Return to City 17 (previously named coastmap)

Show off work in progress maps.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:potd:

I was happily mapping away today, thought I'd take a break from all the stress of it all and have alook on the forums and , OMG, OMG!!

So now I can take a break from mapping and start playing!
I've been looking forward to this....!!!

Feed back coming, first playing!!!

:Cacodemon: :drawf: :luigi: :koopa: :shadows: :chrono: :??: :rocketman:
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

WoW, you almsot brought a tear to my eye, I haven't laughed like that playing a video game, for a while.

one word; Beautiful!

I'll PM my feedback to you, don't want to give away anything!!!
I made some notes as I was playing, not much too complain about, but I decided to be very picky and petty when looking for faults, But I think with this quality it deserves the attention.

I'll pm a little later need to re-compose my self after that. :D

And by the way, Congratulations!!!

:thumbsupgabe:
CozmicShredder
Polygon
Polygon

Post by CozmicShredder »

Well so far seems like this map is well loved cannot wait for the final release! It's just what this mod needs some new maps to show off the next update!

I hope to see lots of new servers offering fun fun fun!!!!
CozWorld Gaming Community
http://www.cozworld.com
sgae
FUCK ALL

Post by sgae »

i can be a beta test?????

i know medium mapping skills...

i send you a PM
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Thanks for all the compliments guys! The more compliments I get, the faster I work!

Tiny bit of an update, I've started work on the next map after Beachhead, and after a bit of mapper's block, it's started to take excellent shape (1/4 of it is looking sexy). (I'm getting good inspiration from d2_coast_11). After that, I'll be starting into the very beginning of the series (I'm kinda going after this whole series thing in a very patchwork way), then working my way forwards until I get to the prebeachhead map.

As for the other two, I've recieved excellent feedback from fug4life and W0rf0x, with some excellent bug/error spottings! Next week I'll do a re-compile with some bugs tweaked and errors eliminated, then I'll release another beta!
Last edited by DaMaN on Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Glad to hear, the others are already in the works, I know how you feel, I think it's easier to have more than one project on going, you can take a break from one, work on the other and vice versa, and noramally you go back to problems with a fresh approach!

<fug patiently waiting>
sgae
FUCK ALL

Post by sgae »

i tested the map and it runs fine, i only see one bug in the first map, the apc becomes crazy and shots himself :S

in the second map, odessa is buged and nothing happens when he stop's talking :S

other perfomance bugs are some unecesary faces (behind buildings or under the roads) and in the first spawn map the "tunnel" has a lightning bug

the rest is fine and i didn't see errors or bugs...

the difficulty for me is OK
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Alright, well, I figured it's been about a month since I released the other two maps for beta testing, so it's time for an Update!

I still haven't re-compiled the two maps from the suggestions I received, probably because I'm lazy, but really because it takes a good 8 hours to compile them both. But rest assured, it will be done, and will be done soon. (I hope).

As for the next map, it is currently coming along very well - I'm perhaps 3/4s complete the map. Also, large parts of this map will be used in another map, so it's really like doing 2 maps in one. Which is always good.

My current issue with the map is antlions. (what's a map without antlions?) The issue I'm having with them is spawning - I want them to do a similar thing to d2_coast_11 (the beach before the rebel base), where they will spawn and unburrow closest to the player. Now, that part of it was fairly easy to work out, but i have the spawn-closest-to target set to !player. So my question is, it'll work for one player, but will it work for two players, or if one player is playing on a dedicated server, etc. I've toyed around with target names, and I currently have it set to "player" instead of "!player", which should in theory work, but I'm not certain. Any ideas?

======

EDIT: Ok, i think i've figured out how to get antlions spawning closest to the closest player. !pvsplayer in the spawn target. Seems to work for me.

======

Also, with this map sorta-nearing completion, I will be beginning work on the first map in this envisioned series. In case you haven't noticed, I am very much going for a valve-like atmosphere to this series (which is partly why it's taking so damn long to make). One of the things I would very much like to have, especially in the first maps, is a number of npc's talking, and introducing the story via that medium. Which brings me to my point: if anyone has any links to tutorials regarding face poser, scripted sentences, scripted talking, etc., please let me know. This is one aspect of the game I haven't really looked into, so it's like delving into a new realm.

