oc_antlion_attack_01

Release your amazing Map creations here!

What would you like to see next?

Dusk version of the map (IE different lighting)
3%
Night version of the map (IE different lighting)
10%
Episode 2 NPCs (IE antlion workers)
28%
A sequel? (IE oc_antlion_attack_02)
49%
Some really annoying bug fixed that I haven't found?
10%

Total votes: 39

DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Played a bunch on a few servers today. Lots of fun. Thanks to all those for all the suggestions I got while playing!

I'm just playing around with adding ep2 npcs now, but I can't seem to add either the antlion worker or the antlion grub.

The antlion worker I can spawn ingame with "npc_create npc_antlionworker" and everything works great, but it's not in the fgd apparently. Also, the antlion grub is just an error model.

Any ideas?
Current projects: Return to City 17 and Rising Dead
Also, check out my Blag: http://daman-amappersworld.blogspot.com/
Hydra
prop_static
prop_static

Post by Hydra »

I'm no mapper, but when I played EP2, it's name was "npc_antlion", and yesterday when I played a map which was supposed to be for HL2DM, it had workers in it. W0rf0x said something about worker flags.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

You've got two ways to get a worker into your map.

1. Use a npc_maker (not a npc_template_maker).

I used the above method.

2. Use the npc_antlion_maker entity and specify a percentage of the antlions in each pool to be antlionworkers.

Grub was error for me too I think although I was never serious about using, also try a npc_maker for the grub.
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
Deathy
npc_metropolice
npc_metropolice

Post by Deathy »

I played antlion_attack last night with a few friends (we were 3 in total).
Really nice idea and great implementation of it: Was a lot of fun!! :D

here's some suggestion:
The Antlion guard in the 2nd or 3rd wave was kinda lame tbh.. He did not do anything besides idling around a rock (ok he still moved a bit) but I rather thought of something, when you can't kill him fast enough, he'll break a hole into the base hull or something. Just some thing that makes him dangerous.

Turrets were very effective (especially, when Ants hop into your base and start chasing you) but they're far too cheap (we played on Medium with 3 people). In the end we had I think 5 or 6 turrets guarding our base and killing everything that ventured to enter our base. :twisted:
You may could even use the EP2 ones.. because they explode after an X amount of shooting (or time?! idk).

That's it so far.. as I said, well done and EP2 NPCs AND a sequel would be awesome.
oc_28-seconds-later_b2 (90% - on halt)
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Hydra wrote:I'm no mapper, but when I played EP2, it's name was "npc_antlion", and yesterday when I played a map which was supposed to be for HL2DM, it had workers in it. W0rf0x said something about worker flags.
fug4life wrote:You've got two ways to get a worker into your map.

1. Use a npc_maker (not a npc_template_maker).

I used the above method.

2. Use the npc_antlion_maker entity and specify a percentage of the antlions in each pool to be antlionworkers.

Grub was error for me too I think although I was never serious about using, also try a npc_maker for the grub.
Aha! Found it. Thanks Hydra! It's a flag on the antlion npc. Dur. Although fug, I like the antlion_maker entity to specify a percentage to be workers - that's also a good idea (think I'll use that in the map, too).

I'll try an npc_maker for the grub, but even when I made it ingame it was an error. Perhaps I'll just extract the files from the ep2 .gcf and pakrat them in.
Deathy wrote:I played antlion_attack last night with a few friends (we were 3 in total).
Really nice idea and great implementation of it: Was a lot of fun!! :D
Thanks! :D
here's some suggestion:
The Antlion guard in the 2nd or 3rd wave was kinda lame tbh.. He did not do anything besides idling around a rock (ok he still moved a bit) but I rather thought of something, when you can't kill him fast enough, he'll break a hole into the base hull or something. Just some thing that makes him dangerous.
Well, ordinarily, the antlion guard is supposed to run around the base and bash open the door, then start wreaking havoc on the base. He seems to get a bit stuck, so I'll see if I can tweak him to run properly. Though I like the idea of him gouging huge holes in the front of the base...
I'd have to set up some sequences and see how he plays them out.
Turrets were very effective (especially, when Ants hop into your base and start chasing you) but they're far too cheap (we played on Medium with 3 people). In the end we had I think 5 or 6 turrets guarding our base and killing everything that ventured to enter our base. :twisted:
You may could even use the EP2 ones.. because they explode after an X amount of shooting (or time?! idk).
I've been getting a lot of this from people. The turrets are too powerful. So, should I increase the price or remove them altogether?
That's it so far.. as I said, well done and EP2 NPCs AND a sequel would be awesome.
Haha, I'll see what I can do ;)

Busy right now with return to city 17, but I'm working on antlion_attack while return to city 17 is compiling ;)
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Ok, just finished some more tweaks to antlion_attack. I'll be re-releasing it (again) sometime soon. Probably while compiling return to city 17 bits.

+ Added the point_message_multiplayers from W0rf0x (actually I just opened the VMF up in a text editor and copy/pasted the values. It was kinda cool.)
+ Added more stuff for the antlionguards to do. Lots of fun stuff.
+ Added a button outside! Yay! (TBH I thought it was kind of a teamwork thing when I only put the button inside - like, you'd have to co-operate with your team. As I realized when playing with lots of people, that's not always true, as they're usually too busy ammoing up or fighting off antlions)
+ Made the waves last a little bit longer, with a little less "breathing room". Especially for Hard mode.
+ Made hard mode harder
+ Nocollide trigger in dropship
+ Last but not least: added Antlion Workers. Which are pretty awesome, and a very nice addition to the map. BTW will antlion workers work if you don't have ep2? I'll check...

