequel.

On a quick tangent (it just popped into my head)....I think it'd be pretty cool if two or more mappers got together to create a series for OC. Almost like a full campaign that can be played on OC and showcases everything that this mod allows you to do. Bring all the great minds of OC together.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote:I lol'd, I knew you couldn't resist, what with L4D getting closer and closer.
It's true. I had that mapping itch again. :lol:

It's looking like they'll both be released around the same time, which is good, because I don't have a computer capable of running L4D yet :cry:
Only suggestion for waking_dead. Is more fast zombies through out map.
I thinking of making a mapadd zombie style and I wanted Fast Zombies to be main npc. Reason, I actually like fighting them. The Best example of a Fast Zombie encounter that I find a joy everytime I get there is the last tunnel in W0rf0x's broken escape 01. I'm not very adventerous and normally do the same thing which is. Sit there picking of the fazt zombies that are over whelming my team mates who cant kill them quick enough.

And your going to hate me but final defense I would like more intense for a longer period of time before the end. waking_dead is a bit like AA the action really heats up just how I like it as some transporter comes to pick me up take me out of the fight! no damit the fight was just gettting interesting! I'd definately would like to see the intenseness for atleast last five minutes, I like it when we are starting to get overwhlmed. Basically same thing I said about antlion_attack.
Lol, ok, I understand that my definition of crazy-go-nuts battle isn't quite what your definition is. I'll try to adjust that for this map ;)

The first main battle, which is on the steps of a parliament building (as you've probably guessed) should be a little bit tense, and quickly escalate, so expect to jump into the map with an epic battle on your hands.

So on to this one yes looks great, not sure about the floor tile texture (bigger tiles, it looks a bit interior than street).
Go watch Predator 2 for some nice fastzombie scenes. I really like curve'y subway bends with crash tube train and lots of pulsating lights from lit to darkness! freezing meatfactory!

Infact I think Preadtor 2 is a great film for looking for nice set piece action!

Erm there is a map oc_paysan (Harvest like map) made by sven666 he has pumpkins in his map I think, I'm sure of it.
Sweet! Haven't seen that map anywhere, but I'll have a look for it. ;) Any ideas on where I can fish up some sandbag models?

I've seen Predator 2 and I love the action. Currently, I've got one or two scenes modified from certain movies, so I think the action will be good. ;)

And yea, I'm planning on having more fast zombies in this one, as well as bloated zombies. I'm hoping to elevate the number and intensity of the zombies a bit too. Plus I've got these wicked sequences in mind too.... Yea, it should turn out good. :)
W0rf0x wrote:
NyHoK wrote:Waking dead must have a missing wall somewhere because you finish the map in 10 minutes max
If someone is being a retarded rusher/exploiter, yes.
Grrr... yes, I'm not too happy about this. I played once with someone who managed to get to the end in less than twenty-five minutes. Pissed me off to no end because the other people were playing it very cautiously and "proper". I'm planning on a few anti-sprinting measures in this map, but it makes me annoyed that I have to add playerclips from here to space to keep speed-runners from getting overtop of them. :evil:
ronjonsh wrote:Great map. I can't wait for the sequel.

On a quick tangent (it just popped into my head)....I think it'd be pretty cool if two or more mappers got together to create a series for OC. Almost like a full campaign that can be played on OC and showcases everything that this mod allows you to do. Bring all the great minds of OC together.
Well, Return to City 17 is a pretty big campaign for OC, but it doesn't REALLY showcase all of what OC has. Hey, I'd be up for teaming together and creating something epic. Though perhaps I should finish some of these other projects on the go... ;)

----

Did some more work on it today instead of studying for my midterm, working on my English project, or getting over this cold. Changed the lights around after reading this interesting article: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... psychology
I was skeptical, but it really made some of the interior stuff a lot more unnerving.

These are all outdoor shots though, 'cause I'm still working on the indoors.