Last but certainly not least, I thought I would mention that since I will be attempting to make the npc's in these maps talk about what's going on in the story, I will be needing some voice-actors. Just to introduce story arcs and generally make the map experience more fun and more involved. I'm especially looking for someone who can do rebel or Dr. Kleiner impersonations. This is not urgent, as the map isn't even made for them yet, but more something to keep in mind. If you are interested/able to do voice acting, drop me a PM.

Screenshots of the latest map will be coming next week! Stay tuned!
Last edited by DaMaN on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Good news!

I don't know much about scripted sequences apart from the lil bit i did for alyx and g-man (which isn't quite how i wanted it but it's ok), ohh and the metro cop kicking door.

If you wanna take a look, I can put alyx and gman into alil map so you can see what I atleast tried to do... if it helps
I did have a test map with em in somewhere, but it be no trouble to copy paste them out of my map good to test sequnces in a 1 room map, they are fiddly to get right!.
I'll find some tut's for you tomoz
Tono-Tako
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Tono-Tako »

Vote for obsidian conflict in moddb
One click a day doesnt hurt your finger
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote:Good news!

I don't know much about scripted sequences apart from the lil bit i did for alyx and g-man (which isn't quite how i wanted it but it's ok), ohh and the metro cop kicking door.

If you wanna take a look, I can put alyx and gman into alil map so you can see what I atleast tried to do... if it helps
I did have a test map with em in somewhere, but it be no trouble to copy paste them out of my map good to test sequnces in a 1 room map, they are fiddly to get right!.
I'll find some tut's for you tomoz
Sure! I often find that it's easier to learn off of an example or prefab, so if you can upload it and send it to me that would be great!

And some tutorials would be appreciated as well!
:D
I'll be studying this...
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Ok, This is what i used,

There are loads of mistakes in this that I din't correct, you'll see what I mean.
I've sent it, anyway so you can have a play with it.

The reason I din't really fix, is beacuse the scene is for alyx n gman in a glass elevator that lowers through the roof of the arena, and really players can't get too close, and the sequence only happens during a battle, so it wasn't meant to be inspected too closely. the few animation mistakes I may now go back and fix for my map. you'll see....

What I wanted was for it to look like they were having a disscussion, that turns into a mixture of emotions....

Something along the lines of alyx made a bargain with gman, sell's you guys out to him, or makes a mistake in the bargain and you guys are the price thats paid, gman forces her to watch you guys get slaughter'd. or she's emotionally tied to both g-man and you the players!

http://files.filefront.com/test+sequenc ... einfo.html

the metro cop is in there, and as you'll see his timing isn't too hot either, but whateva...

These were from the door kick tutorial and I think, a make barney walk and wave tutorial, on interlopers.

I'd love to really work more with scripted sequences, but soo lil time!

<oh and if any else wants a play with this they are more than welcome
It's quite cool, making them act and stuff>

which reminds, snarkpit has tut on act_busy, but I didn't try..
Sonic
Former Developer
Former Developer

Post by Sonic »

v.nice, can't wait for the realease i like defense maps and things like that :)
Image>>>>>Image<<<<<
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Another one of those tiny, pathetic updates!!

Currently, I've got the first two maps in the series being worked on. Coming along slowly but surely. (There will probably be around 8 to 10 to 12 maps, depending on what happens. So far 2 of those are essentially done, 2 are in progress (mabye 1/2 done) and 2 have been sketched out.)

Haven't started to delve into faceposer yet - been working on getting the look and feel of the map down before I add in specific speeches by npc's. I've been screwing around with sequences (thanks for the example map fug4life!), and act_busy's, etc., all stuff to try and get my npc citizens looking less like npc's. ;)

A good example map I used for acting_busy can be found at the vdc wiki: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Actbusy

Both the maps I'm currently working on are unlit, but most of the geometry and moving things are done. So... yea. That's my update. Oh, and it's 3:00AM.

P.S. Ohohoh! Tomorrow (err... today, Jul 2) is my Birthday! Yay to me!! (Don't worry, I'll be taking a break from mapping ;))
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

Happy Birthday!

:rockin:

No present for ya, quite the reverse got a present for us? any teaser pics form new wip? No harm in asking... :lol:
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database