Oh, and last but not least, I have a very important question to ask regarding map versions:
Which is better: different name or keeping same name? (For the map)
IE should it be oc_antlion_attack_01a.bsp? or oc_antlion_attack_01.bsp? I gotta say, it's kind of annoying having to get everyone to delete their old copies in order for them to download it from the server, but then again it's also annoying if you have a map split into two maps, such as mapname_03a and mapname_03aa, for example. I dunno...
Tono-Tako
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by Tono-Tako »

DaMaN wrote:Ok, just finished some more tweaks to antlion_attack. I'll be re-releasing it (again) sometime soon. Probably while compiling return to city 17 bits.

+ Added the point_message_multiplayers from W0rf0x (actually I just opened the VMF up in a text editor and copy/pasted the values. It was kinda cool.)
+ Added more stuff for the antlionguards to do. Lots of fun stuff.
+ Added a button outside! Yay! (TBH I thought it was kind of a teamwork thing when I only put the button inside - like, you'd have to co-operate with your team. As I realized when playing with lots of people, that's not always true, as they're usually too busy ammoing up or fighting off antlions)
+ Made the waves last a little bit longer, with a little less "breathing room". Especially for Hard mode.
+ Made hard mode harder
+ Nocollide trigger in dropship
+ Last but not least: added Antlion Workers. Which are pretty awesome, and a very nice addition to the map. BTW will antlion workers work if you don't have ep2? I'll check...

Oh, and last but not least, I have a very important question to ask regarding map versions:
Which is better: different name or keeping same name? (For the map)
IE should it be oc_antlion_attack_01a.bsp? or oc_antlion_attack_01.bsp? I gotta say, it's kind of annoying having to get everyone to delete their old copies in order for them to download it from the server, but then again it's also annoying if you have a map split into two maps, such as mapname_03a and mapname_03aa, for example. I dunno...
since 1.33 antlions doesnt need ep2 mounted.
oc_antlion_attack_01a its fine.
you should indicate the price of each weapon.
Vote for obsidian conflict in moddb
One click a day doesnt hurt your finger
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

Tono-Tako wrote:since 1.33 antlions doesnt need ep2 mounted.
oc_antlion_attack_01a its fine.
you should indicate the price of each weapon.
Thanks.
Ok fine.
Bleeeh. (Means more work)
Shana
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Post by Shana »

We could release the new version with the next patch, then you could keep the name.
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

W0rf0x wrote:We could release the new version with the next patch, then you could keep the name.
That could work, though I might have this next version out in a few days...

The whole naming thing is a bit odd. I mean, I'm used to just releasing one version of a map and that's that. Of course, that's a pretty crappy way to do it, as you keep coming up with improvements even after you've released, so the letter system makes sense in that case. But if you have a series, then having a letter could be confusing - does it indicate a new version or a different map? Perhaps I should just abandon using letters to denote different maps - everyone else seems to. Aww, then Return to City 17 looses it's nice round 10, and turns into ugly 11. Though 11 is prime, so I guess that's something...

Ok, it's too late to be thinking. Another compile, then bed.
fug4life
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by fug4life »

I think the latest release is stable playable enough to keep people going.
By all means finish this map up as soon as possible, but I'd keep the next version so it can go official. One its a good enough map in its own right (despite the hordes of Starshiptrooper maps this is by far one of the best). And I think its healthy that the Obsidian as a mod has one - three quality new or official maps per release patch. I used to always go for mod updates that atleast offered new maps aswell as fixes. I know its a tall order to achieve something like that but it can be a target. If not maps, features!
'I would probably smarten up before you meet Violet'.
'She has zero tolerance for idiots'.

fug's Obsidian files
fug's Obsidian clips
Obsidian wiki
Obsidian Map Database
DaMaN
npc_combinegunship
npc_combinegunship

Post by DaMaN »

fug4life wrote:I think the latest release is stable playable enough to keep people going.
By all means finish this map up as soon as possible, but I'd keep the next version so it can go official. One its a good enough map in its own right (despite the hordes of Starshiptrooper maps this is by far one of the best). And I think its healthy that the Obsidian as a mod has one - three quality new or official maps per release patch. I used to always go for mod updates that atleast offered new maps aswell as fixes. I know its a tall order to achieve something like that but it can be a target. If not maps, features!
:) Thanks fug!

Yea, OK, I'll probably just package it up for a patch release. ;)

In the meantime, I've got plenty of other maps to work on and release. Especially Return to City 17. ;)
THAT CAKE IS A SPY
Pixel

Post by THAT CAKE IS A SPY »

Suggestion I have. Trenches are in the front and they have manable machine guns and ammo. Bad news antgaurds can just walk over them and go to the walls. Why did i come up with trenches with fire power so poeple will sit there and shoot the machine guns and be in cover from the adcids. Also there should be where you can call for a heli that shoots rockets and bullets at all antlions for 1 minute it should cost 500 and have reinforcements A.K.A friendly combine arrive in drop ships with such and that should cost 1000 and buy 2 thumpers 1500 but ants should be able to get through maybe a thumper behind the base where the ants come from and in front so the ants stay there and get mowed down.

Artillary!!! in the back :D you load up the moters and fire moter shell cost 5. thats all i have when i think of some more ill post them.
I think of ideas for maps dont judge me i like ideas for maps that they will use :P
Datastream
Donator
Donator

Post by Datastream »

Antlion attack is an awesome map. I want more defense maps like this!

The map is best by day and the different difficulties are perfect. Though I managed to beat easy on my own.

When is part 2 gonna come out?
JerC
Donator
Donator

Post by JerC »

Datastream wrote: When is part 2 gonna come out?
Never.
Please don't take my posts before 2013 too seriously. It will be better for both you and I :c