Oc_Minimission

Release your amazing Map creations here!
Blues
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Blues »

Hey, man, don't be too sad, you can still work for synergy :) :lmao:

No, really, don't be sad! Not all the hope is lost for you. :D
Noone ever made a perfect first map... at least there are not many who did this... and there are people who made and presented even worse first maps than yours... at least i think so..

For a map, you gotta take your time. You gotta do some brainstorming. Then you might maybe want to write down good ideas when they come, so you won't forget them later.
After that you can maybe think about what your map will look like and plan it somehow, then you can build it.
-> What DaMaN already said: Textures - you have to choose well and see what looks good and what does not.
Detailed brushwork might also add to the feeling and the ambience of a map. Don't forget to use func_detail here for small and/or angular brushes or the performance will suck and the compile will take a lot of time.
Lights: you have to put lights in every map. you can create a lot of different ambiences by just playing with lights and their different settings. Don't just drop white lights without any visible light source in your maps.
Which leads us to props: use the different prop_* entities to place models in your maps (like lamps and crates). This will look good and make your map appear less vast and empty. also it is better for the style and performance of your map than making things like lamps or trucks (or helis like in helicave) out of brushes.

That's what came in my mind right now and what i thought would help you...

But you can always add me in steam friends and ask me if you have any questions concerning mapping, modelling or whatever :)
Image Image Image

Excuse me for being rude. I'm usually drunk while posting.
LinkNEO
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by LinkNEO »

Vasili wrote:HOLY SHIT
A Challenger Appears.
LOL
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote:Though one tip for you. where you have 'internal' walls either tie the brushes to a func_detail, or raise them so they meet the ceiling and vbsp might actually mix up the visleafs a bit for you.
You can also fix the visleaf issue with low internal walls by having a room-size horizontal hintbrush across the tops of the internal walls. (I think there's an example map that Valve gives you that explains hintbrushes a lot.)

Though that's probably a bit more advanced than what NickEspitia needs to know right now. ;)
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
NickEspitia
Map Thief

Post by NickEspitia »

Well thanks for all the tips everyone i've been thinking a map and writing them down also drawing stuff.
NickEspitia was here hehehe...
shiftey
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by shiftey »

For some inspiration you might wanna play the oc_c17 maps, the antlion map, oc_waking_dead, fug4life's mapadds, Tysn's maps, and as much as i hate to say it joescoma has some nice maps in terms of entity placement. **Take his visual style of mapping as what not to do though. A lot of it is poor and fullbright.**
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Well all I can say is: try and get better than me and you'll be alright.
But really though, my first map did have lights and more than 1 texture.

EDIT:
Don't USE OTHER MAPS FOR INSPIRATION LOOK AROUND YOU FOR INSPIRATION, GO TO A TRAINSTATION AND IMAGINE COMBINE SHOOTING AT YOU - GO TO PRIPYAT AND MAKE RADIOACTIVITY IN THE LAND.
Neico
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Neico »

Vasili wrote:Well all I can say is: try and get better than me and you'll be alright.
and still looks the same as the first version even it's now v2 or v5 whatever....
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

Neico wrote:
Vasili wrote:Well all I can say is: try and get better than me and you'll be alright.
and still looks the same as the first version even it's now v2 or v5 whatever....
or so you think. :D
HBK
Banned

Post by HBK »

This map describes better than words what OC is like nowadays. Yes, it is actually that fraking plain. Can't you see? This map is just a fraking insult towards the Obsidian Confilct community. Are you offended? WELL YOU SHOULD BE!

JUST LOOK AT IT!
sven666
npc_citizen
npc_citizen

Post by sven666 »

Damn, you right Vasili, It will be hard to make better one !!
I'm must recover my steam to try an attack against !!
Old
Vasili
npc_helicopter
npc_helicopter

Post by Vasili »

HBK wrote:This map describes better than words what OC is like nowadays. Yes, it is actually that fraking plain. Can't you see? This map is just a fraking insult towards the Obsidian Confilct community. Are you offended? WELL YOU SHOULD BE!

JUST LOOK AT IT!
Oh you're back?

But I'm offended!
My f*cking throne of crap has been stolen
*Makes oc_train_v2c crap, but phails"
cementiet
prop_physics
prop_physics

Post by cementiet »

Wel it is me or are some people just releasing maps just to release them... sorry but this it not worth it to dl...

if its your first time in hammer dont release anything...
cus its 99.99999999999999999999999999% chance that it wil suc
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

cementiet wrote:cus its 99.99999999999999999999999999% chance that it wil suc
Just like your grammar!
Doctor-Berry
Vertex
Vertex

Post by Doctor-Berry »

and inability to check dates before posting, amIright?
Keychain
Obsidian Veteran
Obsidian Veteran

Post by Keychain »

Yup.