So other than sandbags, or military zombies, I'm wondering about certain map goals. The way I've got it set up in my mind would require the players NOT to be stupid, and for the most part that's true, but if they ARE, it might screw the whole map up. Any ideas on how to deal with this besides restarting the whole map (which I think people didn't like that much on return_c17_05).
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

You could have an NPC that kind of hints or tells everybody what to do. In my map I have a NPC that leads you around to the different objectives just to make sure stupid players don't get lost. Maybe I'll make some type of option to have him shut up if players don't want to be given a guided tour of the map.

Or you could just make lots of waypoints and screen hints.

By the way those screens look nice. I didn't know you could have so many characters on screen at once.
Tono-Tako
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Tono-Tako »

yay for npc vs npc fights.
you can have some logic objectives, like turning on the lights, if they fail for some reason, they cant see shit, but the map still going (a bit harder due to light)
Vote for obsidian conflict in moddb
One click a day doesnt hurt your finger
sgae
FUCK ALL

Post by sgae »

transparent walls FTW!!! :D

yes, add some interesting objectives and don't make the map boring (oc_waking_dead becomes boring when u play it 4 or 5 times because u get bored of killing fail slowish zombies).

some interesting stuff can be puzzles, bring one object to "X" target, bring supplies, activate/deactivate stuff...
larz
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by larz »

Cool. Also loved the first waking dead. Can't wait to try this. I'm just now playing return to city 17 for the first time. I played the first map for awhile, haven't figured out how to beat it yet, it's pretty cool. I uploaded all 6 maps to my funbarn server, just having issues with trying to add them to the oc_lobby_modify.txt :'(
Microsoft™ wrote: my favorite thing to do is rape little children
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

ronjonsh wrote:You could have an NPC that kind of hints or tells everybody what to do. In my map I have a NPC that leads you around to the different objectives just to make sure stupid players don't get lost. Maybe I'll make some type of option to have him shut up if players don't want to be given a guided tour of the map.

Or you could just make lots of waypoints and screen hints.
I really like the idea of having an hgrunt leader giving you orders in the thick of battle, but what happens if he gets pwned by zombies? Who will give you orders then? WHO I ASK YOU? ;)

I'm planning on having a number of waypoints - they can be annoying sometimes, but I find they make it MUCH simpler on people who have no idea where they're going. I think I need to add some of those into oc_return_c17_01...
By the way those screens look nice. I didn't know you could have so many characters on screen at once.
Actually me neither, I was expecting it to lag up really harsh, but I guess the OB engine is equipped to handle that kind of stuff now, which is great! :D
sgae wrote:transparent walls FTW!!! :D
Oops. WIP! WIP!!
yes, add some interesting objectives and don't make the map boring (oc_waking_dead becomes boring when u play it 4 or 5 times because u get bored of killing fail slowish zombies).

some interesting stuff can be puzzles, bring one object to "X" target, bring supplies, activate/deactivate stuff...
Yea, the first part of this map should be much more objective-based and much less zombie-kill-based, though there will still be plenty of zombies to kill. I'm going to try to come up with some more puzzle-based stuff for the last half of the map, but the first half is lots of objectives, so I think it'll be fun. :)
Tono-Tako wrote:yay for npc vs npc fights.
you can have some logic objectives, like turning on the lights, if they fail for some reason, they cant see shit, but the map still going (a bit harder due to light)
Yay for npc vs npc fights!! I'm hoping to take a little more advantage of the AI scripting to do some epic fight scenes. It'll be my first time with ai_battleline or w/e it is, so should be fun!

And yea, I've already got some plans for the lights... *cough* generator failure *cough*

;)
larz wrote:Cool. Also loved the first waking dead. Can't wait to try this. I'm just now playing return to city 17 for the first time. I played the first map for awhile, haven't figured out how to beat it yet, it's pretty cool. I uploaded all 6 maps to my funbarn server, just having issues with trying to add them to the oc_lobby_modify.txt :'(
I saw a server on last night playing oc_return_c17_01 - must've been you guys. I would've joined, but it was 2:00am by that point ;) And the first map definitely needs the most exploring. Keep looking around - that's the most important part of it ;)