Using the Medkit Model?

Obsidian General.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Using the Medkit Model?

Post by DaMaN »

First of all, having just come across this mod recently (today), I must say I am really impressed by the mod. I've been dying for a decent co-op HL2 game for some time now, and Sven 2 has been off the radar for a while. I haven't actually played this mod yet, (being as I'm not at my home computer), but it looks awesome.

A bit of an introduction:

I'm a long-time mapper (started seriously mapping for Duke Nukem 3D), and an avid player and mapper of co-op maps.

Here are a few mapping samples of mine in Half life 2:
http://sdklounge.com/forums/index.php/topic,27.0.html
http://sdklounge.com/forums/index.php/topic,28.0.html
And here's a WIP of mine:
http://www.obsidianconflict.com/forums/ ... .php?t=871

I also have a number of prefabs avaliable (most are custom made drivable/flyable vehicles), which can be found here: http://sdklounge.com/forums/index.php/board,18.0.html

I really enjoy mapping, and with my discovery of OC I'm sure I'll be starting to map for it.

---

Now, getting down to buisiness.

Why I'm Here:

I'm currently working on a large-scale co-op map for Garry's mod, and to go with it, I've been working on a basic LUA co-op gamemode. Currently players get money by killing npcs, then buy guns, ammo, and powerups using a simple gui menu, like CS. There will probably be some different classes as well, though I am fairly new to LUA, so those are up in the air.

Regardless, since a large part of a co-op map is co-operativeness, I am planning on using a Medkit (ala TFC) SWEP (Scripted WEaPon (Garry's mod)). I have currently posted a request for this model on the Facepunch (Gmod) forums.

After seeing screenshots of OC's ingame medkit model, I was wondering if OC would grant permission for the model to be used in the co-op map I am working on. More particularially, I am requesting permission to use this model as part of a SWEP (Scripted WEaPon) that will be used in this map. Credit will of course be given.

The map itself is still WIP, but I'll see about releasing some screenshots later on tonight.

Link to Garry's Mod model request post: http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/show ... p?t=230128

-DaMaN
Da_HL_MaN@yahoo.ca

P.S. After completing this co-op map in Gmod, I will most certainly convert it to OC.
Last edited by DaMaN on Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hell-met
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by Hell-met »

Welcome to the forums , enjoy your stay.
I'm sure skidz/hyper will reply as soon as possible.

PS : I love your maps. Finaldrive <3
Kinhoshi
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by Kinhoshi »

Yes, welcome to the forums. Have a nice stay/visit.
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Yes, yes! Feel free to look around! Welcome to th Obsidian Conflict forums!
Scrap
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Scrap »

Welcome , map till you die and may you never rest :twisted:
Mutant Enemy
npc_strider
npc_strider

Post by Mutant Enemy »

Oh yes a real mapper.

PS downloading both maps, the look sweet.
skidz
Obsidian Gold
Obsidian Gold

Post by skidz »

You can use the view model with one condition. Credits go to the Obsidian Conflict Team with a link to the mod if possible. That is all I ask. :wink:
Have fun, cant wait to see your map. But dont expect me to play Garrys mod. :lol:
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Wow! Thanks for all the compliments guys! I'm glad to see such a (somewhat) non-mingebag community!
skidz wrote:You can use the view model with one condition. Credits go to the Obsidian Conflict Team with a link to the mod if possible. That is all I ask. :wink:
Have fun, cant wait to see your map. But dont expect me to play Garrys mod. :lol:
Thanks! I'll be sure to include the Obsidian Conflict Team in the credits of the map. Do you mind if I also make an Easter Egg in the map that will display the mod's website? Oh, and I'll also post the mod's website and credits in the readme and on any releases, as usual.

I'm glad people are looking forwards to my map, it's comming along quite well. At the moment I only have one screenshot:

The map itself will be in a semi-coastal setting where the players have to make their way through a series of challenges with a bunch of loosely connected goals. There's not much storyline: the players were prisoners in a dropship until it crashed. The players now have to make their way out of a head-crab infested area and get to a town, where they can hopefully uncover information allowing them to attack a combine stronghold.

So far the map is getting quite large. The .vmf file is 5.73 megs (which, as most mappers know, is getting up there), and the map area currently covers approximately one-quarter of the avaliable area in Hammer. (Only horizontally, the map is pretty flat) It'll probably cover another quarter by the time it's finished. (Oh, and no lag yet either!)

It's not super-detailed, I'm going much more for gameplay than looks on this one.

Anyways, once it's finished, I'll re-compile it for OC, though I'll probably have to add in weapons (currently, players get weapons by buying them through a CS:S-style menu)

And I don't expect you to play Garry's mod :)

Though when I release the map for OC I will expect you to play it!!
Last edited by DaMaN on Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Maybe you can release your map with version 1.3, where the npc_merchant (hopefully) will be available. It's an npc that sells stuff to players.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Oniyuri wrote:Maybe you can release your map with version 1.3, where the npc_merchant (hopefully) will be available. It's an npc that sells stuff to players.
Hey! That'd be really cool! That could prevent people from buying the most powerful weapon right at the beginning of the map (if they had enough money of course).
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
Svanrog
Combine Rebel
Combine Rebel

Post by Svanrog »

Only bad thing is that it's probably quite a long time until we get our hands on merchant and 1.3. Until then you'll have to release the map with the weapons lying all around. Though it should be possible to create a shop using hammer. :?
[JSC][GU]PREDATOR
Obsidian Premium
Obsidian Premium

Post by [JSC][GU]PREDATOR »

That should give him more time to get the map ready. :lol:
HBK
Banned

Post by HBK »

Man, that's a killer! That one might be the most succesful looking maps in here for a long time. Keep it up.
Hickadam
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by Hickadam »

Sir, welcome to the forums.

And thank you for existing.
Kinhoshi
npc_combine_s
npc_combine_s

Post by Kinhoshi »

Heh, that looks pretty neat. Though, I've never heard of you, you seem to be pretty popular. o.o